• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Backpack for Business Casual?

Sam L

Reaction score
I am in a business casual work environment, and I commute by train everyday. While I agree that a briefcase would definitely look nicer, a nice backpack (e.g. leather) would make my commute so much more comfortable to carry my laptop and other work items back and forth. So my questions are:

1. Is this okay, or does it look bad enough to warrant forgoing the comfort?

2. Do you have any recommendations for nice leather (or any other nice material) backpacks that are not too expensive?

Last edited:

KOz

Reaction score
I am in a business casual work environment, and I commute by train everyday. While I agree that a briefcase would definitely look nicer, a nice backpack (e.g. leather) would make my commute so much more comfortable to carry my laptop and other work items back and forth. So my questions are:

1. Is this okay, or does it look bad enough to warrant forgoing the comfort?

2. Do you have any recommendations for nice leather (or any other nice material) backpacks that are not too expensive?
1. You did not post any pictures and, as such, it's hard to give tailored advice. What do your colleagues do?

You also alluded to the fact that it's a style/comfort trade-off. Do you find briefcases that uncomfortable? I find that backpacks can damage jackets and make the entire outfit significantly hotter.

2. No specific recommendation for brands. However, good leather will always cost a notable amount. Consider canvas as a material.

Sam L

Reaction score
1. You did not post any pictures and, as such, it's hard to give tailored advice. What do your colleagues do?

You also alluded to the fact that it's a style/comfort trade-off. Do you find briefcases that uncomfortable? I find that backpacks can damage jackets and make the entire outfit significantly hotter.

2. No specific recommendation for brands. However, good leather will always cost a notable amount. Consider canvas as a material.
I generally wear suede loafers, cotton chinos, an oxford or dress shirt, and will wear a semi-casual jacket (like a chore coat). It depends on the colleague - in my office, I don't think anyone cares if you wear a backpack, but it's more a question of style rather than a question of what my colleagues will approve. I do find briefcases quite uncomfortable, specifically for a train commute where I am standing in one spot for a decent amount of time. It's doable, but I'd definitely prefer not to if a nice backpack is an okay alternative.

To your other point, what about a backpack would damage a jacket more so than a briefcase? Even if I used a briefcase, I would be using the strap on one shoulder, and if anything, I would think that unevenly distributes the weight which would do worse damage to the jacket.

Last edited:

KOz

Reaction score
I generally wear suede loafers, cotton chinos, an oxford or dress shirt, and will wear a semi-casual jacket (like a chore coat). It depends on the colleague - in my office, I don't think anyone cares if you wear a backpack, but it's more a question of style rather than a question of what my colleagues will approve. I do find briefcases quite uncomfortable, specifically for a train commute where I am standing in one spot for a decent amount of time.
Very fair - I did not realise standing was involved during the commute. What about something you can wear over the shoulder?

SuaveStyle

Reaction score
I personally think as long as you’re not wearing it with suits, a nice backpack can easily work. It definitely offloads the weight of a single strap with a briefcase and can hold a lot more stuff, including say a lunch bag/pale. That is part of the reason I bought one myself. It’s great for traveling too. I can fit a dopp bag, change of clothes, plus laptop etc as my “personal item” carry on. I have the JW Hulme backpack in heritage (pic below). I did pay a little over 600 for it on sale, but it will last a lifetime if cared for. Frank Clegg has a nice looking option too but it’s more expensive. The only other ones I’ve seen that were actual full grain leather that were cheaper was Coach and you can check their outlet, run 150-250ish. Not quite as classic looking but a solid option if that is your price range imo.

Attachments

• IMG_2913.jpeg
    IMG_2913.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 854

callum82

Reaction score
I think it's good for the look you are describing. If you are dressed like you are on Mad Men I would say get a nice briefcase. Boss has a decent leather backpack for around 200usd.

rjc149

Reaction score
Backpack straps put stress and wear on a jacket's shoulder seams and sleeves (as you're putting on and taking off the pack), so if you're wearing a jacket, I would opt for a hand-held briefcase, using the shoulder strap only for moments when you need to be hands-free.

Commuting with a backpack is much more convenient and comfortable, especially if you need to tote a laptop around. I only carry my lunch and some knickknacks (a book, notebook, headphones, keys, business cards) so a soft briefcase with a shoulder strap is fine for me. If I carried a laptop, I would go with a backpack with smooth shoulder straps (like leather) that won't abrade the shoulders as much.

Sam L

Reaction score
I personally think as long as you’re not wearing it with suits, a nice backpack can easily work. It definitely offloads the weight of a single strap with a briefcase and can hold a lot more stuff, including say a lunch bag/pale. That is part of the reason I bought one myself. It’s great for traveling too. I can fit a dopp bag, change of clothes, plus laptop etc as my “personal item” carry on. I have the JW Hulme backpack in heritage (pic below). I did pay a little over 600 for it on sale, but it will last a lifetime if cared for. Frank Clegg has a nice looking option too but it’s more expensive. The only other ones I’ve seen that were actual full grain leather that were cheaper was Coach and you can check their outlet, run 150-250ish. Not quite as classic looking but a solid option if that is your price range imo.
Thank you. Have you ever found it to be an issue with ruining your sport coats?

I've found a few less expensive options online. What are your thoughts?

https://www.levenger.com/collection...acket-utility-backpack?variant=42513344954517 (I like this, but not sure if the mesh padding on the straps and back will be particularly bad for my semi-casual jackets).

GaiusM

Reaction score
Check out the Capra Leather thread - haven't tried them myself but have heard many good things from others here. They are a forum sponsor as well. Very reasonably priced and quality seems good.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think backpacks are fine for business casual. The problem is when you want to go leather and you're concerned about price point. That usually means you'll end up with a bag that shows it's age (and not in a good way) after a few years depending on how you use it. The more you slide it around and abuse it the more cheaper leather will lose it's finish (not tanned well) and scuff badly. Then the bag looks really bad. You want leather that is full grain. What you're unlikely to see on a website though is the tanning process. You can have quality tanned full grain leather and cheaply tanned full grain leather. The full grain tells you the leather itself will hold up well - so tanning is an unknown and will determine if/how the finish rubs off over time. Stitching, zippers matter too. I would look for bags manufactured in Western Europe / USA primarily if you want something that will last and look good for a decade or more. If you don't mind replacing every 3 years or so then it matters less.

robline

Reaction score
I underwent a similar journey of discovery recently. When I started out 30 years ago, I got a Waterfield COZMO bag like this: https://woklongbundle.blogspot.com/2012/03/brand-new-waterfield-cozmo-small.html It went with me every day on day/weekend trips on three continents and held up well, and looked great. Even today.

But after a couple of decades, I wasn't happy as much. The cross-body or over-the-shoulder carry each had their drawbacks. And eventually, when I went to Los Angeles for a 24-hour marathon business trip, it was the last straw. Always shifting the bag weight around. Constant awareness of if the strap is slipping. The awkward miles of walking with the bag gently swap-swap-swapping at my hip.

So I got a waterfield executive leather laptop backpack: https://www.sfbags.com/collections/bags/products/pro-executive-laptop-backpack

I've only had it for a couple years but so far it is by far the right call. Is it slightly less stylish... I suppose? But you know what's more stylish? Comfort, confidence, and utility. I can walk with this from my house to the car to the airport, on the plane, train, wherever, with three days of clothes, toiletries, and all my work stuff. It's comfortable and looks good enough for my tastes. I have absolutely no problem with a business backpack if you carry it well, with an air of "I'm down for whatever." Now I cringe whenever I see a briefcase or messenger bag.

admz

Reaction score
I have been using this Piquadro model for a few years, it's still in great shape and the leather is very good quality. If you look around their website, you'll find various options ranging from conservative to sporty. I see they don't sell my colour anymore - a sort of deep olive green which I think is very cool - but they still have a good selection.

I own a briefcase as well, but I barely take it out of the closet because I am very happy with the backpack.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics