• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Had to grab these.

1687031970434.png

Swampster

Reaction score
If your musical tastes go early enough and you are able to go far enough from the centre, there is the Eel Pie museum. No idea how good it is but I am staying near it soon so intend having a look.
A nice little museum. It is in Twickenham, a short walk away from the bridge to the island. https://www.eelpiemuseum.co.uk/ I was glad that I went and a nice place to drop into if you are nearby. A skiffle group was doing some kind of video while I was there - not really my scene but still entertaining. Several local people were there who had frequented the Eel Pie club in its heyday - talked with one.
The music club is a big focus of the museum and there are lots of original posters, records etc., but other aspects of the island are covered too. I was given a tour (and a cuppa) by the woman who runs it - it is obviously a labour of love.
Various books on sale - more music focus than general style of the era. If books of that sort are your thing, an independent bookshop in Richmond just over the river also had various books on the local music scene incl. the Yardbirds.

Last edited:

Inkss

Reaction score
A nice little museum. It is in Twickenham, a short walk away from the bridge to the island. https://www.eelpiemuseum.co.uk/ I was glad that I went and a nice place to drop into if you are nearby. A skiffle group was doing some kind of video while I was there - not really my scene but still entertaining. Several local people were there who had frequented the Eel Pie club in its heyday - talked with one.
The music club is a big focus of the museum and there are lots of original posters, records etc., but other aspects of the island are covered too. I was given a tour (and a cuppa) by the woman who runs it - it is obviously a labour of love.
Various books on sale - more music focus than general style of the era. If books of that sort are your thing, an independent bookshop in Richmond just over the river also had various books on the local music scene incl. the Yardbirds.
Not too far from me. Might give it a go. I used to be in Twickers a bit when the billiard hall was still open. The pub opposite the island on the riverbank near the bridge was quite nice.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many years ago I bought a pair of ten holer doc martens. They’re in the bottom of the cupboard very rarely worn but I suppose I got them ‘just in case’. I was a bit disappointed in the plasticky feel of the leather, comparing it against my memory of the quality of a pair of three holer shoes I had 1978 which I wore every day on the milk round then every day for school throughout an entire year.

Anyway came across this video which first gets into the convoluted history of Doc Martens and Solovair, then a cut-in-half comparison of the two. I know some people on here get a bonk on for all variations of this kind of boot which I have zero interest in an acquiring any but I was interested in the history and comparison. Looks like solovair is the way to go these days …

Swampster

Reaction score
Not too far from me. Might give it a go. I used to be in Twickers a bit when the billiard hall was still open. The pub opposite the island on the riverbank near the bridge was quite nice.
One of the locals was a woman who was dancing energetically and non-stop to the skiffle group. Turned out she was in her late 70s and was a regular at the old club. I bet she was quite a star.

Swampster

Reaction score
The NPS/Solovair factory has an outlet shop which seemed well stocked if anyone is close enough and looking to buy.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Many years ago I bought a pair of ten holer doc martens. They’re in the bottom of the cupboard very rarely worn but I suppose I got them ‘just in case’. I was a bit disappointed in the plasticky feel of the leather, comparing it against my memory of the quality of a pair of three holer shoes I had 1978 which I wore every day on the milk round then every day for school throughout an entire year.

Anyway came across this video which first gets into the convoluted history of Doc Martens and Solovair, then a cut-in-half comparison of the two. I know some people on here get a bonk on for all variations of this kind of boot which I have zero interest in an acquiring any but I was interested in the history and comparison. Looks like solovair is the way to go these days …

Also had at the same time DM shoes and boots, and yes they were in a supple and quality leather. At the time many companies were making the uppers.
Nowadays I find the small MiE DMs collection/line (classic models) to be as good or even better than Solovair. I’ve red somewhere they were produced for DM by the NPS factory, but I don’t know if it’s true. I have shoes from both brands and prefer the MiE DMs. I agree solovair are quality, but very stiff. A mate bought a pair on my recommendation and actually can’t wear them as they are too stiff and hurt his feet. 😅

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he says in the video he’s gonna do a comparison between solovairs and MiE Doc Martens in the future.

It’s a bit disconcerting to see so many corners being cut these days with plastic heel cups, poor leather, thin fiber insoles etc. The race to the bottom in search of ever-more cheaper labour and materials is sooner or later going to reach a point where the reputation of a once great quality and renowned brand is going to be completely ****-upon.

I suppose that’s the world we live in these days and it’s certainly not unique to DMs but it’s no less sad for knowing. I like adidas classic trainers and have several pairs, usually bought for the colour and style, not so much their expected longevity. I have enough that they’re rotated a lot so don’t have to suffer a lot of wear and tear but I admit that e.g. Gazelle OGs are made with wafer thin suede and insoles that I very much doubt that this shoe would have achieved such an iconic reputation if they’d been made so fragile in their original releases.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I think he says in the video he’s gonna do a comparison between solovairs and MiE Doc Martens in the future.

It’s a bit disconcerting to see so many corners being cut these days with plastic heel cups, poor leather, thin fiber insoles etc. The race to the bottom in search of ever-more cheaper labour and materials is sooner or later going to reach a point where the reputation of a once great quality and renowned brand is going to be completely ****-upon.

I suppose that’s the world we live in these days and it’s certainly not unique to DMs but it’s no less sad for knowing. I like adidas classic trainers and have several pairs, usually bought for the colour and style, not so much their expected longevity. I have enough that they’re rotated a lot so don’t have to suffer a lot of wear and tear but I admit that e.g. Gazelle OGs are made with wafer thin suede and insoles that I very much doubt that this shoe would have achieved such an iconic reputation if they’d been made so fragile in their original releases.
This is a sad observation we made in the past. If you want to have the same quality than in the time, you have to buy from the MiE/MiUSA/MiF etc lines and to pay a small fortune. And sometimes the products don’t even have a line still produced in their country of origin : take Levi’s for example. Even LVCs jeans aren’t made in USA now.

Back to DM style shoes, decent ones, all MiE (in my case never with the yellow stitching)

IMG_5623.jpeg

DM 3 eyes/thin sole, Solovair dark navy loafers, Loake smooth.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
472D4D01-65FE-4C75-96CA-28E33AA43FE1.jpeg

47488BF1-0581-4339-8601-9E5CB6341A94.jpeg

Still really digging these 5-eye Loakes I picked up in Glasgow on sale this past January. Very similar, but grippier, sole to DM’s, Solovair, etc.
They come in burgundy, black, and maybe a tan color if I recall.
Comfy as all hell out of the box, decent leather, well-made. I defo recommend these(thpugh I can’t recall the model name).

Last edited:

Gramps

Reaction score
View attachment 1976449
View attachment 1976451

Still really digging these 5-eye Loakes I picked up in Glasgow on sale this past January. Very similar, but grippier, sole to DM’s, Solovair, etc.
They come in burgundy, black, and maybe a tan color if I recall.
Comfy as all hell out of the box, decent leather, well-made. I defo recommend these(thpugh I can’t recall the model name).
Shame you can't remember the model, they look like a great everyday comfortable shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads