• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nigel Cabourn

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Interview w. Cabourn, he does mention engineered garment and is quite complimentary about the brand. Basically says he wants to keep a British focus and not do the same as they're doing:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adamha21
Zissou, what size is your cameraman?

Fok, you think you'd be a 50? Not a 48?

I'm between a 48 and 50 in most things. My chest is at 40" on the dot, which means a small 50 for most brands, and a large 48. For something fashiony, like Geller, I might go with a size 48 for a more streamlined look, and I like the chest to have between 2-3" of clearance (which is actually very little). However, for heritage brands, I prefer the fits to be a little more TTS, and Cabourn stuff is not cut very large as is, the parka styled jackets being the exceptions.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
While I try to lean militaria especially in the winter, and I can see that influence in a lot of Cabourn stuff, I am just never that into most of his pieces. There have been a few exceptions - he had this kind of duffle trench with an inset leather belt that went for peanuts at a recent sale that I figure I'll carry a torch for for a while. Awesome piece of outerwear. But most of the stuff posted in here just isn't quite hitting home with me; I could describe most of the stuff as "close but no cigar". The peacoat is a good example - nice piece and I like the strap / leather detail on the sleeves, but something's just not quite right with the pocket accents and buttons. I recognize opinions vary on this.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adamha21
Zissou, what size is your cameraman? Fok, you think you'd be a 50? Not a 48?
Cabourn runs quite slim on almost everything I have tried (which isn't a ton). I have a 39" chest, and I can wear 48 in most knitwear. Although, I had to stretch my two lambswool vests in 48, but not my funnel neck sweater in the same size. The cameraman in 50 fits me perfectly, with room for a heavy sweater underneath. I would guess that Fok is the same sizing, unless his shoulders are particularly broad. Mine are about 18" for shirts. p.s.- Here is Tres Bien Shop's Flickr set from Pitti Uomo and here's a photoset from the original Ascent of Cabourn Exhibition. There used to be a video, but I can't find it.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I had a chance to see some Cabourn the last time I was in NYC, really loved the construction and detailing. IMO the best pieces are the ones with the fabric mixing - the cameraman jacket, and even that peacoat with the leather banded cuffs. I wasn't that big of a fan of the everest parka.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Cabourn runs quite slim on almost everything I have tried (which isn't a ton). I have a 39" chest, and I can wear 48 in most knitwear. Although, I had to stretch my two lambswool vests in 48, but not my funnel neck sweater in the same size. The cameraman in 50 fits me perfectly, with room for a heavy sweater underneath. I would guess that Fok is the same sizing, unless his shoulders are particularly broad. Mine are about 18" for shirts. p.s.- Here is Tres Bien Shop's Flickr set from Pitti Uomo and here's a photoset from the original Ascent of Cabourn Exhibition. There used to be a video, but I can't find it.
Hmm based on the measurements I figured I'd probably be a 50 in a few of the items I've been looking at, but now you have me thinking I'd be a 52.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am normally 40 US, and the flight jacket size 50 I bought from the recent superdenim sale is very tight, so I should have sized up. Otherwise I tried the Everest and the Storm parkas and a 48 could work for a normal/slim fit. I also have a thick sweater size 48 which is just fine.

mpcec

Reaction score
Adam personally I think you'd be a 50... I'm a 48 in the Cameraman (tried on SS10 and FW10 versions) and IIRC I believe you're generally 1 size above me in EG and WWM right? (For reference I wear a Medium.) Also I needed a 50 in Cabourn knitwear.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the modern looking Cabourn pieces (like the bomber jackets, Everest parka, duffel coat), but the vintage waxed / tweed are not for me.
I liked in the pics the Storm jacket, but in real life looks very utility/workwear, very close to Barbour to me. I have two Barbour waxed jackets, but lately I prefer the Belstaff for the fit.
I'll wait for the next sales, I would buy an Everest parka in navy, but the RRP is just crazy.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I can't see the everest being very practical tbh.

Adam if you're 41-42 chest you won't fit into 50.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You should ditch that Cucinelli part-time playboy bullshit and wear this stuff, it is def age appropriate (i.e. it fits guys 40+ even better).

I plan to get some Cabourn pieces if I can get the right fit. Most brands with a focus on the Japanese market don't tend to favor 6"2" torsos or 35" sleeve length. Any idea if Cabourn sweaters and jackets will fit my build?

I like Cucinelli and won't ditch it. I mix and blend looks that I like. I wear street apparel in certain settings often blending it with a tailored piece or modern accessory (much to the chagrin of the Selfedge set) and favor sportswear or tailored clothing in others.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
i REALLY like the reversible flannel,

but have yet to see a piece from NC that I don't like...

I doubt I'll ever own a single piece, but certainly an admirable brand with beautiful pieces.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I plan to get some Cabourn pieces if I can get the right fit. Most brands with a focus on the Japanese market don't tend to favor 6"2" torsos or 35" sleeve length. Any idea if Cabourn sweaters and jackets will fit my build?

I like Cucinelli and won't ditch it. I mix and blend looks that I like. I wear street apparel in certain settings often blending it with a tailored piece or modern accessory (much to the chagrin of the Selfedge set) and favor sportswear or tailored clothing in others.

I usually wear a mix of tailored (designer though so not really MC) and casual too, I just think BC is selling a ridiculous image; some individual pieces may work (some of their bags are nice) but the overall narrative is too fake for me. I think the selfedge set doesn't mind that much, well the SW&D doesn't, as long as its not "everything dressy but the jeans".

I'm pretty sure NC would fit you as it is not only built for the japanese market but not being the same size as you I can't say for sure...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads