• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now someone explain to me how this makes any sense

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
How else do you get an airline ticket?
Just like everyone else in the 1st class cabin, pay for economy and get a free upgrade based on FF status

rebenga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
I'm of two minds. I understand that many of these soldiers have been through a lot during their tour, and could use some comfort and luxury.

On the other hand, to what extent are your actions based upon your own political views / support, and by having your own sort of personal upgrade policy are you then creating a sort of unofficial political stance for the airline. (ie Airline X ends up inadvertantly having a policy which upgrades military personnel.)

I do think of miliatry service as a job. Yea, its a tough one, possibly underpaid, and probably thankless, but these people made a choice and were not drafted. Many other people have tough, low paid, thankless professions. Do you also upgrade them?

I still think the other guy was an asshole, but why does his behaviour warrant discussion? People are assholes all the time. Or is it because he wasnt giving these soldiers the respect you thought they deserved?

K

This is basically what I was trying to say.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Just like everyone else in the 1st class cabin, pay for economy and get a free upgrade based on FF status

Fist *******?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
I'm of two minds. I understand that many of these soldiers have been through a lot during their tour, and could use some comfort and luxury.

On the other hand, to what extent are your actions based upon your own political views / support, and by having your own sort of personal upgrade policy are you then creating a sort of unofficial political stance for the airline. (ie Airline X ends up inadvertantly having a policy which upgrades military personnel.)

It's not military personnel, it's just those returning home from war. That has never been considered a partisan or political gesture.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
It's not military personnel, it's just those returning home from war. That has never been considered a partisan or political gesture.

should the same thing be done for people that are coming from hazardous mining operations, or other similar jobs?

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by herzzreh
Socal, you still haven't answered my question... you actually pay for 1st?

His dad pays for 1st class. Whatever silly make work job Socal appears at each day to go through the motions probably wouldnt pay for coach on Greyhound.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
should the same thing be done for people that are coming from hazardous mining operations, or other similar jobs?
No. Must I also explain why?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually you do beacuse i fail to see how the job of being soldier is more important than any other, if we wish to claim it is has more dangers than most other jobs and one is away form their friend and famlies, but some jobs other jos are risky and take a person away from his friends and famly as well.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
His dad pays for 1st class. Whatever silly make work job Socal appears at each day to go through the motions probably wouldnt pay for coach on Greyhound.

pwned.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
pwned.jpg

Really? It's funny that the only people that have a problem with money....are those that don't have any.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Really?

It's funny that the only people that have a problem with money....are those that don't have any.

Nothing about redcaimen's post indicates he has a problem with money.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll preface by saying that my participation & questions here are sincere and I'm not trying to get into a fight, but rather a discussion.

I dont see how the distinction between military personnel and soldiers returning from war is relevant here. In fact, I think that the fact that they are coming back from active participation makes it even more contentious.

Please do. As before, I am sincerely interested.

actually you do beacuse i fail to see how the job of being soldier is more important than any other, if we wish to claim it is has more dangers than most other jobs and one is away form their friend and famlies, but some jobs other jos are risky and take a person away from his friends and famly as well.

What about aid workers? Greenpeace? Missionarys working in conflict zones? Private contracters?

K

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
Nothing about redcaimen's post indicates he has a problem with money.

I have no problem with money at all. I have a fair amount of it myself. I wish they would completely abolish the inheritance tax and have whined about it several times before here on the forum.

I would never pay for a first class ticket myself but could not care less if other people do.

Too bad I didnt get to see your attached graphic. It just shows up as a red "x".

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is not about the danger in an occupation or the relative lack thereof. It is about those who put themselves in a position of personal sacrifice on behalf of others. That is why police officers and firefighters and soldiers are afforded an additional measure of respect. That is not to say that there are not those among their ranks who are not worthy of that respect or that none of them have ever disgraced themselves in the line of duty, but in the absence of clear evidence to that effect, we honor them because, at considerable risk to themselves, they protect the rest of us.

Now there is nothing in my explanation above that has not been explained to the average five-year-old or is not readily apparent to anyone with a modicum of intelligence and discernment. I get that some people choose not to afford them that honor. I don't get how they fail to understand the reason for the practice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads