• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New bespoke dinner jacket - now with photo of cutting process...more to come

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:lurk:

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Thank you all - will keep this going with photos as and when Matthew sends them to me

First fitting is on September 19th, will try to get some photos then as well

R-O-T

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ROT, looking forward to fitting pictures. I was thinking about getting three patch on the green donegal, I know Edwin doesn't care too much for patch pockets but that cloth strikes me as very casual and a breast patch would be appropriate. Probably with swelled edges.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score

ROT, looking forward to fitting pictures. I was thinking about getting three patch on the green donegal, I know Edwin doesn't care too much for patch pockets but that cloth strikes me as very casual and a breast patch would be appropriate. Probably with swelled edges.

I opted for 2-patch and welted breast pocket. I am not really a fan of patch breast pockets. Have it on a fresco blazer by NSM, and in retrospect I regret it. My other jackets by them are all 2-patch, welted breast

Am really looking forward to the Donegal - such an amazing cloth. Fear it will lead all of my other cold weather jackets to be neglected

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for thoughts so far
I will have a look at the plain wool as well as the wool/mohair offerings. I was attracted to the blend as it will offer a bit more crispness, which I like in evening clothes
In terms of configuration, I am changing my mind hourly...on the one hand I like the simplicity of a 1B SB, on the other hand my favourite suits by Steed are DB...Shawl lapels to me are classic, and just a little bit different. I guess I have been brainwashed by all those pictures of Connery and the DoW
How I arrived at these two options is:
1) I don't want another DB peak lapel dinner jacket - so if I go DB it will definitely be a shawl
2) If I wanted a 1B SB peak I would probably go for a tailor with a more structured style, something like a Huntsman. Maybe I am wrong about this, but I feel the softer drape cut of Steed will be better suited to a Shawl
3) Hence, it will either be a 1B SB shawl or a 4x1 DB shawl
Whatever I do it will have side vents. My current dinner jacket does not, and it is driving my insane
R-O-T

A bit of Style Form heresy to complicate your decision process:

Notch Lapel SB worn with a vest (waistcoat)

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score

A bit of Style Form heresy to complicate your decision process:
Notch Lapel SB worn with a vest (waistcoat)

Could never do that - just think notch lapel SB DJs look wrong

In any case too late - the DB shawl 4x1 has been cut and is being made up for a first fitting in two weeks

R-O-T

Boisey

Reaction score
Just a quick note for those eagle-eyed of you that may have noticed but we have put a neck cut in on the Dinner Jacket as well as the Donegal. I just happened to be a bit hasty with taking the photo and did so before we marked the neck cut.

Also regarding the Notch-Lapel on a DJ, I much prefer the Shawl Collar or Peak Lapel. The Notch-Lapel is a bit too "Hollywood" for me and reminds me of more hire-wear or OTR.

Best,

Matthew

www.steed.co.uk

[email protected]

Qualityguru

Reaction score
I would go with the 1B SB. Single vent would be a hipper look. Go a inch and a half shorter in the coat length. Piped pockets with flaps. Pipe pockets in grossgrain. Flaps will let you wear it two ways, with or without. Want to wear it piped, tuck in flaps and press properly. This will add versatility. Sleeve buttons = 2 functional covered grossgrain. Maybe go a little bigger than 24L.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I would go with the 1B SB. Single vent would be a hipper look. Go a inch and a half shorter in the coat length. Piped pockets with flaps. Pipe pockets in grossgrain. Flaps will let you wear it two ways, with or without. Want to wear it piped, tuck in flaps and press properly. This will add versatility. Sleeve buttons = 2 functional covered grossgrain. Maybe go a little bigger than 24L.

Is there no emoticon for head exploding?

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score

Mother of God, that sounds awful. You nearly made me choke on my Monday martini

R-O-T

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8