• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need denim from japan? or anything else?

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tangerine
Does anyone know/can anyone explain the difference between the Red Moon models HR-01A and HR-01C? Google translation has not been clear enough for me.

Oh, and 1,000 ¥ is not the answer I am looking for.
wink.gif

The HR-01A is the one I bought!

coldrice: you said earlier that the Pure Blues are supposedly superior to the 45RPMs. Now that you have a pair, what's your take? And if they are in fact a better pair of jeans, why?

Also, I'm looking for a really nice pair of sneakers. Anyone know of some very high quality Japanese labels?

xcoldricex

Reaction score
i like both for different reasons. the fabric of the pbj's is very unique (kinda "loud" if another denimhead looks at your jeans), 45rpm is no frills, no gimmicks. there's room for both in my wardrobe.

visvim perhaps?

xcoldricex

Reaction score
hope this point is moot now, but i had credit card problems yesterday, my card was getting declined at the stores and the card company wasn't giving me any reasons (its a debit card and i definitely have sufficient funds). i think its because i've been purchasing such large $ items this past week. i emailed my bank and i even had someone in the states call them- who told them that they would email me back right away- but they never did. so hopefully they just fixed the problem and everything will be peachy today. if not well it'll be interesting to go with very little cash until monday evening. sorry if this makes you guys wait another day or two.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
hope this point is moot now, but i had credit card problems yesterday, my card was getting declined at the stores and the card company wasn't giving me any (its a debit card and i definitely have sufficient funds). i think its because i've been purchasing such large $ items this past week. i emailed my bank and i even had someone in the states call them- who told them that they would email me back right away- but they never did. so hopefully they just fixed the problem and everything will be peachy today. if not well it'll be interesting to go with very little cash until monday evening. sorry if this makes you guys wait another day or two.

A security check (usually a phone call to your home number) is typical protocol for most credit card whenever there are unusually high numbers of purchases (moreso the $ amount.) This probably saves credit card users bundles in the long run, but can be a hassle. I ran up about $1000 on three separate purchases in a couple of hours just a couple of weeks ago, and that triggered it for me. Luckily, my wife was home...

xcoldricex

Reaction score
yeah, well they were supposed to email me and ask me a few personal questions to clear it up but they never did- and now they are closed until monday...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
You sure "luckily" is the word you want to use?
laugh.gif

Well, only $230 of that was for me. $175 was for her, and the rest was stuff to sell so I could defray the cost of those purchases!

mgroup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
update!

also, while i was in there the guy was like, what jeans are you wearing?! (they were the pure blue AI-001's) i thought it was pretty funny.

coldrice,

Can you post more pictures of the PBJ AI-001's ? Thanks

tangerine

Reaction score
I got my wallet today. I have never seen a Red Moon "in person" so I can't compare the two, but this one surprised me with the quality of both the leather and the construction. It's a very nice item.

I knew it would be fairly large, but it's even bigger than I thought; it does fit in the back pocket of my Fullcounts but it's snug. I also feel like I'm tilted a little to the side when I'm sitting down.
laugh.gif
I know it will subside once it gets broken in a bit.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
some pics: pbj denim comparison (ai-001 left, pbj xx-003 right)
105ds0i.jpg
xx-003 cloth closeup
105ds9c.jpg
45rpm ltd. aihiko's
105duea.jpg
105dsih.jpg

xcoldricex

Reaction score
as you can see the fabric and the color of the two pbjs are quite different. contrary to what ringring says- the fabric on the xx-003 isn't that similar to the warehouse duckdiggers in my opinion (unless you're just looking from afar)- the duckdiggers that i've seen are all smooth to the touch, visually slubby- the xx-003's have a rough texture and are also visually slubby. i hope that makes sense?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, that made my choice easier

ringring

Reaction score
"contrary to what ringring says- the fabric on the xx-003 isn't that similar to the warehouse duckdiggers in my opinion (unless you're just looking from afar)- the duckdiggers that i've seen are all smooth to the touch, visually slubby- the xx-003's have a rough texture and are also visually slubby."

Wash the Duck Diggers and you'll see what I mean - I would defy anyone to call them "smooth to the touch". The Diggers will bobble up. The Pure Blues are one wash.

The following are 2 pics from the Warehouse site. These are 'industrially' washed and the lighting is a bit flat, but you can clearly see the rough nature of the denim after washing. If you touch them, they won't feel smooth to the touch at all.

http://www.ware-house.co.jp/upimg/item/pc/280_2.jpg
http://www.ware-house.co.jp/upimg/item/pc/258_2.jpg

Fantastic denim, like the XX-003

PS - I completely agree with Coldrice that the AI's are somewhat 'loud' both the denim and stitching (although we're talking degrees of 'loudness' here - I mean it's not Elton John country).

ringring

Reaction score
In the pictures from the Warehouse links, you'll see the little 'bobbles' in the denim. I stress that the photos in those links have 'flattened' the denim. You'll understand when you touch a washed pair.

This kind of bobbling is quite popular at the moment on washed denim brands, and is usually achieved by fluffing the denim up with a rasp.

On the Warehouse Diggers the bobbling occurs naturally in the denim - just like on the Pure Blues. If you look at a dry pair of Pure Blue XX-003 and compare them to a pair of dry Diggers, then you'll also notice the similarity.

Diggers are pretty special.

If you're looking for an alternative to PBJ XX-003 then take a lot at Studio D'artisan's D1237 at around 20,700 Yen. I'd swear the denim is identical, right down to the pink selvedge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads