• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

^ Maybe. I was distracted by how Tyrion and 30 guys managed to sneak up on the Stannis' forces and overthrow them in about 10 secs.

lefty

:laugh:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of course it was different from the book, but that's not a bad thing to me so...

I also thought the scale was just fine, this is the mud gate, not the main gate.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am now.

Of course it was different from the book, but that's not a bad thing to me so...
I also thought the scale was just fine, this is the mud gate, not the main gate.

Would it have killed them to throw in a little boiling oil? A scorpion or two? A catapult? A cow?

Where were the "three whores?"

lefty

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never really understood why a defender would need trebs? I don't think Stannis really had anything to target except that battering ram which was too close to hit with a trebuchet anyways and the surviving ships landed pretty far down shore. I'm probably forgetting something.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The ships in the harbour. Not all were consumed by the fire. The other shore if it is close enough. Scorpions for the landing boats. I can't remember but doesn't Martin call out scorpions specifically?

Even the attack on the gate was a little tepid - one battering ram and three ladders. I really would have liked more planning strategy from both sides leading up to the battle. I think it would have added to the tension.

lefty

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ lefty - a cow would have been awesome.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IIRC, yeah, he had scorpions in the book. Look, all these things would be nice to have, but I still have no problem with it being shot the way it was. Thought it was a pretty bitchin battle scene.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IIRC, yeah, he had scorpions in the book. Look, all these things would be nice to have, but I still have no problem with it being shot the way it was. Thought it was a pretty bitchin battle scene.

Agreed. Frankly, I'm just glad to have any sort of decent fantasy/swords and sorcery show on TV.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just guessing, but IMO Cersei was behind it.

And still guessing that some other house sent that assassin after Bran with Littlefinger's knife. Of course, just watch it have been Littlefinger all along to prove me wrong, lame heh.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with it, given realistic constraints. They could have added a few minor elements to make the battle more epic (the ******* chain!) but it was convincing enough.

Also re: scorpions, Stannis's ships had some scorpions. Don't think they ever fired them though.

Nerd trivia: the green wildfire was from barium dissolved in whatever fuel they used. Exact right color for it. I'm betting it was a scale model fleet and a real (albeit small) explosion. :nodding:

i think it was planned in the book.
looks like he will keep his nose.....just have a nasty scar.

I called this last season sometime, there was no way they cut off his nose. It would have been way too hard to fake and didn't really add anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads