• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Scurvy, thanks. I REALLY need to read the books.
Because she is mother of dragons, aka, magic. RP and the LoL peeps have some sweet tricks too. Its a fantasy novel.

:facepalm:

She's the mother of dragons due to her bloodline. It's her bloodline that gives her claim to the throne of Westeros. It's why Robert wanted her assassinated.

In any feudal society bloodlines are important. As OTC said, when bloodlines get ignored, new myths need to get created to support why the new dynasty should be ruling. It is much more than "just whoever gathers enough allies and kills enough/the right people." If you do not think bloodlines are important within this diegesis you seriously are not getting much of this even if your whole view is shaped only by the HBO show.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, I'm not terribly upset about the whole Iron islands story being ignored, except for the impact their characters have on mainland plots. That part of the GRRM world is as boring as ****

I think the Iron Islanders are fascinating, but their story isn't all that memorable. I would like to see
Damphair ritually drowning people

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I think the Iron Islanders are fascinating, but their story isn't all that memorable. I would like to see

I'm looking forward to Victarion getting some screen time.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

That would be cool.
For me, one of the reasons the Iron Islanders weren't among my favorite storylines in the book is the whole big fish/small pond thing. Their outlandish warrior egos don't match their importance in the greater world. I get how it's related to how they've managed to carve out and maintain their little niche, etc., but when you're reading about them in the context of a broader epic encompassing the whole fictional realm, it ends up making them seem really petty and inconsequential. YMMV, obviously.

dlm4114

Reaction score

That would be cool.
For me, one of the reasons the Iron Islanders weren't among my favorite storylines in the book is the whole big fish/small pond thing. Their outlandish warrior egos don't match their importance in the greater world. I get how it's related to how they've managed to carve out and maintain their little niche, etc., but when you're reading about them in the context of a broader epic encompassing the whole fictional realm, it ends up making them seem really petty and inconsequential. YMMV, obviously.

I've never been quite able to put my finger on why I don't like the II plot line too much, but you hit the nail on the head -- well said. Although I do enjoy Victarion POVs (but not entirely because of him) and I think Euron is, at this point in the story, a pretty compelling character.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:facepalm:

She's the mother of dragons due to her bloodline. It's her bloodline that gives her claim to the throne of Westeros. It's why Robert wanted her assassinated.

In any feudal society bloodlines are important. As OTC said, when bloodlines get ignored, new myths need to get created to support why the new dynasty should be ruling. It is much more than "just whoever gathers enough allies and kills enough/the right people." If you do not think bloodlines are important within this diegesis you seriously are not getting much of this even if your whole view is shaped only by the HBO show.

Every big family has a bloodline. Are they all the true heirs to throne? No. Whoever wins and can stay in power gets the throne. Right now, its the lannisters. Joffrey is a lannister from both parents and tywin is running things.

In a few years, who knows.

lawyerdad

Reaction score

I've never been quite able to put my finger on why I don't like the II plot line too much,

Neither can Theon. :rimshot:

Dammit, it's probably a better joke as, "Neither can Jaime", even though that doesn't have the Iron Islands connection . . .

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You need to spoiler that ****, come on. Book spoilers go in spoiler tags.

One i haven't read the books and have no intention too. Second Joffrey has to be one of the most despicable brats on TV and he deserves a slow lingering death. Third the next series won't go to air till April 2014.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the shoe he comes off a guy who is NOT leading. He is just being jerked around by the RP, Davos and whoever else is around. Comes off as a total tool.

And imo no one has a "right" to the throne. Its just whoever gathers enough allies and kills enough/the right people to get it. Its war. Winner take all.

No one gives a **** who is the first man king of the sandals and the forgotten boanar.

You are mistaken the right to the throne with the ability to get the throne.

Stannis has the right to the throne. Wether he gets it or not is a different question.

lawyerdad

Reaction score

You are mistaken the right to the throne with the ability to get the throne.

Stannis has the right to the throne. Wether he gets it or not is a different question.

Doesn't Stannis' claim of right just derive from the fact that his brother had the ability to seize the throne?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking forward to Victarion getting some screen time.

Dude, Trade Vic is one of my favorite characters. Ass. Kicker.

Also:
you gotta figure that the dragon horn has some relevance and thus the Iron Islands story needs to be developed somewhat

Last edited:

dlm4114

Reaction score

Doesn't Stannis' claim of right just derive from the fact that his brother had the ability to seize the throne?

Actually, other than Dany, Stannis is currently heir to the Mad King. Aerys' mother is his grandmother (might be off by a generation, but that's the gist of it). And it is part of ASOIAF lore that the old Baratheon "storm kings" started out with bastard Targ blood IIRC.

But it is essentially just right of conquest.

dlm4114

Reaction score

Martin already released a chapter of the next book. Stannis and Theon are both alive.

So now that the off season is upon us, I can't wait to see who will play Oberyn Martell. Naveen Andrews' name has been thrown around, and he seems like a possibility. Although I pictured the Dornish looking more Spanish/North Mediterranean than South Asian/Middle eastern

IIRC that due to the chronological goofiness of AFFC and ADWD you can't say that for sure -- I am pretty sure that the beginning of TWOW predates the end of ADWD. I agree with you though, FWIW.

dlm4114

Reaction score

Neither can Theon. :rimshot:

Dammit, it's probably a better joke as, "Neither can Jaime", even though that doesn't have the Iron Islands connection . . .

I think it still works -- didn't Ramsay start out by flaying his pinky... Finger? :rimshot:

lawyerdad

Reaction score

I think it still works -- didn't Ramsay start out by flaying his pinky... Finger? :rimshot:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Been a while since I read the books.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads