• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of these dynatec Belstaff pants on sale from Urban Rider:

belstaff-dynatec-jeans.jpg

They're unfortunately discontinued but I'll let you guys know how they are once they come in.

I also sent an email to the Maple Moto jeans dude outlining my issues with the jeans. Curious to see if he gets back to me on them.

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're unfortunately discontinued but I'll let you guys know how they are once they come in.

I also sent an email to the Maple Moto jeans dude outlining my issues with the jeans. Curious to see if he gets back to me on them.

I suspected Dave's price point was too high for having just started his first production run. That's why you'll rarely find me as an early adopter.

Curious to hear about the Belstaffs. I'm crazy for that company.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wait...what? Did they shrink on you?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wait...what?  Did they shrink on you?

They did shrink (but not enough) and bled (too much IMO). Here's the email I sent:

Dave,

Hope all is well with you. I purchased a pair of the Maple 1941 jeans earlier this year from Revival Cycles and was hoping you'd be open to some feedback on them.

First off, I'd like to commend you for launching these. As you rightfully identified, there was a gap in the market for a pair of motorcycle jeans that not only provided protection but also looked good off of the bike.

I also commend you for going the raw selvedge route. As you well know, raw denim has taken off in the last 5-10 years and is very appealing from both a look and feel perspective.

But this is also where I feel Maple Moto jeans unfortunately fall short and why I hesitate to recommend them to my fellow riders. I've owned many pairs of raw denim jeans and all of them have been sanforized. This allows to me purchase them online with a decent idea of how they will fit once the initial wear-in and stretch has taken place.

My Maple jeans, on the other hand, were my first pair of unsanforized shrink-to-fit jeans. And after going through 2 separate hot soaks, my pair still doesn't fit close to what the stated post-shrink sizing should be. I purchased a size 32 with the understanding it would shrink to a 32 waist - it still measures closer to a 34. I understand that there may have been a sizing issue with the first run (from which I may have received my pair) but the uncertainty still exists with shrink-to-fit. I have since sent them to be tailored through the waist to get the sizing right.

This also leads to my second point: Indigo loss from soaking. One of the hugest selling points of the Maple jeans was their raw nature and look. After the 2 hot soaks required to shrink the jeans, they've lost a fair amount of indigo dye and no longer look close to raw. The dye has also run all over the stitching as well as the selvedge and interior.

The combination of the above 2 points negate the appeal of the jeans. Had I known of these issues, I would've considered buying a smaller pair and then dry cleaning them rather than washing. I'm not sure if you've received similar feedback from other users but have you considered swapping to a sanforized denim?

I think it would help eliminate the issues I outlined above. I'm obviously not trying to tell you how to run your business but just some food for thought.

I'm happy to discuss further with you should you wish.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The slim fit ones look decent but $400? That's pretty pricey, esp for a product with an unknown fit and questionable quality control

DSC_8561_grande.jpg
DSC_8579_grande.jpg
Armour_4_grande.jpeg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quality's actually pretty good but you're right about the fit. You can also have to factor in the price of the armour which would normally run around $60.

Anyways, I got mine back from the seamstress today and they fit now. She was saying that the sewing machine's needle was having trouble going through the kevlar lining. :embar:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quality's actually pretty good but you're right about the fit. You can also have to factor in the price of the armour which would normally run around $60.

Anyways, I got mine back from the seamstress today and they fit now. She was saying that the sewing machine's needle was having trouble going through the kevlar lining.
shog[1].gif

Martha Kent had the same problem

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bradley Cooper on a Thruxton and rocking a sweet Ruby Castel helmet. Ah the things a bottomless bank account can buy...

article-2417311-1BC06D7C000005DC-914_634x769.jpg

article-2417311-1BC06BA1000005DC-225_634x806.jpg

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Royal Enfield Continental GT
MSRP: ~$7500

257.jpg

121.jpg

46.jpg

196.jpg

Engine Type Single Cylinder, 4 stroke, Air cooled
Displacement 535 cc
Maximum Power 29.1 bhp (21.4 kW) @ 5100 rpm
Maximum Torque 44 Nm @ 4000 rpm
Ignition System Digital Electronic Ignition
Gearbox 5 Speed Constant Mesh
Fuel Supply Keihin Electronic Fuel Injection
Engine Start Electric & Kick
Front Tyre 100/90-18
Rear Tyre 130/70-18

Looks like a great beginner bike for those that turn their nose up at "modern" styledbikes. I can't believe they put a kick starter on it. lol

0.jpg

Last edited:

epb

Reaction score

Royal Enfield Continental GT
MSRP:  ~$7500

I don't know that I'd try to tour a continent on a cafe - they show them with bags, but where are they putting them/how are they mounting them? For the money, I'd go with a Triumph retro like a Bonnie or Thruxton. This would be tempting if it were midway between Tha Misfit ($3200) and the Bonneville - say $5k or so.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know that I'd try to tour a continent on a cafe - they show them with bags, but where are they putting them/how are they mounting them? For the money, I'd go with a Triumph retro like a Bonnie or Thruxton. This would be tempting if it were midway between Tha Misfit ($3200) and the Bonneville - say $5k or so.

Agreed. I was contemplating a RE when I was looking but for the price they're asking (~$8K in Canada) and the cc's you're getting, a Triumph made more sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads