• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

montanamike

Reaction score
Rangers.jpg

Playing with my trusty old favorites.. 6" walnut Ranger today. I've used Obenaufs laces for years (they are great) but am giving Guarded Goods waxed cotton laces a shot. I'm leaning toward olive and saving the grey for my black Charley's.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
View attachment 1400997

Playing with my trusty old favorites.. 6" walnut Ranger today. I've used Obenaufs laces for years (they are great) but am giving Guarded Goods waxed cotton laces a shot. I'm leaning toward olive and saving the grey for my black Charley's.
How do you like the Obenauf's laces?

montanamike

Reaction score
I've used them for a long time and certainly have zero complaints. All my workish boots are outfitted with them. I spent too much time in college knotting broken leather laces so while I like the look, they aren't something I use. The only reason for a change here is both the boots and laces have been around for years so just trying something different.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've used them for a long time and certainly have zero complaints. All my workish boots are outfitted with them. I spent too much time in college knotting broken leather laces so while I like the look, they aren't something I use. The only reason for a change here is both the boots and laces have been around for years so just trying something different.
Good to know. Our lace assortment could use a refresh IMO so looking at all the options.

montanamike

Reaction score
Good to know. Our lace assortment could use a refresh IMO so looking at all the options.

They are dipped as I understand it in their lp. As a consequence, I found I got a bit of gunk, detritus or whatever you might call it around the eyelets. I suppose some more fashion oriented folks might object on more dressy options. For me, no issue and they have lasted years wet / dry / inside / outside use.

l33tcoder

Reaction score
Hi Nick boots appreciators - I am planning to buy my first pair of Nick's boots (likely MTOs) and after spending some decent time on Nick's website exploring the models I had some questions.

1. What is the difference between Falcon and Officer boots? Is it just the height - I was confused because per the MTO options available for Falcon the height can be adjusted to 8'' (same as Officer boots)
Same question for Ranger (with mid arch) vs. Robert - both of which can be adjusted to 8'' it seems to me

2. I am leaning towards mid arch but I wanted to check if the fit (from just an arch support perspective) is similar to Whites MPs or Whites Semi Dress - these 2 are the only boots I own which I believe some arch support.

3. Question specifically for Nick's - I read on the website that approx. break-in time for work boot leather is 80-100 hours. Just so that I put it in perspective how much is the estimated break-in for CXL boots - I asked this since I have a fair number of boots in CXL leather and hence wanted to better understand the "relative" break in period. Again I am leaning towards either Chocolate workboot leather or Wickett and Craig's veg tanned leather.

nikolau

Reaction score
Hi Nick boots appreciators - I am planning to buy my first pair of Nick's boots (likely MTOs) and after spending some decent time on Nick's website exploring the models I had some questions.

1. What is the difference between Falcon and Officer boots? Is it just the height - I was confused because per the MTO options available for Falcon the height can be adjusted to 8'' (same as Officer boots)
Same question for Ranger (with mid arch) vs. Robert - both of which can be adjusted to 8'' it seems to me

2. I am leaning towards mid arch but I wanted to check if the fit (from just an arch support perspective) is similar to Whites MPs or Whites Semi Dress - these 2 are the only boots I own which I believe some arch support.

3. Question specifically for Nick's - I read on the website that approx. break-in time for work boot leather is 80-100 hours. Just so that I put it in perspective how much is the estimated break-in for CXL boots - I asked this since I have a fair number of boots in CXL leather and hence wanted to better understand the "relative" break in period. Again I am leaning towards either Chocolate workboot leather or Wickett and Craig's veg tanned leather.

I can’t comment on questions 1 & 2, but my experience with CXL has been that it breaks in rather quickly- ~24-36 hours of robust wear (walking about, hiking, that sort of thing).

montanamike

Reaction score

I havent done much looking at the officer boot but it did appear to be similar to the Falcon. What I saw on my brief look is that the Falcon has pull loops and the officer boot does not. In the stock iteration, mini-vib come stock on Officer, vbar on the Falcon.

With regard to the Ranger and Robert, in the MTO options, you can (so far as I know) end up with the same end result. I imagine there is some legacy reasoning to this as the Robert specifically has evolved some over time. In the stock side, I believe the difference are stock sole, height and leather. Maybe I am an early adopter as I've worn 6" Rangers for years... which now could be a Robert MTO in work leather.

The second question I do have a bit of direct experience with but not a ton. The style of the semi dress really appeals to me but have had squeaking issues and am one of those people that just doesn't do well with that. My experience was the fit is similar to the Nicks Ranger in the #3 toe and the arch doesnt feel exactly the same to me but similar. Given the age of my Rangers, that may explain some of this. I have no experience with Whites MP.

I personally didnt find the work leather all that daunting to break in. A few weeks of occasional use and I was good to go and haven't looked back. I will have a more clear idea on the differences between the lighter leather and work leathers when my Charleys are finished. Several reports in the Heritage Boot FB group seems to suggest minimal break in time especially for those used to the arch support.

I would be interested in seeing your results when done.

montanamike

Reaction score
Hey, welcome. I hope you do well here. Want to post pictures of the test boots after 6 months of wear?

Brian the Bootmaker posted a video on Youtube of a resole that I am guessing might be an example of the veg tanned leather with some good wear. I could be mistaken but it has the look of it to me. Regardless, I enjoyed the chance to see the tear down to see some of the work we don't often get to see on our boots.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Brian the Bootmaker posted a video on Youtube of a resole that I am guessing might be an example of the veg tanned leather with some good wear. I could be mistaken but it has the look of it to me. Regardless, I enjoyed the chance to see the tear down to see some of the work we don't often get to see on our boots.
Hi Mike, that's correct, that was the Wickett & Craig veg tan from one of our testers.

montanamike

Reaction score
New boot Saturday. I am very pleased out of the box. The stitching is quite well done, fit seems to be perfect. It will take a bit to get settled as my Rangers as the tongue needs some training but I see the appeal of the lighter leather. Did 4-5 miles out of the box without any issue. Nicks toe caps are aesthetically near perfect to my eye. The heel is perfectly executed in color and shape.

Full marks to Nicks on this build. Given the challenges currently, the wait time is understandable. I hope others are as pleased with the results as I am.
IMG_20200620_143316383_HDR.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads