• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newc's Bespoke Adventure.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow Patrick, that looks great. The fit on both of these is near perfect. What fabric is the jacket made of?? Looks really interesting.

It's a W Bill barleycorn fabric and it's a really nice weight. Light enough to be worn in the summer, but will be great most of the year.

I went in asking Chris about making another jacket and this was his suggestion. As you have learned, it's always worth listening to his suggestions.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't that the truth. Moreover, at the end of the day, he is the one making the jacket. He has a much better idea of what tailors better than I -- for obvious reasons! I am coming back to Chicago in November and am strongly debating whether or not I want to get something else made. You are making a strong case for a sport coat.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have him working on a gray herringbone tweed jacket and a mid gray flannel suit—both were fabric suggestions he made while we were starting work on this jacket. That is also how I got him started on the pants in the photos, he pulled out some fabric he likes and that he has been using for years and I said "let's do it."

Frankly, I would just go in and update him on how you are dressing, what gaps you may have in your closet, and ask him what he suggests.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think we may do some sort of navy nailhead or Birdseye next. Unfortunately, I have enough holes in my wardrobe that we could go on for days with ideas...

Grey herringbone tweed sounds great.

One thing we discussed last time was a rust barley corn. It was lovely, and worked well with my complexion. That is one I am strongly thinking about.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think we may do some sort of navy nailhead or Birdseye next. Unfortunately, I have enough holes in my wardrobe that we could go on for days with ideas...

One thing we discussed last time was a rust barley corn. It was lovely, and worked well with my complexion. That is one I am strongly thinking about.

The tweed is more appropriate for my climate than yours. :)

Put one navy nailhead/birdseye suit and one rust barley corn jacket on the schedule!

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tweed is more appropriate for my climate than yours. :)

Put one navy nailhead/birdseye suit and one rust barley corn jacket on the schedule!

Do you have details on the W Bill and the pants? I think I'm going to DTO this.
sly.gif

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have details on the W Bill and the pants? I think I'm going to DTO this.
sly.gif

You would need to ask Chris. I only know the jacket is W Bill and the pants are Scabal. He will have the details though.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

If you do barley corn for a jacket, try to find a larger scale. Looks much better for odd jacket IMO.

Last edited:

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you do barley corn for a jacket, try to find a larger scale. Looks much better for odd jacket IMO.

I agree with this advice as matching general conventions (particularly on this forum), but personally I prefer this scale pattern for what I wear. A larger scale would just sit unworn in my closet.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Gotta pick what works for you obviously, but my opinion is largely based on my irrational hatred of small barley corn but love of large barley corn rather than convention or SF group think. Can't quite figure out why I like one so much but not the other, just how my eyes react to it.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think contrast, not just the size, of the barleycorn is important for jacketing. Here is a high-contrast barleycorn by Molloy for comparison.

LL Barleycorn test 20oz tweed. I wasn't sure what to make of it from photos, but it's quite lovely in person. Has a nice warm aura about it. The colors are chocolate brown and oatmeal with some subtle donegal flecks mixed in. The true colors are very tough to photograph. Fun addition for next Winter.

First fitting of the barleycorn a few months back. I ultimately decided against the flaps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads