• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Year's Eve Plans?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are your plans for New Year's Eve? I'm generally not big on this "holiday," but a friend has expressed interest in one of those big hotel parties. $150+ for a few hours of open bar and food doesn't sound like a great deal to me, particularly in this economy, but maybe I've been missing out on something special all these years. Are these events any good?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
The Mrs and I will be in London so we're going to "the new untouchables" end of year bash which is 3 rooms....soul/ska for the mods/skinheads.....50s R'nB, rockabilly for the hepcats......60s garage and freakbeat for the swirlies

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea. I'm spending so much money on Thanksgiving, myself, Christmas, the gf's birthday and the Inauguration. In that order, ugh. I'd like to do something on the cheap in DC too.

samblau

Reaction score
Debating whether I should go out with a bang as I will be destitute by next NYE or just have some fun wandering around NY.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wedding anniversary is NYE, so mi esposa and I usually try to do something. We've done everything from hosting a party to going to a small town B&B to going to Vegas. Last year we did a cruise and really enjoyed being on the ship over NYE. So we're doing that again this year, but this time we're taking our teenage sons (they get a separate cabin). Nothing fancy, just a trip from Galveston to Mexico & Central America and back.

lost in va

Reaction score
Planned on taking the g/f to a nice club/bar/whatever as neither of us have ever been to anything but house parties for NYC but seeing as how my g/f has become my ex I plan on getting sloshed at a friends house and hopefully not passing out first/with my shoes on.

zeitgeist

Reaction score
We've rented tables and stuff at bars in years past... but I tend to always have terrible times on holidays... places are way too crowded. New Years and Saint Patrick's Day I tend to avoid. The latter is probably the worst.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Chicago (duh).... I like to do the Eve of the Eve party. Less crazies out and about... then I try to keep it on the down-low for the actual NYE. Sometimes a rock and roll show (bands usually break out extra special set-lists) or a multi-course dinner (usually there are tasting menus and special seatings at fine dining estabs).

Of course, as a big Buckeye fan, I've spent many a new years eve on the Bowl trip.....sometimes stopping in Las Vegas en route.

THis year I'm very much looking forward to Redwings at Blackhawks in Wrigley Field. Outdoor hockey... the way it SHOULD be.

freespirit

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I booked a late seating at our favorite restaurant in Toronto, and got a room right at Yonge and Dundas Square. SO it should be a good night for us, seeing as this is the first time in two years that we are together on NYE

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
Hey ChicagoRon.. I think my Longhorns are going to billystomp your Buckeyes in the Bowl.

but.. I'm glad it's happening now and not in 2 years when Pryor could grow into something special.

As for NYE..

I have found the hotel thing to be big, impersonal and epitomizes that NYE is "amateur night." If you go with a group of 10 - 12 friends, it will be fun but you will spend more time with your group of friends than anything else. Oh.. routinely, their champagne sucks big green donkey dicks.

Why not just take the money you would spend and with that group of friends, buy some kick ass food, exceptional champagne and spirits, go to the biggest house owned by someone in your group.. and bring it in that way?

lithium180

Reaction score
I'll be on a beach in Oaxaca drinking a pina colada out of a pineapple.
smile.gif

Kohan

Reaction score
lithium180, could I stow away in your duffel bag?

As for NYE, heading to the beach place with my favorite people in town. Rough expectations suggest that we will get blasted up and down the beach like fireworks. Huzzah!

The words "no work" make me ecstatic, but only after the hell of self-imposed labor that is this upcoming week. Counting the days...

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
My plan is what I do nearly every year: party with my best friend at his house, we invite a few friends and their lady friends to come over, I play bartender for a couple of hours, we all get hammered, and around 1am we hit the hot tub. Only problem is that unlike going out to a bar or some huge party downtown, chances of hooking up with a random at midnight at the house are about zero. It's the age-old dilemma of "Do I want free booze, a place to crash, and not worry about having to drive/find a cab" vs. "Do I want to hook up for a few hours and probably be sober because I'll have to drive or find a friend to trick into DD'ing." My liver usually wins.
frown.gif

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this year One of my roommates and I will host a Formal but not so Formal party at our apartment. Basically guys wear suits, ladies wear dresses. Last years party was a big success and with the size of our apartment, hosting 20-30 shouldn't be a problem at all. Hopefully no one falls and gets a gash in their head again....
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads