• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My A. Kurtz Bag - too fem?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
I honestly see nothing wrong with the bag you have, other than its a bit big for my liking

I agree.

Goblin

Reaction score
Does your husband know you posted this thread?

Seriously, though, that bag would only be considered feminine by a certain segment of the Lilith Fair demographic.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just an observational 2 cents:

The puma bag on the ebay has been spotted on chicks all throughout various campuses, and is probably less straight than the original bag.

yeayea

Reaction score
cool.

i wanted a larger bag that could double as an overnight/gym bag as i have been working with a personal trainer in the city. its an hour train ride for me and i sometimes shop/hang out after i train so i needed something easy to carry and that looks good (and not like im lugging around all my gym gear).. i think it serves the purpose

thanks for all the feedback.. it seems i made a good choice (even if i could have gotten a true army surplus bag for cheaper) .. like i said, im still learning and calibrating my style so all the feedback is much appreciated (both the positive and negative)

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Just an observational 2 cents:

The puma bag on the ebay has been spotted on chicks all throughout various campuses, and is probably less straight than the original bag.

yeah seriousl

cookieoflife

Reaction score
Awesome bag. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

And where'd you get it?
blush.gif

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yeayea
i guess this brings up another point: how to wear a man-bag? this particular piece is interesting because i have all option (shoulder, side or purse-style, or backpack/ruck sack) which to choose? the backpack is the most comfortable and easiest (especially when hurrying through the city streets) but might come off as immature the shoulder strap is convenient at times but not very comfortable and might be a bit more fem/gay/metro (not sure) the side/purse style may be the most feminine way of holding a bag, but it also seems to feel the most mature or sophisticated - i recently was looking through the sartorialist blog and found a pick of a guy carrying a bag in this fashion with the heading "I could learn a lot from these guys about ... carrying a man-bag" (http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/...1_archive.html - scroll down to March 15)
If you're going to use the shoulder strap, I believe it should cross your chest. Having it hanging off your shoulder only works if you don't have anything heavy in it, and if there's nothing heavy in it, then that implies it's that big for fashion, hence purse. Holding it in your hand looks a little odd (but not in a gay way) for a bag in such a utilitarian style. Notice that these guys' bags are more upscale and much less busy. So I'm going to vote for backpack, although you've got to tuck that crazy strap somewhere...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The horror...

Just kidding. It's not bad, I just wanted to say that. That said, it is pretty gigantic - maybe you can detach one of the straps or something? Personally if I wanted to carry that much stuff I'd get a taller, thinner backpack to distribute the load more evenly, and if you want manly anything from someone like Blackhawk or the other tactical gear guys (there's an indy shop that is really good in Tacoma but I can't remember the name) would be able to do it. But anyway, if you like it, I think it's fine.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jared, I am quite glad I clicked on your link and saw this.
modmohawkna4.jpg

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
modmohawkna4.jpg

It's funny, but the brown leather strap really adds something to this look. Without it, I'd assume she were carrying a bag made out of woven tritanium or something. So remember: next time you travel back in time, get period accessories!

DMcG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
and if you want manly anything from someone like Blackhawk or the other tactical gear guys (there's an indy shop that is really good in Tacoma but I can't remember the name) would be able to do it. But anyway, if you like it, I think it's fine.

Is Tactical Tailor the one you're thinking of?

As for the original bag it looks big enough to carry a dead hooker in, but I don't think that makes it feminine.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DMcG
Is Tactical Tailor the one you're thinking of?

As for the original bag it looks big enough to carry a dead hooker in, but I don't think that makes it feminine.

Yes, that's them. The other one I was thinking of is Eagle who makes the popular Becker Patrol Pack. But TT would be more likely to customize your bag for you if you want a different type of strap, etc.

Joshua s

Reaction score
Personally, I'm not that crazy about it but, but I don't think it looks feminine.
I don't like its size nor the fact that it has a brand's name plastered across it.

Just my $0.02.....

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man bag1
man bag 2

how do you guys feel about this style of bag, like for small ****? I saw them everywhere in Tokyo the last time I was there and my girlfriend wanted me to pick one up instead of a messenger bag ( I went with the messenger). I was thinking of getting one just to have random junk in (passport and other stuff too big for my pockets). When I wore my messenger for 6+ hours of walking around it really wore my shoulder out (not that I dont like nightly massages, but it started to hurt that whole side). As of late though I am having a hard time sourcing a bag similar but in different styles. BTW I am talking about wearing it with the carabeiner like in the pic.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
img10122044900.jpeg

Those are very neat. If you wanted to carry anything heavier than a passport, I think you'd need suspenders and a safe-for-climbing biner! (Perhaps a locking biner to make it harder to snatch?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads