1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I thought it was great. The lunch scene with Sansa was cringeworthy (in a good way).

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  2. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Way too many made up scenes when they have plenty of source material to work with. Perhaps too much. Rather than cut it, why make stuff up.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Best line of the night was Margaery's. Something like, "Sounded rather painful and sure not to make a baby."

1 person likes this.
  4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Agreed, that was one of my favorite scenes last night.

5. gort

gort Senior member

Liked the mouthy grandma. :embar:

1 person likes this.
  6. Kai

Kai Senior member

Yes. This was a great scene.

I think that the actress who plays Sansa is doing a great job with this role.

Joffrey continues to be the most despicable character I've seen on TV. I'm to the point now where if I saw the actor who plays Joffrey on the street, I'd have a difficult time not beating him to a pulp.

Overall, I really like the show, and think they've done a good job of translating the books to the small screen.

However, as the show progresses, there are so many characters and plot lines, it's getting harder and harder to give adequate time to them all. I feel like I'm getting jerked back and forth between locations and people and plots way too often and without enough time spent on any of them. It's kind of a tv adhd sort of experience. I'd happily watch each episode if it were 2 hours rather than 1 hour. There are times when the scenes feel sort of short-changed and truncated.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Yeah, poor kid is going to be very typecast for some time. He's just killing it playing this character.

8. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I continue to be baffled by the way Bran and Rickon's supposed death was handled. Not only does it make Cat and Robb seem much stupider more childish, but the news gets thrown in with Hoster's death for some reason. The whole thing really makes no sense at all.

They should have let us think Theon was dead too. Would have made the reveal next season a lot more dramatic

9. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

he's actually giving up acting after game of thrones.

he's super smart apparently (i have a friend who knows him)

10. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Last season they swapped her lines with Robb's. She wanted to stay with his War Council and Robb thought she should be home with the boys in Winterfell, but the showrunners reversed it. Made her demonstrably weaker. Why not have Maester Luewin send a raven advising the boys were killed. Doesn't make any sense and changes Robb's story as well as Cat's and a little of Jon's. Not knowing the boys were "killed" made her release of the Kingthalyer inexcusable. It converts her to the cliched weak mother figure, rather than a grieving widow, mother who has very little left. It also took away her best scene (and most heartbreaking- the one that sold their deaths to the reader; when she laments to Brienne over a meal at Riverrun. She also says her best line that since Ned's death she feels like her heart is turning to stone.) It could have been recovered this episode had the boys "deaths" been announced now. Sure, no misdirection for the viewer, but she could have given the same speech to "Talisa" now about her grief and heart turning to stone. Instead a total undermining story about Jon Snow. Again, she's weakened. I was not a Cat fan until later, but I feel the need to defend the book Cat compared to the cliched destruction of her character by the showrunners and producers. /rant

I agree, but they have to keep Alfie Allen under contract, so they have to give him work to justify the paycheck. Also, they have to introduce the Bastard because they delayed his introduction. I think this could work. He gets Theon to trust him next week as the scullery. Then, helps him escape, only to be caught again and tortured more by the revealed Bastard. Plus, he wouldn't have been revealed next season. It wouldn't have been until season 5 or 6 depending on how they merge AFfC and ADwD, so holding Allen under contract with no exposure would definitely not have worked financially or for the actor.

3 people like this.
  11. javyn

javyn Senior member

Absence of Tyrion's Chain withstanding, I thought the Battle of Blackwater was just fine. Maybe I misread/misremember, but wasn't Blackwater Bay a chokepoint? While watching, I assumed it was, and figured the bulk of Stannis' army was queued up behind and didn't make it to the beach until after Tyrion destroyed the ram and Tywin made his appearance, And by then, you don't really see too much of what's going on aside from a vague montage.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

who, Theon?

13. worakl

worakl Senior member

Joff.

14. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

It was nice to see The Hound. And that lunch scene was one of my favourites as well.

One of the more jarring moments though was seeing Gareth from The Office with the wildlings. :laugh:

15. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

I know the tyrells appeared to be decent enough, but with every Sansa´s seen, I don´t understand how she can trust anybody.

1 person likes this.
  16. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

She doesn't trust them, but her status quo is so bleak that she figures things really can't get worse. She's never been taught to count on herself, so there's no way she could imagine escaping the way Arya did. She needs a savior and the Tyrells are as good as anyone. Plus, she has a childish, star struck crush on Loras Tyrell.

17. gort

gort Senior member

The part when she accidentally let herself rant about joffrey then tried to correct herself and go along with the "my father was a traitor" bit. Poor girl.

18. lefty

lefty Senior member

Natalie Dormer is fleshing out Margaery Tyrell in a way that the books never quite did.

lefty

19. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

TWSS?

if you guys want to see Natalie Dormer's bewbs please to watch The Tudors. although I'm sure they will make an appearance on GOT inevitably (edit - or did it already happened?)

20. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Already happened. They were pretty nice.