• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now someone explain to me how this makes any sense

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
Nothing about redcaimen's post indicates he has a problem with money.

Note I did not quote his post.

sloane3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
It is not about the danger in an occupation or the relative lack thereof. It is about those who put themselves in a position of personal sacrifice on behalf of others. That is why police officers and firefighters and soldiers are afforded an additional measure of respect. That is not to say that there are not those among their ranks who are not worthy of that respect or that none of them have ever disgraced themselves in the line of duty, but in the absence of clear evidence to that effect, we honor them because, at considerable risk to themselves, they protect the rest of us.

Now there is nothing in my explanation above that has not been explained to the average five-year-old or is not readily apparent to anyone with a modicum of intelligence and discernment. I get that some people choose not to afford them that honor. I don't get how they fail to understand the reason for the practice.

I know a lot of guys in those positions particularly military and I don't think most go into it to offer a "personal sacrifice on behalf of others"

Military, well it's a job, something to do after high school. A lot of recruits are young men from low income rural areas. They'd rather operate some multimillion dollar equipment then a fry station. They might also get to blow **** up or kill people as an added bonus along with GI Bill and other stuff.

Police, a job where you get power from a gun and a badge. RESPECT MA AUTHORITAY.

Firefighter, another job. Good for adrenaline junkies and pyros. I probably have more respect for these guys out of the bunch though. They don't trip on the power as much.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reread the fourth sentence in my post.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloane3
I know a lot of guys in those positions particularly military and I don't think most go into it to offer a "personal sacrifice on behalf of others"

Military, well it's a job, something to do after high school. A lot of recruits are young men from low income rural areas. They'd rather operate some multimillion dollar equipment then a fry station. They might also get to blow **** up or kill people as an added bonus along with GI Bill and other stuff.

Police, a job where you get power from a gun and a badge. RESPECT MA AUTHORITAY.

Firefighter, another job. Good for adrenaline junkies and pyros. I probably have more respect for these guys out of the bunch though. They don't trip on the power as much.

How old are you?

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Note I did not quote his post.

I note that your post makes no sense. That he made an ass of you is independent of me having a problem with money or not.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
I note that your post makes no sense. That he made an ass of you is independent of me having a problem with money or not.

Socal is okay. He can be genuinely funny and his honesty is refreshing. Yes, he is a callow degenerate, but you have to respect that he is not apologizing for it. I was just pointing out that the exclusive bubble hes floating around on isnt due to any intrinsic worth of his own. I usually enjoy his posts and from what I understand he is a lot of fun to hang out with.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Exactly. You think that he made an ass out of me. Hence you have some latent malice towards those who come from a family with money. It's okay RedCaimen.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
It is not about the danger in an occupation or the relative lack thereof. It is about those who put themselves in a position of personal sacrifice on behalf of others. That is why police officers and firefighters and soldiers are afforded an additional measure of respect. That is not to say that there are not those among their ranks who are not worthy of that respect or that none of them have ever disgraced themselves in the line of duty, but in the absence of clear evidence to that effect, we honor them because, at considerable risk to themselves, they protect the rest of us.

Now there is nothing in my explanation above that has not been explained to the average five-year-old or is not readily apparent to anyone with a modicum of intelligence and discernment. I get that some people choose not to afford them that honor. I don't get how they fail to understand the reason for the practice.

I know how you guys justify it but I don't subscribe to it. To be honest I'm fine with jetblast upgrading whoever he wants, girls with nice boobies included. If there's space and no one wants to pay for it, fill it as you will unless there's some sort of FF advantage offered in priority.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Socal is okay. He can be genuinely funny and his honesty is refreshing. Yes, he is a callow degenerate, but you have to respect that he is not apologizing for it. I was just pointing out that the exclusive bubble hes floating around on isnt due to any intrinsic worth of his own. I usually enjoy his posts and from what I understand he is a lot of fun to hang out with.

Money isn't intrinsic to anyone...

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^+1

I understand the cultural and historical considerations of compensating servicemen and the airline is free to upgrade who they choose.

However cultural and historical considerations do not make a moral truth. I think it is is very hard to say that a uniformed serviceman deserves more respect then a different patron. What galls me the most, however, is the deference (especially at airports) given to dressed-up priests. Even if you find his motives suspect, a solider is genuinely risking his life, and is part of an important institution in our civil society. A priest is nothing of the sort...

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Money isn't intrinsic to anyone...

I agree, but a persons intrinsic qualities can be used to acquire the stuff. Things like being clever or well trained or unscrupulous or in my case charming and charismatic.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
I agree, but a persons intrinsic qualities can be used to acquire the stuff. Things like being clever or well trained or unscrupulous or in my case charming and charismatic.

It doesn't come more intrinsic than having genetic ties to it's previous owners...

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
It doesn't come more intrinsic than having genetic ties to it's previous owners...

I wish this were so, but I am always surprised by the number of people who dont. I would have thought you were one of them. Isnt this the kind of belief that would have earned your face a stream of smoke from youir uncles gauloise?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

as another person noted so do aid workers and many other people that work organzations that often go to hostile territories and many do it this without pay.
butin you response to the idea that they are soldier and policemen protect us thus deserve special treatment, i will kindly disagree having known a decent amount of people that have joined the military or police force, they did not join to defend people they joined for the potential of a stable job. a minority joined because they had the desire to becom heroes, still not out of the inherent desire to protect people.
if the peopls were enscripted by a the goverment i could undertand special treatment but the majority probably join for less noble reason than you wish to think.
yes one could explain this to child but as with most explaintations to children they are greatly simplified.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geez, you people make me not want to upgrade anyone anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads