1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Classic custom tuxedo specification advice

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Chrisevans19, Dec 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Chrisevans19

Chrisevans19 New Member

Hello,

I am deciding on the precise specification for my first bespoke tuxedo. I have put a lot of research in and am keen to get it right- formal, attention to detail and in keeping with the ‘correct’ etiquette rules for black tie. To set the scene- I am 26 years old, 6’2’’ and 90kg and I am reasonably trim.

My thoughts are as follows-

Jacket-

Midnight blue/black fine barathea wool

9-10 ounce/ 300/340gsm fabric

Ventless/double vented

Shawl lapel- high cut or wide peak lapels

Grosgrain black silk to peak lapel or black satin if shawl lapel

Single button closure in grosgrain/satin

Jetted pockets- self fabric

Four cuff buttons in grosgrain/satin, touching

Buttonhole left lapel with stem holder on reverse

Inside jacket pocket

Silk lining

Waistcoat-

Same material to front. Single breasted.

Deep U cut to hide underneath jacket- hide waistband and shirt

Shawl lapels in grosgrain/satin

Curved tips/pointed if peak lapel

Three stud closure to match shirt studs

Two self faces jetted pockets

Tab to link with button inside of waistband

Cummerbund-

Matching jacket/wool colour with jacket Faille silk/satin

Four pleats

Slight dip in centre

Concealed pocket on reverse

‘Belt’ clasp closure on back

Tab to connect with button on trouser waistband

Trousers-

Midnight blue barathea wool to match

Grosgrain silk stripe to outside seam

No pleats

Catch closure with zip

Side adjusters

Diagonal cut pockets

Button fasteners for braces

Silk lining

Hemmed for slight break

Buttons on waistband to attach shirt and cummerbund/waistcoat

Shirt-

Sheer white cotton

Marcella bib down to 3rd/4th stud, buttons below

Marcella cuffs and collar

Turndown collar- slightly spread

Mother of pearl studs

Tab to attach to trouser band

Bow tie-

Back grosgrain to match lapels

Classic ‘fish’ shape

I am of course aware that a waistcoat and cummerbund are not worn together, I just want to get both made for flexibility.

Should the bow tie colour always be black? Are midnight blue lapels to match a midnight blue wool incorrect? If not, should the bow tie then also be blue? Do the grosgrains/Faille of both the lapels and cummerbund tend to clash?

Am I missing any other important details? Should I be going along different lines for any elements?

Many thanks for your thoughts/criticisms.

2. johng70

johng70 Senior Member

I have to ask - at 26, where do you go that you will get the use out of a bespoke tuxedo? What tuxedo do you currently wear to all these functions? Have you been 90kg since you were 18? If you're going to monthly functions, it could be a good investment. But, if you're going to 1 function a year, spending $3000 (or whatever you plan on spending) I only ask because, if you're going to start investing in bespoke suits and tuxedos you should really have a VERY stable body size.

3. Chrisevans19

Chrisevans19 New Member

My fiancée and I have maybe 4 black tie work events a year that we go to. Which I know isn’t a huge amount.

I currently wear a cheap tuxedo from next- it was about £80. It works but doesn’t fit well and just looks a bit cheap.

Fair point re body size- my weight has been stable for the past 3 years or so. Hopefully it won’t increase further.

I plan on getting it made in Vietnam when I am holiday there- I have had things made there before and the tailors are extremely good- they will put you together a handmade bespoke two piece suite in 100% wool or a cashmere blend with silk lining for around £300-350. You can go down to £150 if you choose cheaper wool blends. As many fittings as you need until it’s perfect. At that sort of money it changes the equation for me somewhat.