• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Balmoral Boots

clintonf

Reaction score
Hi all, I just thought that I'd add my tuppence worth to the thread. I have had the privilege of meeting Mr. Roberts. He took some sample shoes with him to our meeting.

The experience was very positive and what I liked the most was his energy and excitment. He REALLY enjoys what he does. His sense of customer service appears to be second to none.

Even if his shoes weren't that good (but believe me they ARE, in my opinion), his desire to make the customer happy would ensure that he does a good job and accommodate most of a customers concerns.

Although I've not had anything made by him (cashflow issue), I'm hoping to commission him for most of my shoes from now on.

To conclude, I'm be no means an expert in shoes, but I do have a few pairs. I would not hesitate to recommend and use him myself.

And no, I don't get any discount for writing this
happy.gif

With his permission, I've enclosed a couple of photos that I captured of his shoes. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I did. Unfortunately, I didn't take any of the soles, but they are similar to the Bals picture above (sorry
frown.gif
)

Clint

Shoe5.jpg

Shoe6.jpg

Shoe7.jpg

Shoe8.jpg

Sebastian

Reaction score
WOW, the second pair is epic!!!

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if he is making more now than he was when he was employed (by whoever he was)

Who would you guys compare the quality to?

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
This is amazing. I am lukewarm with the captoe. The proportions are off to me. The last also seems blobby.

Hi, I think that I'll have to say that the "blobby" look could be because of the quality of the photography. Combine this with intentional darkening of the toe (he has antiqued the captoe) and this may give the impression that the shoes are more blobby than they may be.

I certainly didn't get that impression when I saw the shoes. I really wished that I'd have taken more pictures of the shoes. But they were just for me to show my girl. I decided to post them here, as they may give some indication of what one can expect.

However, the brogues are absolutely great (to my mind) and I will ask Mr. Roberts to make me a pair exactly like them.

Cheers

Clint

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
This is amazing. I am lukewarm with the captoe. The proportions are off to me. The last also seems blobby.

I'm with you. I'll wait to see examples of other lasts.

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
I wonder if he is making more now than he was when he was employed (by whoever he was)

Who would you guys compare the quality to?

I'd like to answer that, but I don't really have a wealth of experience of various shoes. What I will say, is that they are as decent in construction as most of the shoes I have from Grenson, Alfred Sargent, Cheaney and Trickers). I don't own any branded C & J's, but I do have Peal shoes and these are as nice as that.

I will say that the finish isn't perfection. Mr. Roberts said that this is intentional. He believes that hand created (finished) shoes should have imperfections. That will give each pair their individually.

I hope that this helps.

Clint

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started to say this a few pages back, but didn't. I have to say I don't like the balance of the pattern on these shoes, especially the wingtips. They somehow make the shoes look even more stubby and inelegant than the somewhat blobby last would do already. I wasn't sure if I was just imagining things, until Boris showed his picture of the boots after they'd been worn. The creasing goes right across the wing tip itself which, IMO looks awful. I always think that creasing should be on the vamp, behind whatever toe decoration the shoe has going on.

Now, I wear AEs, so I won't throw stones from my glass house. I'm sure this shoemaker is a great guy, and he's obviously quite a skilled craftsman, but I think I'd try to work with him to refine the pattern before ordering anything.

Edit: I have to say, the antiqued burgundy brogues look better in this respect than any of the others in the thread.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting my JL Brooklands inspired boots on a last similar to the 888, but with a few tweaks to make it look more like the JL 8000 last. I'll post pics when I receive them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads