• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Chapps

Reaction score
I can see that I'll have to learn a few terms, like 'Barrie'. I'm generally a US size 11.5 or 12, depending on the shoe width (I have a wide foot). But I fit very well into Grenson Archie's, UK size 10, which was a surprise. They're quite wide, though - and insanely comfortable.

I did contact Trickers first about the proper size, and they (and Pediwear) thought that if I fit well into Grenson's size 10, I should also fit into a Trickers size 10. Uh, no. Very surprised that the Trickers were so much slimmer than the Grensons, given what I was told, but now I know. I'm just struggling with whether I should go up a half or a full size - I'm concerned that a full size up would be great for my right foot, but leave my left foot pulling out of the shoe. Sigh ...

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barrie is a US last by Alden and used for comparison because it's relatively common. Typically people go 1/2 size down from brannock (true size) for Barrie. Do you know your true size for each foot?

Chapps

Reaction score
I don't think I can put myself onto a 'true size' scale, but using the old foot measuring devices that we used to see in shoe stores, my right foot is *almost* a 12, and my left foot is closer to an 11.5. I forget the width dimension, but I have trouble finding shoes that fit me comfortably, because my feet are pretty wide. It's so frustrating that there's nowhere locally to try Tricker's on for size. I think my right foot wants me to get a UK size 11, while my left might find that too large. What to do ...

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I can put myself onto a 'true size' scale, but using the old foot measuring devices that we used to see in shoe stores, my right foot is *almost* a 12, and my left foot is closer to an 11.5. I forget the width dimension, but I have trouble finding shoes that fit me comfortably, because my feet are pretty wide. It's so frustrating that there's nowhere locally to try Tricker's on for size. I think my right foot wants me to get a UK size 11, while my left might find that too large. What to do ...

get shoes with longer toe boxes in the same size (e.g. a 10.5 UK), such as on trickers' 4444 last. Should be better than their *much* more common 4497S last (which is short and fat, hence little room for sizing errors)
nothing beats trying them on in person of course

milw50717

Reaction score
Just noticed that my one of my Ilkley shoes is having a little wardrobe malfunction as some of the stitching is coming undone. I'm thinking that a decent cobbler should be able to take care of this, rather than having to return to the factory for repair. Thoughts on a postcard to the usual address.

trickerundone.JPG

momone

Reaction score
Just noticed that my one of my Ilkley shoes is having a little wardrobe malfunction as some of the stitching is coming undone. I'm thinking that a decent cobbler should be able to take care of this, rather than having to return to the factory for repair. Thoughts on a postcard to the usual address.

trickerundone.JPG

problem is, it's a tricky thing to repair without compromising aesthetics
I'd rather send it to factory if I were you, especially if the shoes are young (and it looks like)

beepos

Reaction score
Anyone know of anybody selling any Brown Suede Trickers Jimmy (aka Stubby Stows)? I have the Frans Boone Teck Cordovan (which I'm slowly breaking in) but I want something lighter and a bit cooler for the summer

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Size up on the width, instead__ fitting 6, like on Malton & Grasmere ... Stow is only fitting 5.

I think 4444 is also available in 6, but I haven't tried personally yet.

Last edited:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those went insanely cheap. If they had been a half size large would have been on it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads