1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

You get shit for a cheap ass Blackstar, not a 1 watt amp.

1 person likes this.
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I love that little head.

3. patrickBOOTH

TWSS

1 person likes this.
  4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

and I have double doors, which blocks excessive sound.

upstate, we just take over the basement and crank everything as loud as we please.

5. patrickBOOTH

Yeah, at my parents I had a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier half stack. It was insane.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I had one of those too. Never really understood that amp.

I was up there back in May, and spent lots of time blasting the Silver Jubilee. Really great amp, and can switch between 25 and 50 watts.

7. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

You're right, I don't need hot pickups in my setup. I like them though.

Personally I like using preamps with speaker sims running into acoustic guitar amps that are clean as a whistle and have wider range speakers. All my distortion / compression comes from the preamp. The acoustic amp (or keyboard amp) is like a mobile, powered PA.

But I don't think most people would get along with that setup.

"traditionally" good solid state amps are the Sunn Beta heads, Gibson Lab Series amps, Randall ss amps (Dimebag used these), the Polytone amps (brute, mini brute etc) and old Roland cubes and of course the jazz chorus.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  8. double00

double00 Senior member

^^^ what no jazz chorus?

9. patrickBOOTH

10. patrickBOOTH

I've only played the Roland Jazz Chorus once years ago and it did have a great clean sound.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Okay, now I know how Foo feels. New bass was scheduled to be delivered by USPS Saturday. I wait at home for carrier. She pulled up in my driveway, starting searching through the back of her truck, and I walk out to carry it for her as she's a little thing. Ten minutes of searching and no package. I tell her, okay, no one is home during the work week but just leave it at the door no matter what the instructions are. She agrees.

Yesterday USPS website states, "Tracking for package temporarily interrupted." I figure it's lost.

Just now got text update stupid cunt has left notice at my front door for "redelivery" as no one was home.

Fuck USPS.

1 person likes this.
  12. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

13. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Yeah I ninja edited.

1 person likes this.
  14. double00

double00 Senior member

and fuck fedex.

last friday i got my gibby "delivered" by fedex. i live in an apartment and the guy turned around at the gate. left a note, i called and explained that we have a package room. the guy came back and the package room refused?! they tried to send the guy into the building cause they get full fast and the guy drove off.

so i had to drive to the package center and they basically didn't want to give me my guitar there either. said they would try to redeliver on monday?! oh okay. twice on friday it was yards from my door and they couldn't get the job done. fuckers.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Went to the dispatch post office on the way home. They tell me my package will not be available for pick up until tomorrow at 8:30am per their internal website. I tell the drone their website said it was going to be delivered Saturday, and today it said "to be redelivered" because no one was home except my wife watched her drive right by without getting of her truck, so maybe going to look in the back before I get upset would be cool. Drone rolls his eyes and goes to look...and comes back with it ten minutes later.

Fuck USPS but my new J bass is beautiful.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    4 people like this.
  16. patrickBOOTH

Are you changing the pickguard?

17. patrickBOOTH

I find it crazy that so many of these famous jazz musicians knew music theory and could execute it as they did. Weren't most of them drunkards and heroin addicts? It almost leads me to believe (or just wonder) if they played totally based on having a feel for the music and not so much "knowing theory" and it all just happens to fit into these rules that we learn today. No idea.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Change it to what? Not white as I hate white pickguards for some reason.

What I'm going to change for sure is the bridge. Extensive reading on talkbass.com indicates this particular bridge is not the most stable. Can't decide on a BadAss II or a different one. Once I decide I'll buy it and take it into a local, really well known shop, and have them set it up, install the bridge, and maybe put on better strings. Should bet set for a lifetime then.

19. patrickBOOTH

I just think the black pick guard looks weird on it. Also, if you were going to change it I would buy that one from you for when I get mine. :)

1 person likes this.
  20. double00

double00 Senior member

^^^ hard to tell, i'm guessing that's candy apple red? i've seen some offset fenders with red tortie on CAR and they look badass.

i had an acoustic once that came to me without a pick guard (?!) so when i had it set up i perused the shop's selection of pickguards there on the spot. i would recommend taste-testing in person. i think it'd be hard to guess at what would look right trying to order through a computer screen. white balance etc...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015