1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

^ Very good points. Although, at the end of the day, she is in a much better position than she was last season compared to Tyrion (who despite being leagues ahead of her intellectually, is pretty much an outcast at this point and would be dead if not for Podrick).

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Whether or not one political person ultimately succeeds or fails does not remove the motif. GRR has not finished the series yet so who knows? Maybe the virtuous and non political eventually triumph. Does not change the underlying tension.

1 person likes this.
  3. otc

otc Senior member

Well, she did manage to raise up the current king of westeros despite the fact that he is a purebred lannister.

And then end the lives of people who were figuring out her secret...and then end the life of Robert.

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

This confirms that he's super smart. He understands he's a suck actor and should do something else. I agree he's infuriating to look at, but it doesn't mean he plays the role well. He adds no depth whatsoever.

The show is harder to follow than ever. I never read these books, so really I just take it one scene at a time and try to figure out all the names as I go. It's pretty impossible though. What they should do is cut out many of these plot lines, or at least gloss over them, focus on a few major ones. What they're doing now is trying to give all these plot lines equal share, all it's doing is making muddy water. You just can't follow what's going on here.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  5. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Sitting on the Iron Throne is far from being King of the Andals, the Rhyonar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm. He's got the Westerlands (although Robb is sacking them) and Crowlands under his control. The Reach is loyal, but only since Renly's death. And, the Stormlands are only loyal since the Battle of the Blackwater. Dorne and the Vale haven't committed support to either side and are basically ignoring the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, the North, Iron Islands, Riverlands, and Dragonstone are all in open rebellion.

And, Stannis is quite aware of her secret... he's not dead, and he's been publicizing it widely.

6. JustChris

JustChris Senior member

Based on what evidence thus far?

7. scurvyfreedman

He sided with Renly when Renly had the largest army and support of the small folk (marrying his daughter to the King). At the time his army was equal to the size of the Stormlords who were with Renly, so he made up half of Renly's host.

Once Renly died he quickly made a deal with the Lannisters (I believe brokered by Littlefinger) for the marriage of Margaery to Joffrey and joined the Battle of the Blackwater with Tywin (commanding half the forces) routing Stannis' rear. His sons - Loras fighting along side Garlan as Renly's Ghost (in Renly's armor) caused the Stormlords to abandon Stannis in mid-battle. As reward he was appointed to the Small Council.

8. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Joffrey was one of the relatively few characters in the book without any real depth. They've played that up even further in the show (the hooker torture scene, for example). He's just purely awful and despicable. You're supposed to hate him and want him to get carved into tiny pieces, slowly. I don't think there's much room for an actor to add anything to that.

3 people like this.
  9. javyn

javyn Senior member

One of the probs with GRRM's writing is that you rarely get to see/hear/experience anything cool that happens firsthand. It leads up and by the time it's "go time" the chapter ends and when you get back to it, you only learn what happened through hearsay after the fact. They definitely needed to beef up Joffrey for the show. I'm not sure I'd have hated him quite as much as I do if I didn't have the show to go by as well. Not saying he's a likeable guy, but seems to me he's far worse in the show.

I'm glad the old Tyrell woman, Queen of Thorns, is getting some good screentime already. I really wanted to read more about her in the book (I've only read the first 3 novels).

10. JustChris

JustChris Senior member

So you're telling me he's adept at both politics and combat because his son rebelled and he went along for the ride, then when Renly died and Littlefinger arranged for him to not get executed for treason, he agreed to it?

Sorry, not gonna agree with you on that one. Essentially, he picked the biggest army each time. He's lucky no one killed him for being a faithless snake.

11. scurvyfreedman

Funny, but for his third son to join Renly pretty much doesn't require him to do anything. Wilas is his heir and Ser Garlan is his second son and best swordsman. Loras is unlikely to ever become a Lord if married to a woman, unless of a very minor house. He married Margaery off to someone who he thought could unite the Seven Kingdoms. That was a big power play.

Because Renly died and none of his Knights or soliders died with him, it was wise for Lord Tyrell to withdraw and regroup to figure out who could give him the best deal. While Littlefinger went to him from KL, he also sent Lord Tarly, one of the best soldiers and battle commanders, to parlay with Lord Tywin. It was clear he had Tywin b/w a rock and a hard place. Tywin was vulnerable to being trapped between the Tyrell forces and the Stark/Riverlands forces behind him. Remember, Robb was trying to trap Tywin, but Edmure screwed it up. Without making a deal with the Tyrells, Twyin was trapped, could not reach Kings Landing unmolested, and could not protect his grandson from Stannis.

And, his army was as big as any other. The Reach is plentiful with both people and resources. Meanwhile the Westerlands were being savaged, so Tywin was weaker. And, the Tyrells are close in finances to the Lannisters.

12. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

That's good and bad. It can be really interesting when it reflects the utter chaos of a society with poor communication at war, only getting fragmented bits of truth. Robb's barely in one of the books, but you hear about him constantly and it really works to give a sense of the feel of living in that sort of situation.

Shit man, how much do you need to hate him? They pushed him almost to caricature in the show. Certainly nobody was rooting for him in the book, unlike practically every other character which you could find reasons to support. Even dickholes like Tywin had a certain logic and values to them, but Joff was just a sociopathic teenager who had never learned any boundaries and now had unlimited power and no fucks to give for being a decent king.

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Weird. I actually enjoy Joffrey's scenes.

14. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

Who is torturing Theon? I missed the scenes and am lost on his capture and how his family fits into the current circumstance. Thanks for your help.

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

There's more than one way to be politically savvy. Just because you can play the game, even well, doesn't mean you're good at all parts of it.

Cercei is great at getting power and terrible at wielding it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  16. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Have you read the books? If so, you know. If not, I don't want to spoil it for you. All will become clear.

1 person likes this.
  17. worakl

worakl Senior member

Really liked the introduction of the Reeds.

18. scurvyfreedman

The introduction was terrific, but the Three Eyed Crow being Bran was bad and no distinction b/w a Greenseer and Greendreamer was significantly worse.

He had one-thousand eyes and one.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  19. javyn

javyn Senior member

Lookin like Vargo's character was cut. Fuck.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

No, actually if one were paying attention, it was indicated. Think of the shape of the thing Theon is strapped to and then think of the shape of the standard that was cut to, and stated what the standard is, from a Theon scene.