• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Odd vest — broken up from 3 piece suit?

Does this outfit work?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skip the vest, but the jacket+trouser combo is fine

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Just wear the suit the vest is from

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Ben W

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'll be attending a friend's wedding here soon and I'm trying to remember how to dress properly after having been away from social events for so long. Is it ever appropriate to wear the vest from a 3 piece suit as an odd vest? I'm a bigger guy and I feel much more confident with a vest. The attire is "formal" but knowing the couple I suspect they mean "no denim." I think a 3-piece suit may be slightly over-dressed, though that is likely what I'll end up with if this doesn't work.

Would this combo work, or is it too much of the same color palette? Thinking of a flat white shirt with emerald grenadine tie and black oxfords (not pictured) to go with it. If the vest is out, does the rest work without it, or should I just go with the navy 3-piece suit the vest is from?

Attachments

• IMG_5550.jpeg
    IMG_5550.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 57

Ben W

Reaction score
Thanks. I think I'll just wear the suit this time around.

For the future: is there a way to make a vest work with a sport jacket / trouser combo, or is that pretty much never going to work? I would consider purchasing a different vest for the purpose.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For the future: is there a way to make a vest work with a sport jacket / trouser combo, or is that pretty much never going to work? I would consider purchasing a different vest for the purpose.

I’m not really a vest person, be it with a suit or a sport coat.

But especially in this case, both are blue/navy but different shades.

paxonus

Reaction score

There are some classic combinations of vest and jacket like yellow tattersall with a tweed jacket, or a burgundy sweater vest with a navy blazer. But a vest specifically made for a suit is not going to work anyplace other than with the suit it was made for.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd vests are a bit like ties--they can and often should be brightly patterned--or as Italians would say, "alla fantasia." But it's a fine line between what looks cool and what looks like a riverboat gambler after the Civil War. I rarely wear odd vests--it's just too hot where I live, but I do like them in brocade, in relatively subdued colors.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads