• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most insane clothing purchase

latindandy

Reaction score
300$ zegna dress shirt (I had just graduated and my gf surprised me by washing it (with hot water FTL)).
3x Z Zegna casual shirts at 50% discount (gave them away for xmas)
1x YSL yellowish suit for high school graduation (I've gained around 100 pounds since then. I gave it away)
1x Hugo Boss tie at 30$ (most hideous piece of crap ever, feels like polyester)

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
Out of curiosity, which jeans were they?

I would say that my most insane clothing purchase was not just because of the actual value of the garment, but also my financial situation at the time. 10 years ago, I bought a pair of Yohji Yamamoto selvage jeans for $525. I've since spent more on single items (or pairs) of clothing, but that one really sticks out for me because, at the time, I was just out of school and working a minimum wage job.

Haha. Actually, they're Diors (Under My Truck) and they're BY FAR my favorite clothing item now. So not so insane. I was looking at my bank statement when I wrote the OP and the price stood out.

Most of the other posts are EXCELLENT. Prior to SF I definitely purchased a few HB shirts that were a full size too large. Seems to be a consistent theme.

artoftime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I have given thought and have found an "insane" shoe purchase: two doezen pairs of Belgian loafers.

12D's by chance? (I absolutely live in them in warm months)

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by artoftime
12D's by chance? (I absolutely live in them in warm months)

I thought that was a Madoff reference..

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Carlisle Blues
I paid $1200 for a Montecristi Panama hat. It was gorgeous and felt like linen. The hatter spelled my name wrong on the sweatband and I sent it back. I waited a while and called when the hat was not returned to me. After a couple of months I asked for and got a return of my money.

Thing is a couple of years later I saw a similar quality hat on eBay and grabbed it for $250 with a money back gaurentee if I found the hat not to be a Montecristi of the quality I expected it to be. Nice deal happy ending for me. The seller was hard up for cash so this worked out for him as well...
smile.gif

Awww, I was expecting the Ebay hat to have your misspelled name on the sweatband. Embellish , next time, instead of disappointing me.
biggrin.gif

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Medwed
Awww, I was expecting the Ebay hat to have your misspelled name on the sweatband. Embellish , next time, instead of disappointing me.
biggrin.gif

LOL if I were to buy a panama on Ebay without knowing what I was looking for or who I was dealing with and spent that kind of money then I deserve to have my name spelled as follows: S-T-U-P-I-D... There would be no reason for embellishment and my experience would have provided your day's entertainment...
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads