1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

My Balmoral Boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AnGeLiCbOrIs, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

AnGeLiCbOrIs - You still haven't commented upon the quality of the leather...

2. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

Considering these shoes were complimentary, its great to hear he enjoys them even more

Does anyone have any suggestions on a Northampton area last maker who possibly can assist in making a bespoke last for Clifford to use?

3. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

AnGeLiCbOrIs - You still haven't commented upon the quality of the leather...

+1

4. Michael Ay329

There was also talk of it being similar to some EG lasts so I'm confused as to how "custom" these are. I guess the measurements were just to be certain of width more than anything else.
    I live on another continent and did not have the opportunity to be measured by him He said he uses a lasts similar in shape, fit, and dimension to EG's 202 and 888. Since I fit well in the 888 and find its squared shape desireable, we agreed to make a standard last in my same EG size and use his "similar to the 888 last" for my first commission. Its not a custom/bespoke last. Perhaps if one visits him in person, he can hook us up with a local Northampton area bespoke last maker who can then transfer the final product to Clifford for all future commissions. If the bespoke last maker can improve the fit, coupled with decent quality construction and leathers used by Clifford, the budget conscious SF member now has access to bespoke shoes at an affordable price

5. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Does anyone have any suggestions on a Northampton area last maker who possibly can assist in making a bespoke last for Clifford to use?

"˜Springline' in Northampton is the only last making firm left in the UK.
    They make production lasts for all the Northampton factories.
    http://www.springline.net/index.html

They will also make individual bespoke lasts., as well as bespoke shoe trees.
    http://www.springline.net/bespoke.htm

They can also supply you one of their (numerous) stock lasts, which you (or someone else) can alter to your requirements.

Also check the catalogue of SpenlÃ[​IMG] in Germany. They have a huge library of different styles:
    http://www.spenle.de/

You would have to clear with Cliff, if he is willing to work with individual (and idiosyncratic) lasts
    or if he prefers to work with just two or three last styles he knows well.

It is always good to have your own last on the mantle piece.

6. Michael Ay329

BS, Clifford suggested Springline...I just have to investigate how to properly measure myself in order for Springline to make it and ship it to Clifford. He said he has other client's who give him their own lasts so he's flexible.

If the stars and moon are properly aligned, I might have found an alternative to London Bespoke shoes

I discussed this with Dean Girling about a year ago so that they create my bespoke last and use it for my MTO shoes...but he said no since their production was not set up for this...I could not understand his reasoning since he was vague and I understood it to politely mean if you want a bespoke last, then order bespoke shoes.

7. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Eh... the brouging on the new pair looks a little funky to me. Nice soles tho!

8. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

bengal- you never cease to amaze me with your wealth of knowledge
    "˜Springline' in Northampton is the only last making firm left in the UK.
    They make production lasts for all the Northampton factories.
    http://www.springline.net/index.html

They will also make individual bespoke lasts., as well as bespoke shoe trees.
    http://www.springline.net/bespoke.htm

They can also supply you one of their (numerous) stock lasts, which you (or someone else) can alter to your requirements.

Also check the catalogue of SpenlÃ[​IMG] in Germany. They have a huge library of different styles:
    http://www.spenle.de/

You would have to clear with Cliff, if he is willing to work with individual (and idiosyncratic) lasts
    or if he prefers to work with just two or three last styles he knows well.

It is always good to have your own last on the mantle piece.

9. mouseandcat

mouseandcat Senior member

wow. thank god i ran into this...does anyone have any COMPLAINTS with the shoes yet? or is this simply as good as it sounds?

10. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

The leather quality is excellent. I don't currently have EGs but it compares well with my C&J handgrades.

11. pabloj

pabloj Senior member

The leather quality is excellent. I don't currently have EGs but it compares well with my C&J handgrades.
    And with this Cliff's future is done.
    He will be SF's official shoemaker for the next 10 years at least.
    I can imagine all the crazy design flowing from our minds to his mailbox ...

12. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Cliff is a good guy. Utterly committed to doing well by the customer.

Not a criticism, but a consideration: his lasts are a bit "hearty".

Otherwise, an incredible price for a hand-welted shoe in quality leather.

13. Michael Ay329

Called Springline, 190 pounds includes VAT for a pair of bespoke lasts. I'm awaiting an e-mail from them with directions on how to measure myself and then snail mail it back to them

They have worked with Clifford in the past....contact person at Springline is Ken

Payment can be check...or for those of us overseas...by bank transfer

Lasts will be ready within 2 weeks from date payment and measurements received.
    Clifford can pick them up by person

If I do go this route and opt to order a 2nd pair of shoes from Clifford, it will be interesting to see how well the bespoke lasted shoe fits compared to the first one made on my standard last

14. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Not a criticism, but a consideration: his lasts are a bit "hearty".

what do you mean by hearty?

15. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

blobbbbby.... The new chisel last looks better though.

16. jon5986

jon5986 Senior member

Who is Clifford?

17. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are on Yakuza last [​IMG]

I love em.

Suprised, because this last/design is as far from British as you could get.

18. Haemus

Haemus Well-Known Member

These are on Yakuza last [​IMG]

I love em.

Suprised, because this last/design is as far from British as you could get.

+1 [​IMG]
    Beg to differ on the last sentence. It is hard to say what is British these days; so much had been watered down at traditional Brit labels by art directors coming from the land of pasta.
    Pasta is great, but Italian design in general seemingly is overtly more preoccupied with creating fashion, rather than preserving a style, it is a hit and miss exercise, at least to my personal taste.
    Revenons aux notre chaussures - duck bills were statrted on Apennines, then from the same place came pointed toes (ad extremis). When first saw Church's 108 last, thought this had been forced upon by Prada, gradually began to like it as mildly pointier brother to EG 82, but then came C&J 351 last (mind you a handgrade one), though C&J was not formally part of an 'Italian job'. Pictures are not 'doing it justice' to the latter, as it looks 'blobbier' than in person - Romanesque fashion venom to the Chinese volume onslaught on shoes mass market.
    Chiseled last used by artisan known on this forum by his Christian name only as pictured in quote is very similar to what you could get RTW/semi bespoke at Cleverley/ Foster & Son.
    Do not feel chiseled last is un-British as you could get.

19. Monkey

Monkey Well-Known Member

Pics of the upper and making the insole. The pictures are only used as a rough guide and may not show the true colours and the leather is unpolished. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Pics of the upper and making the insole. The pictures are only used as a rough guide and may not show the true colours and the leather is unpolished.

More! More!

Is that on the chiseled last?