• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newc's Bespoke Adventure.

BlackYeti

Reaction score
New account—not new to SF. Prefer real-life friends.

Don't mean to be rude. I know Despos is a demi-god up'n here. You know I'm right about the sleeves at least, though, esp. considering they're bespoke.

Last edited:

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you on about the sleeves? Who traffics in 1/8'' increments, much less on a grainy picture? You do realize that 1/8'' will move if you blow on it?
Try making your comment, verbatim, to your favorite tailor and prepare to be shown the door.

I think I might be falling into some kind of troll trap...

Iyor

Reaction score
Considering Chris made the shirt too the left sleeve could actually be a touch shorter, I can see the shirt cuff on the right, but not the left.

BlackYeti

Reaction score
Who traffics in 1/8'' increments...

I think I might be falling into some kind of troll trap...

If I wasn't trolling before, I certainly am now :)

Not trying to dereail here, just thinking aloud:

I am probably more slender than you but still prefer 8.5cm. Can't say why -- I suppose it comes down to how fitted/loose one wears one's clothes. I guess it relates to the same slim/loose dichotomy in terms of trousers or anything else -- narrow clothes on someone slender can emphasize the lack of physical width. A "skimpy" tie makes me feel skimpier. Maybe it's psychological?

The thing about 8cm in Drakes (or any maker for that matter) is that the finished, pressed tie can vary as much as .5 cm in either direction. I have some Drakes billed as 8cm that are 8.5, and some that are visibly under 3''. It depends on the material and how it was finished. I tend to order ties in 8.5cm and hope they fall close to that. When they do, it's great. When they are smaller, it starts to feel like a shoelace to me. A casual observer would not notice. When they are bigger, on the other hand, it starts to feel oppressive. Funny how 1/8 of an inch or so can seem to make a difference. There is no perfect tie, so I think most of us pick on one direction of the ruler (8<< >>9) and stick with whatever natural variation occurs.

I don't mind Drakes wool ties at all, though, because a too-wide wool tie tends to feel chunky. All things being equal, these distinctions disappear behind a buttoned coat, but I don't love a buttoned-up look all the time, so the question of how wide will look unassuming is constantly a moving target.

soender

Reaction score
So when my tailor marked that up on my cuff at my last visit, I should have told him to stop and not go into such detail?

BlackYeti

Reaction score
A world of difference between 1/8 on a tie and on a cuff!

Honestly, I'd rather have a tie that's 1/8" too narrow than a shirt cuff that's 1/8" too short and, consequently, sometimes hides under the jacket. Shirts wrinkle more quickly than the jacket with wear and the sleeves ride up, so I tend to get mine tailored 1/8" longer than ideal. I don't think I was being out of line making the comment.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Honestly, I'd rather have a tie that's 1/8" too narrow than a shirt cuff that's 1/8" too short and, consequently, sometimes hides under the jacket. Shirts wrinkle more quickly than the jacket with wear and the sleeves ride up, so I tend to get mine tailored 1/8" longer than ideal. I don't think I was being out of line making the comment. 

Here's the other way to make sure your shirt cuff always shows.

Last edited:

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a stupid comment because it isn't a matter of the length of the short sleeve (or jacket sleeve), it is a matter of the lack of attention to a single detail when taking the photo. The shirtsleeve simply got hung up for whatever reason at the time of the photo.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's a stupid comment because it isn't a matter of the length of the short sleeve (or jacket sleeve), it is a matter of the lack of attention to a single detail when taking the photo. The shirtsleeve simply got hung up for whatever reason at the time of the photo.

Exactly.

soender

Reaction score
It did make me steaming mad! What nerve! Next time I will call him dilettante, pull down his fabric books on the floor, and THEN storm out into the street.

Last edited:

BlackYeti

Reaction score
First, there's no way to know for sure if it's hung up. The left shirt sleeve on the tux jacket is also hidden, suggesting that the tailoring could be the problem.

Second, I'd argue that the right sleeve is also too short given the tendency of shirt sleeves to ride up with wear or, as you say, to get hung up in the jacket.

You may not think peeking shirt sleeves are very important, Derek, but a lot of people do. Look at the stuff Tom Ford makes. His shirts sometimes hit the thumb knuckle.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads