• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So happy for Ayra and Davos scenes. They really made the episode. Davos has been so undersold. He's such a major character, but they've basically had him in such a limited role. Finally he carried an episode.

Speaking of underutilized. Is Ser Barristan just a prop?

Otherwise it was a little slow and really no river funeral rites, no Nymeria. Wow, that disappoints.

Well at least Davos is not dead. I thought they so going to kill Davos...

Ser Barristan has less line/scene than the slave translator or Grey Worm.

Arya's last scene in the finale was an example of how much her story has gotten short shrift. The people that get killed in that fight aren't supposed to be randoms thugs, but people whose death carries a great deal of meaning for the character. It's the one moment of triumph, small as it is, for the Starks in the entire book. Here it's just Arya throwing a murderous tantrum.

Otherwise I liked it. And the first Arya scene was heartbreaking, moreso than last week. I was, however, disappointed about the lack of

I hope they play out Arya's theme better. It must be a very complicated feeling to kill someone for the first time. And it didn't really show.

wat?
--
agree with scurvy, aryas scene and davos' play were the best parts. lol @ the hound "next you are going to do that, tell me first."

and agree with munch, arya seeing the robb-wolf was heartbreaking.

the scene with tywin, tyrion, cersei, joffrey, pycelle (aka, old dusty dickbag) and varys, was excellent.

that makes all 3 seasons ending with danny. i have high hopes for her.

all in all, thought the episode was not bad at all.

Not a bad episode but not enough oomph for a season finale IMO.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When the little lord (bren?) was telling the ghost story about how someone killed guests in their own houses in deserted barrack(?), I really thought Lord Frey is going to die in this episode. :(

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well at least Davos is not dead.  I thought they so going to kill Davos...

nah, as soon as he pocketed that letter i knew he was gonna be ok.

Not a bad episode but not enough oomph for a season finale IMO.

the way i view it, since they are splitting the 3rd book, i looked at last weeks episode as the real "season finale" for the first half of book 3, and this week was just a set up for next season when they finish the book. i wasnt expecting a big epic episode like last week. but i was damn sure they were going to end it with dany, and i was not let down.

When the little lord (bren?) was telling the ghost story about how someone killed guests in their own houses in deserted barrack(?), I really thought Lord Frey is going to die in this episode.  :(

that would have been nice. le sigh.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[quote name="chogall" url="/t/212749/official-game-of-thrones-thread/3180

I hope they play out Arya's theme better.  It must be a very complicated feeling to kill someone for the first time.  And it didn't really show.

[/quote]

It wasn't her first. She said her first "man", but she killed the stable boy back in the first season.

Book Arya had already killed two people by this point in the story, but that's neither here nor there.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seanon finalie? What a crock of ****! I have to wait a year before that little **** Joffrey is offed?

FUBAR

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm not too upset about some of the character shortcuts and omissions. there are hundreds of characters and not enough time in a series to pay them all their due. and even if HBO was planning to go 20 seasons with GOT, even the most invested TV audience could get frustrated following all the plotlines.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that makes all 3 seasons ending with danny. i have high hopes for her.

all in all, thought the episode was not bad at all.

you're boned then, queen of dragons? More like queen of pointless durdling

Agree that Arya and the Hound are getting short shrift. Arya has so many great moments and is so fun to root for. . . I don't really understand why they are playing her down.

worakl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lackluster is the word that comes to mind about that finale.

Standout performance was Hodor, both with the echoing well and blushing when Sam said he'd heard all about him.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Standout performance was Hodor, both with the echoing well and blushing when Sam said he'd heard all about him.

its the HBO (and major network) SOP for the penultimate episode of a major series to be the action packed one. The succeeding season ending episode usually ties up story lines neatly in preparation for the next season in a more calm way. It was that way with The Wire and Sopranos.

The recent trend of superduper cliff hanger season ending episodes was reserved for more campy or less watched shows as a desperate way to cling on to viewership. Although breaking bad has used it effectively as a exception to the rule.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The guy isn't nearly weird looking enough to match my image of Hodor, but his "giant toddler" persona is dead on.

God if (or should I say when?) they kill Hodor it's going to be devastating.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seanon finalie? What a crock of ****! I have to wait a year before that little **** Joffrey is offed?
FUBAR

You need to spoiler that ****, come on. Book spoilers go in spoiler tags.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It was pretty meh for a season finale. I think two really good ways to have ended this season would have been:

1) You see Dondaren fall dead and LS eye's open (cut to black)

or

2) Have the damn wedding and let Joffery die, pandemonium, (fade to black with the noise of said pandemonium carrying through)

The whole Asha story line is changed beyond recognition at this point and that was a pretty big change in the Jon/Ygrette storyline. No Strong Belwas still bums me out. The Dany storyline is painfully plodding. All in all the series has been very well shot and fairly enjoyable but I think they really dropped the ball last night.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It was pretty meh for a season finale. I think two really good ways to have ended this season would have been:

1) You see Dondaren fall dead and LS eye's open (cut to black)

or

2) Have the damn wedding and let Joffery die, pandemonium, (fade to black with the noise of said pandemonium carrying through)

The whole Asha story line is changed beyond recognition at this point and that was a pretty big change in the Jon/Ygrette storyline. No Strong Belwas still bums me out. The Dany storyline is painfully plodding. All in all the series has been very well shot and fairly enjoyable but I think they really dropped the ball last night.

Two murder weddings in a row would have been overkill. The purple wedding is its own episode, probably the end of the first act next season around episode 3 or 4.

Lady Stoneheart should have showed up, though. Should have been the scene from the epilogue.

Like I said earlier, the Arya scene, which the newbies seemed to like, was a disappointment to me. In the book, it was a small moment of triumph. Here it felt sad and tawdry. The Tickler is already dead for some reason, and I don't even remember if Polliver was named in the show, so it would have to be someone else, but she could at least get her damn sword back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads