1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

My Balmoral Boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AnGeLiCbOrIs, Mar 30, 2009.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This is amazing. I am lukewarm with the captoe. The proportions are off to me. The last also seems blobby.

I'm with you. I'll wait to see examples of other lasts.

2. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

I wonder if he is making more now than he was when he was employed (by whoever he was)

Who would you guys compare the quality to?

I'd like to answer that, but I don't really have a wealth of experience of various shoes. What I will say, is that they are as decent in construction as most of the shoes I have from Grenson, Alfred Sargent, Cheaney and Trickers). I don't own any branded C & J's, but I do have Peal shoes and these are as nice as that.

I will say that the finish isn't perfection. Mr. Roberts said that this is intentional. He believes that hand created (finished) shoes should have imperfections. That will give each pair their individually.

I hope that this helps.

Clint

3. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

These shoes have actually re-inspired me to finish law school so as to have enough money to afford a pair. Absolutely beautiful.
    Hopefully by the time you graduate, you will have learned better.[​IMG]

4. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I started to say this a few pages back, but didn't. I have to say I don't like the balance of the pattern on these shoes, especially the wingtips. They somehow make the shoes look even more stubby and inelegant than the somewhat blobby last would do already. I wasn't sure if I was just imagining things, until Boris showed his picture of the boots after they'd been worn. The creasing goes right across the wing tip itself which, IMO looks awful. I always think that creasing should be on the vamp, behind whatever toe decoration the shoe has going on.

Now, I wear AEs, so I won't throw stones from my glass house. I'm sure this shoemaker is a great guy, and he's obviously quite a skilled craftsman, but I think I'd try to work with him to refine the pattern before ordering anything.

Edit: I have to say, the antiqued burgundy brogues look better in this respect than any of the others in the thread.

5. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I'm getting my JL Brooklands inspired boots on a last similar to the 888, but with a few tweaks to make it look more like the JL 8000 last. I'll post pics when I receive them.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm getting my JL Brooklands inspired boots on a last similar to the 888, but with a few tweaks to make it look more like the JL 8000 last. I'll post pics when I receive them.

I'm very much looking forward to pics of this last - is he going to send you interim pics as he did for angelicboris?

7. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I requested pics of the process so I'd like to think so. I just placed the order the other day so I'm sure it won't get started for a little bit. I'll post pics as I recieve them...fun stuff!

8. Monkey

Monkey Well-Known Member

Cliff just sent me some teaser pics. Apologies for the small size, as this is what he sent me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Nice. Those trees look significantly shorter than the lasts; doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of lasted trees?

10. Monkey

Monkey Well-Known Member

They do look shorter, but I'm not sure if it's just due to the angle the photo was taken at. Cliff didn't have a last in my size, so he had to get a pair made. I'm guessing the lasted trees would have been made at the same time.

11. Marbles29

Marbles29 Senior member

Wow...nice looking boots

12. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

anybody buy shoes on the chisel last/

13. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

14. Monkey

Monkey Well-Known Member

Cliff must be following this thread or read your mind Orgetorix. He just sent me these pics of the last and trees. [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

fcuknu - I'll be getting a pair of boots on the chisel last similar to the 888 made up. There will be a few minor alterations to make them look a bit more like the JL 8000. I'll post pics letting you know how they turn out...

16. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Very nice.

17. navysuede

navysuede Senior member

Beautifully built footwear.Hand welted , channeled and finished,What more could you ask
    for at 290 pounds.
    Great job Cliff

18. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

I wonder if he could do higher heels like in Vass and G&G; it seems to make the shoe much more elegant.

19. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

I ordered a pair of balmoral boots in US12D in the squared last...some use this term interchangeably with "chiseled" last but with me squared and chiseled are 2 different things

A last can have both a squared front and be chiseled. Those who have bespoke Cleverley's or Fosters tend to get the chiseled front.

His description was that is was a squared last similar to EG's 888.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. navysuede

navysuede Senior member