• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My A. Kurtz Bag - too fem?

yeayea

Reaction score
What do you think of this bag? I wanted a military style bag but actual army surplus bag dont seem to be easy to find. I picked up this A Kurtz bag and so far I really like it. I use it as a day bag when I need to carry clothes and books or an overnight bag. I wanted to get something stylish, as I often do day trips to NYC.

I received a comment that is a womans bag (or something like that). What do you all think?

Im thinking I might be better off with something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-PUMA-Shoulde...QQcmdZViewItem

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Err, that is one of the least feminine bags I have seen.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Err, that is one of the least feminine bags I have seen.

What he said
plain.gif

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoever said that probably saw you carrying it like a tote, which is generally seen as feminine (or, at best, old man). If you received this comment while wearing it like a ruck, you should probably stop taking fashion advice from the mentally marsupialed.

[edit]

Oh my ****, the Puma back ******* redefines hideous.

yoyo

Reaction score
yeah it should go well with your subaru.

yeayea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Whoever said that probably saw you carrying it like a tote, which is generally seen as feminine (or, at best, old man). If you received this comment while wearing it like a ruck, you should probably stop taking fashion advice from the mentally marsupialed.

[edit]

I was and you're right.

Originally Posted by Arethusa

Oh my ****, the Puma back ******* redefines hideous.

That .. was .. awesome!!

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know big purses are in, but have they really become that big?!

coiol

Reaction score
Even worn over one shoulder, it doesn't look feminine in any way.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Soldier's pack on which
he rests his embattled head;
how can this be gay?

yeayea

Reaction score
Well.. its obviously not a real army bag but a 'stylish' rendition of one..
i guess 'stylish' = feminine or gay to some people (lesson #1 from this post)

i usually dont care what about what people say but im taking steps outside of my style/image comfort zone lately so im taking special notice of people's reactions to my new clothes - im still very new so it will be some time before i build up confidence in my choices (so please bare with me)

i guess this brings up another point: how to wear a man-bag?

this particular piece is interesting because i have all option (shoulder, side or purse-style, or backpack/ruck sack)

which to choose? the backpack is the most comfortable and easiest (especially when hurrying through the city streets) but might come off as immature

the shoulder strap is convenient at times but not very comfortable and might be a bit more fem/gay/metro (not sure)

the side/purse style may be the most feminine way of holding a bag, but it also seems to feel the most mature or sophisticated - i recently was looking through the sartorialist blog and found a pick of a guy carrying a bag in this fashion with the heading "I could learn a lot from these guys about ... carrying a man-bag"
(http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/...1_archive.html - scroll down to March 15)

so that has got me a bit confused..

ps - i dont want to seem homophobic or whatever, but im trying out new styles and clothes and, as we know, your clothes send out a message about your personality - i dont want the message to be: gay guy. Not that theres anything wrong with that, its just not.. accurate.
wink.gif

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it looks feminine, but when you wear it over one should I can see it looking like that.

Funny though, one of my female friends has a pink Marc Jacobs bag that looks very similar to this. Even if pink it doesn't really look girly.
laugh.gif

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont think wearing it over one shoulder would be fem, or wearing it any way for that matter. I fyou carry yourself with confidence no one will think anything of it. For Manbag advice I think you should look to other parts of the world where they are a bit more popular/accepted than here in the states.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just sling it over your shoulder and don't worry about it. Seriously.

I use one of these everyday to carry the crap I need to work.

yeayea

Reaction score
Now those are some manly bags!

And exactly what I was looking for in the first place. Seems I should have come to you guys before I purchased.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly see nothing wrong with the bag you have, other than its a bit big for my liking

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads