• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bag for carrying laptop +/- some other bits (frank clegg backpack vs briefcase)

insolentpup

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm 33 and got a new job where I have to carry a laptop around. I don't want to look like a dork with my old backpack I've had for years, basically a cheap schoolbag.

I know that in the old days, businessmen brought a briefcase or commuter bag of leather around with them. So my first instinct was to get the frank clegg computer bag as the other bags looked too heavy potentially, eg the commuter.

But now, I'm wondering am i better off with a leather satchel? it would make things less formal which is good for me I think as i don't really want to look like a classic businessman. and also if it's leather it still looks good and it potentially has more carrying space.

what are your thoughts? although im 33 i look about 25 which is why im a bit hesitant about the briefcase! I would mostly be wearing business casual with this bag

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at a leather tote bag.

Frank Clegg make a good one but that's quite roomy. To me, the leather tote by Bennett Winch is perfect.

insolentpup

Reaction score
i strongly dislike the aesthetic of tote bags - they are too far over on the 'man bag' side of the spectrum. But that bennett winch one is probably the best ive seen

WhereNext

Reaction score
Not cheap, but Smythson has some great briefcases that are lightweight and leather, but softer in structure and with some texture, so they read (to my eye) as fine with a suit, but probably even better a bit more casually. They also offer a good range of colors, from "look at me!" to black, dark brown, or navy blue which are quite understated. I have one in navy blue that I got about a year ago and gets tons of use for carrying a laptop plus cables, a notebook, and a few other odds and ends while still being relatively small.

Nomies

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm 33 and got a new job where I have to carry a laptop around. I don't want to look like a dork with my old backpack I've had for years, basically a cheap schoolbag.

I know that in the old days, businessmen brought a briefcase or commuter bag of leather around with them. So my first instinct was to get the frank clegg computer bag as the other bags looked too heavy potentially, eg the commuter.

But now, I'm wondering am i better off with a leather satchel? it would make things less formal which is good for me I think as i don't really want to look like a classic businessman. and also if it's leather it still looks good and it potentially has more carrying space.

what are your thoughts? although im 33 i look about 25 which is why im a bit hesitant about the briefcase! I would mostly be wearing business casual with this bag

I would however look at the clothes you are wearing. If you're walking around in jeans then Frank Clegg or Carl Friedrik is a no, too formal.

A tote is a no-go for me personally, looks too female to be honest.

Maybe some modern tech-y sleeve with handle, whatever they're called? Minimal, can be carried with pretty much any clothing style. That sort of bag basically says "Yes, I have to carry this laptop to and from work, so I'm making it easier on myself".

Last edited:

insolentpup

Reaction score

I would however look at the clothes you are wearing. If you're walking around in jeans then Frank Clegg or Carl Friedrik is a no, too formal.

A tote is a no-go for me personally, looks too female to be honest.

Maybe some modern tech-y sleeve with handle, whatever they're called? Minimal, can be carried with pretty much any clothing style. That sort of bag basically says "Yes, I have to carry this laptop to and from work, so I'm making it easier on myself".
I think you're 100% right here. Realistically, I will be wearing jeans or similar and not tailored clothing. I think I need something like what you described, I will keep an eye out

EDIT: and probably not leather

Maybe even this: https://www.mrporter.com/en-ie/mens...Zb6oXwBMjiz8qJhC_RhaS5mgmwfmjc5BoCXYUQAvD_BwE

Nomies

Reaction score
I think you're 100% right here. Realistically, I will be wearing jeans or similar and not tailored clothing. I think I need something like what you described, I will keep an eye out

EDIT: and probably not leather

Maybe even this: https://www.mrporter.com/en-ie/mens...Zb6oXwBMjiz8qJhC_RhaS5mgmwfmjc5BoCXYUQAvD_BwE
Severely overpriced for what it is.

But yes, around that style. I was thinking something like this: https://maverickandco.co/collections/briefcases/products/vibrant-voyage-briefcase

T1mb0

Reaction score
A few ideas?

Or

Or

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads