• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After an ultrasonic carb clean and one bottle of forte carb cleaner, with some coaxing, she has sprung to life after three years of neglect by the previous owner.

Quite giddy about it all, panicked slightly when she was leaking gas, but it turned out to be an ill fitting fuel hose. Changed all of them out and now she runs at the push of a button.

Now to be patient for a week until the insurance kicks in. In the meantime I'll check breaking fluid, tires and all the other stuff. But getting her running was the most important part :)

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After an ultrasonic carb clean and one bottle of forte carb cleaner, with some coaxing, she has sprung to life after three years of neglect by the previous owner.

Quite giddy about it all, panicked slightly when she was leaking gas, but it turned out to be an ill fitting fuel hose. Changed all of them out and now she runs at the push of a button.

Now to be patient for a week until the insurance kicks in. In the meantime I'll check breaking fluid, tires and all the other stuff. But getting her running was the most important part :)

Which bike?

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which bike?

1982 Suzuki gsx 400 f in gold. The previous owner passed away 3 years ago, so it was all gummed up when I bought it in December. Still some work to do (clip ons, new exhaust pipes as these have rust holes, changing oil &filter and basic maintenance. It's my first bike so I want to get this right before I start putting on miles..

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1982 Suzuki gsx 400 f in gold. The previous owner passed away 3 years ago, so it was all gummed up when I bought it in December. Still some work to do (clip ons, new exhaust pipes as these have rust holes, changing oil &filter and basic maintenance. It's my first bike so I want to get this right before I start putting on miles..

Pics?

dohare

Reaction score
my 2013 cb500f just got in, took it for a spin around the block. first bike, first real ride. I started feeling like I was going a lot faster than I actually was, went onto a semi-busy road for a little, guy was riding ******, realized i was only doing 30 in a 45, it was nuts. it almost felt like i was hauling it for that kind of road. Anyone else notice this when they first started riding?

I hope this is normal.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The 500f looks pretty awesome, rode the cbr250 for my rider's course. I'd love to get the 500f for my first bike but there's not a ton of used ones floating around. Also, post pics!

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

my 2013 cb500f just got in, took it for a spin around the block.  first bike, first real ride.  I started feeling like I was going a lot faster than I actually was, went onto a semi-busy road for a little, guy was riding ******, realized i was only doing 30 in a 45, it was nuts.  it almost felt like i was hauling it for that kind of road.  Anyone else notice this when they first started riding?

I hope this is normal.

I usually have the opposite feeling.

Kookz

Reaction score

my 2013 cb500f just got in, took it for a spin around the block.  first bike, first real ride.  I started feeling like I was going a lot faster than I actually was, went onto a semi-busy road for a little, guy was riding ******, realized i was only doing 30 in a 45, it was nuts.  it almost felt like i was hauling it for that kind of road.  Anyone else notice this when they first started riding?

I hope this is normal.
Have you done your MSF course and the like? It sounds like you're very uncomfortable on a bike, which is not how you should feel when you finally get on a road with traffic on it.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hope this is normal.
Its overwhelming at first, but you get used to it. Now I dont even like riding on the highway as I dont feel comfortable doing less than 80-90

Oooo... just turned over 10K miles on the 650. First bike. Got it with 250 miles. More spills than I would have liked but I made it lol.

dohare

Reaction score

Have you done your MSF course and the like? It sounds like you're very uncomfortable on a bike, which is not how you should feel when you finally get on a road with traffic on it.

I took the msf course and have been riding dirt bikes all my life. The msf course is good for maneuvering but in the way of being ready for traffic it does nothing but instill false confidence because you master a 125cc nighthawk.

I'll post pics tomorrow when the snow clears. I'm comfortable riding, I just think it will take time getting to naturally feel how certain mphs feel. It's not second nature yet, is what I meant.

dohare

Reaction score

here she is, 2013 honda cb500f, 1k miles, $4,300 after shipping from FL to NJ.

Upgrades ordered: Yoshimura Carbon Fiber R77 Slip-on
New mirrors
Xena alarm

dohare

Reaction score
Its overwhelming at first, but you get used to it. Now I dont even like riding on the highway as I dont feel comfortable doing less than 80-90

Oooo... just turned over 10K miles on the 650. First bike. Got it with 250 miles. More spills than I would have liked but I made it lol.
so wait, where are you doing 80-90 that isn't the highway?

Are these spills mostly slides? I just bought frame sliders, I'm anticipating my falls.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

so wait, where are you doing 80-90 that isn't the highway?

Are these spills mostly slides? I just bought frame sliders, I'm anticipating my falls.

I worded that in a weird way. I meant that on the highway, my general comfy cruising speed is 80-90. Slower than that and I dunno... I'm just not comfortable, I feel like I'm going too slow, and I'm always next to another car which I don't like.

I told my wife yesterday I am going to keep my riding to roads where it doesnt make sense to do more than 60... keep the highway stuff for the cars. Highway riding is fun at first because it's new but I'm over it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads