1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. worakl

worakl Senior Member

Yeah, PW is more of a catalyst than an ending, like Renly in S2.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

what is the book Jon/Ygrette storyline?

agree to all of this.

but i do think the arya scene was more than just tawdry. it was pretty emotion filled for her. she had a ton of anger she needed to get out and this was a great opportunity for her. it also seems to mark her change from having any little girl-ness in her, to being a stone cold killer.

3. munchausen

munchausen Distinguished Member

The really important death in the third book is the one that doesn't happen in public. Even more than Robb's death, Twyin's death completely changes the game. We won't know exactly how until the next book.

Non book readers who love spoilers (i.e. Stitches) will be glad to know that by the time we get to the end of the most recent book, the Lannisters are almost as fucked as the Starks are. And Stannis, of all people, is probably in the best position of any pretender in Westeros.

4. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Distinguished Member

Methinks that they, especially Arya aren't sexy characters (they gave as much screen time last season to Ros who doesn't exist and Shae). The first season, and even the first half of the second Sandor was just a prop. Sandor should have 2 more scenes with Sansa last season - he definitely should have intervened in the throne room in the scene where Joffrey was having the other Kingsguard beating Sansa.

And, Arya should have a had a lot more. This year they gave Ros less time but played up Margaery. It's HBO. Plus all of the Robb and Talisa scenes which were all whole cloth at the expense of Arya, Davos, Ser Barristan and a couple others.

Ser Barristan could have easily told Dany a story or two about Rhaegar and King Aerys already.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

But even at the end of the last book is it not left rather ambiguous if Stannis is even alive? We get a first hand account of his army being in very, very dire straights and then I think there are even communications from the Bastard indicating he's defeated Stannis's army. I know GRRM likes to do head fakes over this stuff but just saying it is in clear doubt whether Stannis is even alive or not.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

6. scurvyfreedman

For continuity sake- Jon is a castle trained rider. He's riden all of his life. How does Ygritte who probably has never mounted a horse catch him when he left at full bore and she didn't even know where he was going? Just silly.

In the book she or mayhaps another wildling feathered him with an arrow or two in the leg before he completely escaped from the melee with the old man. They just didn't have the "I have to go home, I love you" BS.

7. munchausen

munchausen Distinguished Member

Martin already released a chapter of the next book. Stannis and Theon are both alive.

So now that the off season is upon us, I can't wait to see who will play Oberyn Martell. Naveen Andrews' name has been thrown around, and he seems like a possibility. Although I pictured the Dornish looking more Spanish/North Mediterranean than South Asian/Middle eastern

8. scurvyfreedman

There's more than one chapter out. There's the Theon chapter w/ Stannis; There's an Arienne chapter. There's also 4 other chapters that he's read at cons, for which there are summaries. Another Arienne, two Barristan, and one Tyrion. The later 3 are all building to untie the Meerenese knot.

9. scurvyfreedman

The pink letter is a teaser. There's continuity issues at the end of ADwD- things are not linear in time. But, there are plenty of good theories that the letter did not come from the Bastard. It could have come from Asha, especially given the Theon teaser chapter from AWoW. Theon spilled his guts to Asha when he first saw her. She knew everything about what was going on in Wintefell. She could have been trying to bolster Stannis' forces with the Nights Watch forces under Jon.

And, with Manderly and the Umbers ready to turncloak on the Bolton/Frey forces once in the field, there's no way that Stannis was crushed by Ramsay/Frey army. The Karstark plot has been flipped. Only Roose will survive because he won't meet Stannis in the field.

10. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Certainly wasn't an awesome episode...and I guess they decided to wrap it up with Dany again even though she's not doing anything important at this point besides crowdsurfing a bunch of malnourished slaves. But I'm not really that disappointed.

Some of the theories posted here would be cool. But they are theories that make the book readers cream their pants and the show watchers wonder what the hell is happening.

Ending on a bad-ass lady stoneheart reveal would be chill-inducing if you knew what she went on to be. But otherwise, its not even something that happens visibly in the book. It would probably just give the TV watchers false hope that Cat is fine for the next 10 months until they realize she is fucked up and doesn't have a part to play in that season. Still wish they had tossed her in the river on screen though.

Might not be a terrible opening to season 4 (especially since the finale didn't give her body enough time to rot and arya enough time to get far away)

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Did not know some chapters had been released. Anyone have links?

12. scurvyfreedman

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

that warms the cockles of my heart. truly.

in the show, it seems like jon will live. how is he left in the book?

stannis is a complete bumbling loser to me in the show. with no spine whatsoever.

i wonder if theons sister will succeed or get massacred.

14. thekunk07

thekunk07 Stylish Dinosaur

danaerus and her storyline are almost reason enough to stop watching this show

15. scurvyfreedman

Don't make me spoil the Jon Snow story for you too.

Stannis is much more of a full character in the books even though he's only told through Davos' and others eyes. He is all about justice and rights. He is a great military strategist and an extremely hard man.

When Davos had smuggled onions, among other things, into Storms End, which he held for Robert during the Rebellion, he told his men to eat rats, but they would never give up the castle. He protected his brother's rear, something that Robb Stark forgot to do when he marched south. He then seized Dragonstone for his brother. Then, he led Robert's fleet against the Ironborn in the Greyjoy rebellion and with Ser Barristan took their 2nd largest island. He's not led around by Melisandre as much as he's using her as a tool to take what is rightfully his - the Iron Throne.

Nobody has been disrespected more than Stannis by those who should leally follow him. First the Storm Lords and the Reach went with Renly. Then, the Storm Lords went to him until the Blackwater. Had Ned lived the North and Riverlands would have supported Stannis' claim, but he lost that ally because Ned was too naive and honorable.

Stannis is a terrible politician, but a good leader. He raised Davos to Knighthood for his acts of valor, but still took his fingertips for his crimes as a smuggler at the same time. His sense of justice is unparalleled.

The Iron Throne is his by right.