• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NHL 2011-2012 Thread

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The amount of suspensions during the pre-season is just ridiculous, I've never seen anything like it in past pre-seasons.

At this rate, I would imagine Shanny coming on video in December after suspension after suspension, just throwing up his hands and go "really guys? what the ****?"

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shanny's discipline is music to my ears and it is NOT making the game worse or less physical.

I just watched the Bruins vs. Habs back to back tilt. Two teams that dislike each other with a number of guys on both sides that have delivered questionable hits in the past, but nothing dirty happened and both games were still physical and hard hitting. I don't think guys are holding off on hitting at all, they're just holding off on hits they know are borderline or just plain dirty.

I hope this will, once and for all, shut the "You're trying to take hitting out of the game!!!!!" faction. Physical hockey does not have to be dirty. It only becomes dirty when players aren't given an incentive to play clean.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its pretty smart on Shanny's part. Giving 2 preseason games to Boyes seems dumb until you consider that he's now a marked man, and any further suspension will be much harsher since he would be a repeat offender. I wonder just how much more harsh it'll be, eg. if Wiz gets the boot again, will it be 16 games?

If this keeps up, the culture will gradually changed as suspensions will become more stigmatized in a different way.. its no longer "oh well, 5 games" its a "****, I'm a marked man." I can see guys wanting to keep their noses clean so that they never reach Boyes status/repeat offender land.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Simmonds on Avery, "You *****t!" Classy, especially coming from a guy who was above racist bullshit. The Flyers are a ******* circus, can't wait for that team to implode.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Simmonds on Avery, "You *****t!" Classy, especially coming from a guy who was above racist bullshit. The Flyers are a ******* circus, can't wait for that team to implode.

I'm enjoying the hate, NYR! Getting the blood boiling in the pre-season, baby!

If I had to pick a top candidate for a spectacular implosion this year it would have to be the Flyers as well. Relatively young roster, new goalie, and (surprisingly) high expectations, not to mention a ton of question marks such as Jagr in the mix, make this a potentially volatile situation.

But it should be exciting to watch, either way. Much more than my beloved Habs who will likely turn in another one of their mediocre seasons.

PS: I agree with you on Simmonds, He took the high road regarding the banana toss but turning around and calling Avery a *** right afterwards was pretty ridiculous.

Last edited:

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm enjoying the hate, NYR! Getting the blood boiling in the pre-season, baby!
If I had to pick a top candidate for a spectacular implosion this year it would have to be the Flyers as well. Relatively young roster, new goalie, and (surprisingly) high expectations, not to mention a ton of question marks such as Jagr in the mix, make this a potentially volatile situation.
But it should be exciting to watch, either way. Much more than my beloved Habs who will likely turn in another one of their mediocre seasons.
PS: I agree with you on Simmonds, He took the high road regarding the banana toss but turning around and calling Avery a *** right afterwards was pretty ridiculous.

to be fair, philly had nothing to lose in goal. im not a big fan of bryzgalov but bobby boucher and an undrafted russian rookie? they were one tomas vokoun away from another cup final. as much as it sucks losing richards and carter, they got schenn and couturier and voracek; at least one of whom will turn out to be good. simmonds is no slouch despite evidently being a hypocritical dickmouth, jagr looks to be alright considering he's nearly a geezer and if pronger stays healthy all should be well in philly.

as for the habs... peter ******* budaj? that's all i have to say about that. he is ******* awful, no two ways around it. at least price is a young guy and will benefit from all the time in net... watching kipper get run into the ground and fall from his vezina status hurts. teams need good ******* backup goalies, i dont know if you should leverage your future for a rask or a schnieder but come on now, starting goalies deserve some respect. i think you guys should make it to the post, once you're there the cammalerri clutch will probably show up. remember only one goal away from taking down the eventual cup champs.

also, just played some pick-up for the first time in a couple years. let in a few softies, that's for sure, but i pokechecked a guy on a breakaway and made a hasek-flop glove save. :slayer: beer leagues :slayer: how many of you guys still play?

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

:slayer: beer leagues :slayer: how many of you guys still play?

I just decided to hang up my skates this summer. I couldn't do the men's league and still run and work out as much as I wanted to. My league, although a "beer" league is pretty physical and blue collar...I'm only 5'9" 170, so I take a bit of a beating. I was 2 time reigning League MVP and leading scorer as well, so every checker focused on me...

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This hasn't been mentioned yet, but the NHL will have a HUGE opportunity to sell itself to the casual US Sports fan this season with the impending NBA lockout...hope they don't drop the ball, and have lots of high scoring, action packed games with a few good fisticuffs.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Shanny's videos are excellent because it's no longer 1 line on the bottom of a sports ticker, "X suspended 3 games for hit on Y". People have to take notice. Especially when it seems like there's a new one every day. I will say though that all he's had so far, really, are softballs, partly because it's preseason and not a single **** is given. Once it's an important player on the hook for real games it will be interesting to see if his metric changes.

I do think Simmonds should've been sat for a preseason game, would've been an unbelievably political suspension but would have been a positive message.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I like the videos and the clear explanations from Shanny. And I agree that it's not making the game less physical so far. It was funny, one of his more recent videos had the same "on thursday's game between X and Y, an indicident occured during the blah blah" and he had an obvious "I'm getting sick of doing so many of these" look on his face.

I'm really excited for this season (and for college hockey) to start. Go Rangers!! Go Sabres!! Lets go Red!!

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just started myself this year. Two games in. First game was okay, second game I played terribly; lost the puck in my skates, the play went the other way and the opposing team got the go ahead goal which stood for the win.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I played for about 20 years and stopped about 7 years ago. I wonder if I can still skate? Lol!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads