• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out modshoes dot co dot uk or dot com(forget which). 66 Clothing on his site does some of them

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey lads, very interesting discussions here lately!

I was watching Love and Mercy, the film about Brian Wilson, and couldn't keep my eyes off those sweet 1960s lightweight jumpers with contrasted and slightly rising collars Brian and his brothers wear in the 60s scenes. Do you know where I can find one of those nowadays? Ask me for screencaps if you don't know what I mean
Try ArtGallery clothing,I’ve had some nice shirts and knitwear from them over the years.

Swampster

Reaction score
I'm not sure when I first heard 'bovver boys'. When I was about six in the early seventies, boys a couple of years older would complain that the local play area had been occupied by 'skinheads' and I _think_ they may also have called them bovver boys. I should think they were probably just kids who were may not even have been in their teens. I always associated them with baseball boots rather than proper boots, which may be a clue.
https://wordhistories.net/2022/03/10/bovverboy-skinhead/ says bovver boots and bovver boy both crop up in 1969. Interesting that two of the citations are in Midlands* newspapers, though journalists will pick up on words coined elsewhere. It does mean that the phrase had at least been introduced into my local area.
I'd forgotten that Dick Emery's character was called Screwsby the Bovver Boy though I don't know when he appeared or even if the phrase was actually used in the show.
*(The Midlands are, of course, 'oop north' to Londoners and 'darn sarf' to anyone north of about Sheffield. The 'th' sound has long been a bit of an optional extra round my neck of the woods)

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
Got those boots and the soles fell off as soon as i walked in them lol, could the cobbler fix them perhaps? the upper is actually quite nice.
20240212_141446.jpg

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
Cheers fellas, something to consider for the future. I found it quite hilarious when it happened honestly lol, perhaps it was just due to their age, they're only from 1999 though according to the production stamp on the insole, then again that was 25 years ago now, crikey.

Last edited:

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
Did a handsome job, but it was a fiver for a tiny bottle, so a cobbler doing it for a jacks is a bloody bargain (and less hassle)
My uncle is also a cobbler and worked for him for a while until he had to leave for health reasons, so i think i may get family rates, though he has always been reasonable with his prices.

Swampster

Reaction score
We use a product called “Shoe Goo”. Been using it repair DM’s, etc for as as long as I can remember.

View attachment 2130447
I've used it too - well Shoe Goo II.
The sole of my shoes which have long since been relegated to hard labour came adrift at the front. The goo has held after about a year of gardening.
Be careful of seepage. It didn't bother me as I wasn't exactly going to be wearing these for a night on the town, but I think it would be difficult to budge any excess glue.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used it too - well Shoe Goo II.
The sole of my shoes which have long since been relegated to hard labour came adrift at the front. The goo has held after about a year of gardening.
Be careful of seepage. It didn't bother me as I wasn't exactly going to be wearing these for a night on the town, but I think it would be difficult to budge any excess glue.

Absolutely. It tends to migrate a bit, so checking it every couple minutes and wiping the excess off the edges is definitely a good idea. Like you said, though, it does hold up surprisingly well.
Shoe Goo II, Electric Boogaloo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads