• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

in the show, it seems like jon will live. how is he left in the book?

stannis is a complete bumbling loser to me in the show. with no spine whatsoever.

Jon takes an arrow or two in the big meaty part of his leg as he escapes (and its not like wildlings had broad headed, finely wrought arrows). A pretty insignificant injury...more of a "something to remember me by". In the show he takes several hits to the torso...and still manages to ride back to castle black.
Probably to make it less cold hearted when they have him kill her next season--in the book I don't think it is clear who kills her (although I think he looses an arrow at a redhead and isn't sure), just that he finds her with an arrow sticking out...in the show I give it 6:1 odds that he recognizes her, hesitates for a second, and then releases the killing blow.

Don't forget...stannis is kind-of-sort-of the real king.

Joffrey is the queen's incest bastard, so if you accept that Robert took over the kingdom fair and square, then the throne rightfully belongs to his crotchety older brother and not to a Lannister bastard.

Dany may desire to be queen, but she really has to conquer it for it to belong to her family again. Rob was seceding, so I guess he had a legit claim to the north, but then everything he was doing were military operations on foreign soil.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't forget...stannis is kind-of-sort-of the real king.

Joffrey is the queen's incest bastard, so if you accept that Robert took over the kingdom fair and square, then the throne rightfully belongs to his crotchety older brother and not to a Lannister bastard.

Dany may desire to be queen, but she really has to conquer it for it to belong to her family again. Rob was seceding, so I guess he had a legit claim to the north, but then everything he was doing were military operations on foreign soil.

Stannis is the true King by right. He's the King of the Andals, the First Men, and the show forgotten Rhyonar. He's Lord Protector of the Realm and shows it by what he committed to do this episode. Much like Samwell Tarly's statement that the oath is to Protect the Realms of men.

Joffrey has no legal claim to the Throne. Robb had a claim to the North and mayhaps the Riverlands, which were never a Kingdom in and of themselves. Balon to the Iron Islands once declared open rebellion. Renly less of a claim than even Joffrey who believes himself to be Robert's true heir.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stannis is a complete bumbling loser to me in the show. with no spine whatsoever.

If that is the image that Stannis is portraying in the show, then it's a failure of the actor or the writers because that is not what Stannis should be. Stannis is the ultimate hardass. In fact, his tendency to be a hardass is his biggest weakness. The fact that Davos can change his mind is a sign of how much he cares for and respects Davos.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

If that is the image that Stannis is portraying in the show, then it's a failure of the actor or the writers because that is not what Stannis should be. Stannis is the ultimate stick-up-his-hardass. In fact, his tendency to be a hardass is his biggest weakness. The fact that Davos can change his mind is a sign of how much he cares for and respects Davos.

FTFY

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the shoe he comes off a guy who is NOT leading. He is just being jerked around by the RP, Davos and whoever else is around. Comes off as a total tool.

And imo no one has a "right" to the throne. Its just whoever gathers enough allies and kills enough/the right people to get it. Its war. Winner take all.

No one gives a **** who is the first man king of the sandals and the forgotten boanar.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You so do not get things.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it fine. Im just saying how the show portrays things imo.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picture it like you live in the middle ages.

We all recognize that the right leader has nothing to do with blood. The best leader could be anybody who has the right skills. The person with the right blood could be the absolute wrong leader (especially if you've got targaryen crazy-person blood).

The people in that time believe that the blood lines are holy. You have to start making up excuses when somebody changes up the leadership with a war (the gods willed it, otherwise he would have been defeated, thus he is the one true king).

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No kidding lol.

Munch, i understand that completely. But it seems the only people who think that are the people fighting for the crown. The show portrays no seeming kingdom wide belief in that. Its kind of follow whoever gets to you and has more power than you. That is how it comes off to me.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Stitch, why do the dragons listen to Dany?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No kidding lol.

Munch, i understand that completely. But it seems the only people who think that are the people fighting for the crown. The show portrays no seeming kingdom wide belief in that. Its kind of follow whoever gets to you and has more power than you. That is how it comes off to me.

The show has bungled Stannis' character. But, here's where it is as of this point in the timeline.

Renly was the charismatic brother so the Storm Lords flocked to him. He had not plan to take KL and was just traipsing through the countryside with no plan whatsoever. But, the Lords and smallfolk loved him b/c he looked like Robert and was very friendly. He brokered a nice wedding to get the Reach into his fold, but still doesn't use them effectively. Tywin's in the Riverlands, KL is unprotected, and he has Randyll Tarly, the Tyrell's best general ready to take KL for him with the largest host.

Stannis has the right to the throne as the true heir to Robert. He sends out ravens declaring himself king and that Joffrey and the other children are bred of incest. The smallfolk believe it, inside KL and in the countryside. Stannis, although terrible politically, has undermined his false nephew very well by this action. Stannis kills Renly for refusing to support Stannis' birthright and mocking him (the scene with the peach is one of the best in the books). BTW, Renly has Brienne carry his standard to the parlay. Melisandre carries Stannis'. And, Catelyn is there too. It's a very female empowering scene, with the right hand of two kings being women and a third elevated to equal with them.

Balon Greyjoy and all of the Iron Islanders are a bit of a joke. They always want to be independent. King Harren the Black held the Riverlands so they had some sustenance in those days, but the Iron Islands are not self-reliant and couldn't be a kingdom in their own right. He's just a pain ********** who sees an unguarded rear in the North and takes it opportunistically. He doesn't have the men or the funding to hold a kingdom and it makes little sense that he doesn't ally with some other declared King.

Renly's delay allowed Tywin to return and defend KL against Stannis. Plus, the Tyrell host joined the Lannister host (Mace is a bit of an opportunist himself). Tyrion was the hero of the battle, but got a bit of short shrift in the show. And, it was really the Tyrells who won against Stannis' Storm Lords, not Tywin's forces, but Tywin still got the credit b/c he is the Lannister.

Kingdom wide you've got Lannister supporters who are kept in line through money and threat of force. You've got Tyrells who support whomever has the best chance of success in their mind, so right now it's the Lannisters. And, you've got Stannis who has a more serious goal of protecting the realm and not winning the throne. Although he doesn't have support of the smallfolk,they surely don't support the Lannisters.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, I'm not terribly upset about the whole Iron islands story being ignored, except for the impact their characters have on mainland plots. That part of the GRRM world is as boring as ****

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scurvy, thanks. I REALLY need to read the books.

Stitch, why do the dragons listen to Dany?

Because she is mother of dragons, aka, magic. RP and the LoL peeps have some sweet tricks too. Its a fantasy novel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads