• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The highest-end acoustic guitar luthiers have all converted to poly, since when done right, it can be applied much, much thinner than nitro, placing less burden on the wood and allowing it to resonate more.

resonation in electric guitars is what dampens sustain. Unless you're playing a jazz box, you don't want excessive resonance.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

resonation in electric guitars is what dampens sustain. Unless you're playing a jazz box, you don't want excessive resonance.

Who said anything about excessive?

Take a Les Paul, for example. Sustain is not an issue, as mahagony is a heavy, dense wood. Energy travels more slowly through it. However, it can easily sound dark or murky. In contrast, resonance tends to increase clarity and acoustic volume. Hence, Les Pauls with lighter mahogany bodies are generally more valued.

The point is, you need balance. Heavier wood being cheaper than lighter wood of the same variety (true for the ash and alder used in strats, too), a lack of resonance is more likely to be a problem than a lack of sustain.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Matt, I think that is only internet groupthink fueled by flawed logic honestly.

Late fifties Les Paul's were lighter.

Every recorded player with a late fifties les paul sounds awesome.

Lighter Les Paul's must have better tone.

Essentially late fifties les Paul's sound better because all of the examples of hearing them were played by great guitarists primarily because they were cheap back in the day and less sought after than Fenders. It is more of a mystique than anything.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm going to say something that is probably heresy here.

I've noticed that great guitar players play guitar greatly. Doesn't matter what they're playing, above a certain threshold, they just sound great no matter what they're playing.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason heavy LPs sound "murky" is nothing to do with the weight of the wood, it's because when the heavy ones were produced coincided with changes in electronics that were for the worse:

1. Concentration on higher output pickups to drive amps harder. Higher output pickups are inherently more mids-y and bassy and less scooped or chimey tjan low output pickups like the classic 50s ones. high output pickups generally end up sounding muddy unless they're made differently by utilizing ceramic or other types of magnets or just going for active pickups.

2. Movement away from 50s wiring that prevents treble roll of when you turn down the volume pot. This was a great idea and i don't know why they stopped doing it.

3. The utterly inexplicable decision by Gibson to use 300 or even 100k pots when every man and his dog knows humbuckers should have 500k. This is the most critical one. Take any 50s lp and put a 300k pot in it. Sounds bloody awful. Do the opposite with a 70s lp and it sounds excellent.

None of this has anything to do with resonance.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Exactly. They sound good because they are good themselves.

Which is not to say us duffers do not have fun collecting or chasing gear. This is the case of all hobbies/leisure pursuits. The important thing is to have the self awareness to realize it's not our gear or equipment limiting us, no matter what activity we're pursuing, but rather our innate ability and our time to dedicate to the pursuit. The best guitarist in the world could not step into either one of our jobs without years of training and it's important to realize these pursuits of ours are just to relax and make life worth living.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Matt, I think that is only internet groupthink fueled by flawed logic honestly.

Late fifties Les Paul's were lighter.

Every recorded player with a late fifties les paul sounds awesome.

Lighter Les Paul's must have better tone.

Essentially late fifties les Paul's sound better because all of the examples of hearing them were played by great guitarists primarily because they were cheap back in the day and less sought after than Fenders. It is more of a mystique than anything.

Obviously a better player can play better--but not all 50's LPs sound equally good in the same hands. Some '59 Bursts are known to be total duds.

There is no mystical power at work here. We're talking about wood, steel, and magnets. It only makes sense that wood density and weight would effect tone. I might suck, but I still get a better tone out of some guitars versus others.

The reason heavy LPs sound "murky" is nothing to do with the weight of the wood, it's because when the heavy ones were produced coincided with changes in electronics that were for the worse:

1. Concentration on higher output pickups to drive amps harder. Higher output pickups are inherently more mids-y and bassy and less scooped or chimey tjan low output pickups like the classic 50s ones. high output pickups generally end up sounding muddy unless they're made differently by utilizing ceramic or other types of magnets or just going for active pickups.

2. Movement away from 50s wiring that prevents treble roll of when you turn down the volume pot. This was a great idea and i don't know why they stopped doing it.

3. The utterly inexplicable decision by Gibson to use 300 or even 100k pots when every man and his dog knows humbuckers should have 500k. This is the most critical one. Take any 50s lp and put a 300k pot in it. Sounds bloody awful. Do the opposite with a 70s lp and it sounds excellent.

None of this has anything to do with resonance.

This has been debated again and again on other forums. Wood resonance matters because it influences string resonance. Take current production Historic Reissue LPs. Weight is one of the factors that most consistently affects tone. Neck thickness, too.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course wood resonance has an impact on string resonance. It has a negative influence in that it reduces sustain.

It has no impact on tone, which is entirely to do with the relationship between the strings, the pickups, any inductance in the circuit i.e. pots and cables and and the amp input.

Unless the unplugged sound of your electric guitar is a big deal to you or you're interested in reducing sustain, wood is an entirely aesthetic or romantic consideration.

I have no problem with these romanticisms, Id just prefer it if silly ideas weren't perpetuated.

There is one other consideration to make- denser woods are less microphonic. That's largely irrelevant when there are plenty of silent pickups on the market today.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That elusive ghost in the machine...

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my direct rig, with some helpful guidelines for those confused:

Last edited:

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're all boring.

Here's a picture of BB King playing an ES-5 and wearing Thom Browne.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pocketsquareguy has one from 1955 I believe. Might even be on the first page!

I'm guessing it is three tones and one master volume near the pickguard.

Last edited:

Sabrosa

Reaction score
Pretty sure the 3 lower knobs on the ES-5 are for volume in replacement of a pickup selector and the knob up top is a master tone control.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads