• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone else already feeling withdrawal about the season ending in less than a week? :(

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm pretty happy with it, given realistic constraints. They could have added a few minor elements to make the battle more epic (the ******* chain!) but it was convincing enough.
Also re: scorpions, Stannis's ships had some scorpions. Don't think they ever fired them though.
Nerd trivia: the green wildfire was from barium dissolved in whatever fuel they used. Exact right color for it. I'm betting it was a scale model fleet and a real (albeit small) explosion. :nodding:
I called this last season sometime, there was no way they cut off his nose. It would have been way too hard to fake and didn't really add anything.

But then what would he scratch?
when he's looking for where the whores go
She's ******* Lancel, and Osney Kettleblack, and Moon boy for all I know
If I look back I am lost
You know nothing John Snow
It is known.
Davos reached for his luck.
Hodor.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

haven't read the books but cutting off his nose would make him a lot uglier than just a scar.

riddle me this book readers:

i read that sansa gets re-betrothed, but to tyrion, before joffrey gets poisoned. what happens with her betrothal to joffrey/why the change?

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i read that sansa gets re-betrothed, but to tyrion, before joffrey gets poisoned. what happens with her betrothal to joffrey/why the change?

Sansa gets kicked to the curb by Joffrey who then marries Margaery Tyrell as a reward to the Tyrells for helping to defeat Stannis. But I suppose they still want to hang on to the Stark bloodline, so they pawn her off on Tyrion.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sansa gets kicked to the curb by Joffrey who then marries Margaery Tyrell as a reward to the Tyrells for helping to defeat Stannis. But I suppose they still want to hang on to the Stark bloodline, so they pawn her off on Tyrion.

Thank u sir

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Major Spoilers here about why this is important:
When they eventually kill Robb (and everyone thinks Bran/Rickon are dead) she becomes first in line for Winterfell, so whoever marries her becomes the Lord of Winterfell, something enticing for Tyrion because Tywin will never give him Casterly Rock

Joffery/Margaery marriage is also why they set up Margaery Tyrell this season for wanting to be queen so bad, something not really in the book

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most interesting. i figured the part about margery tho. :)

btw, it so sucks about robb :(

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing spoiler-y,just a question.

Who was heir to Casterly Rock at the beginning of the series. I can't possibly imagine that Tywin would grant Tyrion the seat.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nothing spoiler-y,just a question.
Who was heir to Casterly Rock at the beginning of the series. I can't possibly imagine that Tywin would grant Tyrion the seat.

Should have gone to Jaime but when he joined the Kingsguard he basically gave all that up. Now it should be Tyrion (by Law), but your right about Tywin. Not sure who it would actually go to if Tywin suddenly died and someone had to inherit it (maybe Tywin's brother Kevan), but I'm sure Tywin has his own plans.

Last edited:

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd think Kevan, or maybe even Tommen (since I assume Storms End would go to Renly's heir) if he came of age.

Last edited:

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm no expert on medieval succession, but I imagine that if all the sons are disinherited, it goes to the daughter.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just watched it. I was very impressed by how they pulled off the battle.

I always thought the scale would be very small for the show because of the cost. I think the changes they made were necessary for time constraints. The green fire looked great, and the explosions with splintering ships looked good. I loved the long shot of the fire arrow making it's arch into the water. Moreover, I think the sense of chaos with the pyromancer fire, nervousness of the women waiting in the room where Cersei was, loss of moral at the mud gate, and shock of Tywin showing up were conveyed very well.

The battle in the book was just unbelievably epic with Joffery having the naked bodies catapulted into the blackwater, green fire all over the ships and the surface of the water, drowning men, ship ramming, and the Hound and his men fighting on the shoreline and boarding ships was amazing to read.

My only nitpick was how they messed up the single greatest line in the book when The Hound was offered water and he just said "**** your water!" I've gotten to urge to say that at restaurants when I've been offered water ever since. He just mumbled "**** the water" in the show.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Didn't Joffrey wet his small clothes when he saw the size of the opposition?

The battle in the books went down a lot differently. As I remember, Davos wasn't in charge of the fleet and though he saw the chain houses and tried to warn the others, but he was shut down by the knight who led the battle. Stannis landed on the other side and didn't make the castle, though his men were picking their way across the wreckage of the ships to get to the castle. Tywin snuck up behind Stannis and attacked with Loras in Renly's armour. When the men who were formerly Renly's saw Loras they abandoned Stannis and rejoined with Tywin.

The more I think about this the less I like it.  I think Tyrion got shortchanged here. There was little to no planning other than the wildfire which was Cersei's idea here in the show. Varys' maps came at the last minute. In the book Tyrion saves the city with strategy and courage after The Hound bolts. And as Kunk said, the scale was really off.

Yes, I am a nit-picking whiner. You want an hour of my life and my money? Entertain me.

lefty

You're not alone.

Just guessing, but IMO Cersei was behind it.
And still guessing that some other house sent that assassin after Bran with Littlefinger's knife. Of course, just watch it have been Littlefinger all along to prove me wrong, lame heh.

I'm pretty certain the person behind the assassination plot was revealed in ACOK. It was Joff by the way.

But then what would he scratch?
when he's looking for where the whores go
She's ******* Lancel, and Osney Kettleblack, and Moon boy for all I know
If I look back I am lost
You know nothing John Snow
It is known.
Davos reached for his luck.
Hodor.

DEAD

So I saw the ep last night and I'm still not pleased, but it is the best ep of the season so far. The rains of castamere made me geek the **** out. I listened to it probably 6 or 7 times, I was buzzed though.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did the hound leave like that in the book too?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads