OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

:facepalm:

She's the mother of dragons due to her bloodline. It's her bloodline that gives her claim to the throne of Westeros. It's why Robert wanted her assassinated.

In any feudal society bloodlines are important. As OTC said, when bloodlines get ignored, new myths need to get created to support why the new dynasty should be ruling. It is much more than "just whoever gathers enough allies and kills enough/the right people." If you do not think bloodlines are important within this diegesis you seriously are not getting much of this even if your whole view is shaped only by the HBO show.

2. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I think the Iron Islanders are fascinating, but their story isn't all that memorable. I would like to see
    Damphair ritually drowning people

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I'm looking forward to Victarion getting some screen time.

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

That would be cool.
    For me, one of the reasons the Iron Islanders weren't among my favorite storylines in the book is the whole big fish/small pond thing. Their outlandish warrior egos don't match their importance in the greater world. I get how it's related to how they've managed to carve out and maintain their little niche, etc., but when you're reading about them in the context of a broader epic encompassing the whole fictional realm, it ends up making them seem really petty and inconsequential. YMMV, obviously.

5. dlm4114

dlm4114 Senior member

I've never been quite able to put my finger on why I don't like the II plot line too much, but you hit the nail on the head -- well said. Although I do enjoy Victarion POVs (but not entirely because of him) and I think Euron is, at this point in the story, a pretty compelling character.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Every big family has a bloodline. Are they all the true heirs to throne? No. Whoever wins and can stay in power gets the throne. Right now, its the lannisters. Joffrey is a lannister from both parents and tywin is running things.

In a few years, who knows.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Neither can Theon. :rimshot:

Dammit, it's probably a better joke as, "Neither can Jaime", even though that doesn't have the Iron Islands connection . . .

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

One i haven't read the books and have no intention too. Second Joffrey has to be one of the most despicable brats on TV and he deserves a slow lingering death. Third the next series won't go to air till April 2014.

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

You are mistaken the right to the throne with the ability to get the throne.

Stannis has the right to the throne. Wether he gets it or not is a different question.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Doesn't Stannis' claim of right just derive from the fact that his brother had the ability to seize the throne?

11. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Dude, Trade Vic is one of my favorite characters. Ass. Kicker.

Also:
    you gotta figure that the dragon horn has some relevance and thus the Iron Islands story needs to be developed somewhat

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

12. dlm4114

dlm4114 Senior member

Actually, other than Dany, Stannis is currently heir to the Mad King. Aerys' mother is his grandmother (might be off by a generation, but that's the gist of it). And it is part of ASOIAF lore that the old Baratheon "storm kings" started out with bastard Targ blood IIRC.

But it is essentially just right of conquest.

13. dlm4114

dlm4114 Senior member

IIRC that due to the chronological goofiness of AFFC and ADWD you can't say that for sure -- I am pretty sure that the beginning of TWOW predates the end of ADWD. I agree with you though, FWIW.

14. dlm4114

dlm4114 Senior member

I think it still works -- didn't Ramsay start out by flaying his pinky... Finger? :rimshot:

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Been a while since I read the books.