• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

There are so many amp makers out there today, but honestly the classics have survived for a reason. It seems like every 8 years or so there is a new fad amp. It used to be Fender, then Vox then Mesa, then H&K, then Bogner, now it is Dr. Z and New Vintage...

I don't even pay attention to any of that **** anymore.

My Fenders (or my 335) + some Marshalls + maybe a few effects like a Big Muff or a little push, and my original Ibanez WH-10 wah = perfection.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't even pay attention to any of that **** anymore.
My Fenders (or my 335) + some Marshalls + maybe a few effects like a Big Muff or a little push, and my original Ibanez WH-10 wah = perfection.

Yeah, part of the reason is life takes over. I barely have the time to play anymore let alone keep up with amps and such. In high school I lived it, but now forget it. I recently sold so much stuff I had collecting dust in my parent's basement. Actually, I have been incredibly out of the loop in the music world all together. After college I can't tell you what new bands have popped up.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So today this is happening. Historically accurate hand wound PAF replicas:

NewImage-13.jpg

dganderson

Reaction score
So I bought a new guitar yesterday, an Ibanez RG3EXFM1, just to mess around on (and it was only $200 so I'm not breaking the bank). Normally I play Fender Strats and Teles through a Vox AC15 with a Fulltone Full-Drive 2 to get some dirt. The Ibanez sounds okay through this set up but I think I want to buy another overdrive or distortion pedal to get a tighter and more singing lead tone. Any suggestions? I don't really have much time right now to go out and spend hours testing out pedals so I thought that I might ask for a few recommendations to help the process along. Thanks for the input.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I finally got my first tube amp....a huge step up from the cheapo solid state practice amps:
IMG_4938.jpg

at 10W it's still too loud for my apartment :satisfied:

That is neat but the price of a mini rectifier is simply absurd for what you're getting.

Last edited:

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, I view a mini rectifier as a simple jam at home amp for the scenario where you are leaving your main rig at your band's practice space or you're just a casual jammer at home. To fill that role I'd just buy a small peavey or something for a lot less money. I mean, ****, you can get a 6505 2x12 combo for the same cost.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So I bought a new guitar yesterday, an Ibanez RG3EXFM1, just to mess around on (and it was only $200 so I'm not breaking the bank). Normally I play Fender Strats and Teles through a Vox AC15 with a Fulltone Full-Drive 2 to get some dirt. The Ibanez sounds okay through this set up but I think I want to buy another overdrive or distortion pedal to get a tighter and more singing lead tone. Any suggestions? I don't really have much time right now to go out and spend hours testing out pedals so I thought that I might ask for a few recommendations to help the process along. Thanks for the input.

It depends on what kind of music you play. Honestly Analog Man's Beano Boost is the only kind of boost pedal I would ever consider using. I don't really like overdrive pedals that color your guitar's sound too much. I like just running the amp very loud and distorted and using the guitars volume and tone knobs to go clean.

These are gonna be nice.

We will see, I haven't played them yet.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never played this, but maybe look into a Suhr Riot?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, part of the reason is life takes over. I barely have the time to play anymore let alone keep up with amps and such. In high school I lived it, but now forget it. I recently sold so much stuff I had collecting dust in my parent's basement. Actually, I have been incredibly out of the loop in the music world all together. After college I can't tell you what new bands have popped up.

This has been my downfall. Used to be able to repeat back any spec of any piece of anything in guitar center. Now I'm lucky if I can strum a bit on the weekends.

Dream setup though is still a late 60's 335 through a vintage VoxAC30.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This has been my downfall. Used to be able to repeat back any spec of any piece of anything in guitar center. Now I'm lucky if I can strum a bit on the weekends.
Dream setup though is still a late 60's 335 through a vintage VoxAC30.

Classic combo! The new handwired AC30's are awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads