• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding Slade, No one was interested in them when we was Skinheads, We never heard of them until the Glam Rock thing appeared.
For some reason they are popular with present day skinheads.

buttons

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Little Queenie
I think more a case of being dressed-up by their manager in a cynical (and misplaced) bid to capture Skinheads as an audience!

Aye, Chas Chandler was no fool when it came to taking money off teenagers. It was clear from the success of reggae 45s in the charts that there was a keen market to tap into (and Ambrose Slade were getting nowhere as a rock / folk band).
Its also quite clear from the pictures that Dave Hill had no interest in the skinhead thing (and not just cos of his premature receeding hair-line).

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Little Queenie
I think more a case of being dressed-up by their manager in a cynical (and misplaced) bid to capture Skinheads as an audience!
They certainly did that night,Little Queenie.But they were nearly "captured"themselves
satisfied.gif

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
They certainly did that night,Little Queenie.But they were nearly "captured"themselves
satisfied.gif

But they did not capture a Skinhead audience, well not down West London thats for sure.

Little Queenie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
But they did not capture a Skinhead audience, well not down West London thats for sure.

Typical of outsiders looking in, thinking they understand something!

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Here's a quote from someone called Hill Rise, taken from another forum:

In 1969, I was 16. I lived in Richmond in Surrey and went to the local Grammar school. From 1967 to 68 people in the area (and throughout London for that matter) were split more or less into 3 camps ... Mod/Skinhead for want of a better term, who were into clothes and scooters , Greasers who were into motorbikes and leather and Hippies.
I happened to be into clothes along with the rest of my mates at school so the Mod/skinhead thing was the way to go. You didn't have to be into fighting or being a yob it was just a fashion thing. We were lucky that we had the 'Ivy Shop' on our doorstep, so naturally when you could afford it, most of the clothes came from there. There were cheaper options but even in those days it was the 'Holy Grail'.
We then went onto the 'Suedehead' era which was the same clothes with slightly longer hair. It wasn't written down anywhere , just a natural progression. Then the French look, which was the next stage. Blokes were still wearing loafers and button downs but with slightly wider trousers and even longer hair.

Originally Posted by Brideshead
What was a typical Saturday come 1971? In 1969 it would have been London for a bit of shopping, pose in the afternoon at the North Bank Highbury, and a few pints in the evening. Or alternatively London shopping, home to get ready and then off to Ilford Palais to spend the evening listening to Motown, Atlantic / Stax.

Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
I saw Desmond Dekker at the Daylight Inn in Petts Wood, Kent. Another venue which didn't have a strict dress code. I think the more you penetrated into the 'leafy suburbs' to a venue the more casual became the attitude of the management.

Borehamwood Became a New Town, in the 50s/60s to accommodate Families From the Slum Clearance of North and North West London, Many would have moved up there in their Teens taking the latest London fashions with them.
Apparently they had a fairly big mob and had a few run ins with the Burt Oak Mob which was only 5 miles away in NW London.

Just thought it might be interesting to address the 'suburban' aspect of the scene...

bunty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
Not read it but would like to own it myself Paul, highly sought after and very expensive though...

Alex, I've seen it go for over a £200! Some lucky bugger found a copy in an Oxfam shop for £2
wow.gif

I'll keep looking in chariddy shops then!

Leave Slade out of this eh? As a kid I always wanted a top hat with mirrors on it like Noddy had
laugh.gif

Funny enough, a few old Skins that I speak to liked soul, rocksteady, reggae etc AND The Beatles, Who, Stones - even though these groups were at their hairiest in the late 60s.

Ambrose Slade (as Skinheads) 'Martha My Dear'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBkw9...yer_detailpage

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunty
Alex, I've seen it go for over a £200! Some lucky bugger found a copy in an Oxfam shop for £2
wow.gif

I'll keep looking in chariddy shops then!

Leave Slade out of this eh? As a kid I always wanted a top hat with mirrors on it like Noddy had
laugh.gif

Funny enough, a few old Skins that I speak to liked soul, rocksteady, reggae etc AND The Beatles, Who, Stones - even though these groups were at their hairiest in the late 60s.

Ambrose Slade (as Skinheads) 'Martha My Dear'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBkw9...yer_detailpage

There was only one Beatles`Track that I liked -"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" by George Harrison-the rest of their outlay I took no notice of.I preferred the Stones."Street Fighting Man" and "Sympathy With The Devil" seemed to capture the times-for me(about `68).

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big hit for Skinheads in 69 was ***** Tonk Woman by the Rolling Stones.. i remember it banging out of the Juke box in the Phoenix Youth Club.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big hit for Skinheads in 69 was ***** Tonk Woman by the Rolling Stones.. i remember it banging out of the Juke box in the Phoenix Youth Club.
Funny how the Skinheads went for theStones.During their Hyde Park Concert,it was the Hippies that were the enemy-not the Stones.

stilts121

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
Not read it but would like to own it myself Paul, highly sought after and very expensive though...

There's a copy in a public library of a city I'll be visiting next month for, ironically, a librarian conference. I'll give it a look through and, at the very least, copy and/or scan those pages pertinent to skinheads.

bunty

Reaction score
You went for the Stones because they were 'orrible!

Boys liked the Stones, girls liked The Beatles (lads liked John though - he could have been a Stone) How many times have I heard that? Is that about right?

Brownie did you go to Hyde Park BTW? wasn't there a few free Hyde Park gigs in the late 60s?

A mate of mine went to the '14 Hour Technicolour Dream' at the Ally Pally in '67 - said the Mods there ran riot and were smashing up 'happenings' etc and that seeing loads of people tripping off their nut unnerved him
laugh.gif

Stilts121 - Thanks, that will be great, hopefully there's some good stuff in there that people haven't seen for ages.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads