• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Gsvs5

Reaction score
No one in my group only wore boots.
Royals, Brogues, loafers, officer boots, dessert boots were all in the mix.
It was a size issue for me and so Monkey boots were the only viable option at the time.I was very happy when the Brummie lads all started wearing Jodpur riding boots as this offered an alternative to me.I Could have been mistaken for a Villa fan fan though !

MonkeySpanner

Reaction score
Jeckyle market crombies - now there's a whole story . Some were so thin they looked like a big shirt - all came in a garish red satin lining .. looked awful

I find the market crombies interesting, mine from the period is good quality with darker liner. Cool advert here mentioning ''skinhead overcoats''

1.jpg

Last edited:

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
I believe the Inspector is sometimes in touch with @cerneabbas - you might try him.

In my group we all liked the look of the matt brown ones but, because of the associations mentioned here, we did not indulge, sadly, looking back.
Did you see many desert boots come 1969 / 70? I recall them being very popular a couple of years earlier.
I have a photo from late 1970 or 71 with me and a mate wearing desert boots. In the photo we both have long hair. In the spring /summer of 1969 we both had 1/2 inch crops. I also wore desert boots mid 60s as a kid trying to copy London mod cousins. Today I have quite a few pairs that I still like to wear. but then I still wear Brogues, loafers etc. My footwear hasn't really changed much in nearly 50 years.

flyfronted

Reaction score
Dont see what the problem is, not off topic and the thread

I find the market crombies interesting, mine from the period is good quality with darker liner. Cool advert here mentioning ''skinhead overcoats''

View attachment 894396
Dont see what the problem is, not off topic and the thread

View attachment 894396

' south sea bubble ' was a great post Suedehead label . Great jumpers that were very popular with london football gangs .

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record, I was 18 when I got a pair of monkey boots. There was no stigma attached to them. They weren't "girls'/kids'/cheap" boots. They were just a fashion item that came and went.

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
For the record, I was 18 when I got a pair of monkey boots. There was no stigma attached to them. They weren't "girls'/kids'/cheap" boots. They were just a fashion item that came and went.

Can you remember where you would have worn your monkey boots at 18 years old? At that age you wouldn't have been hanging about on street corners and most dances had a strick dress code with no boots allowed. We normally dressed up even to go to the pub. Football, bank holidays at Southend and fairgrounds was where we wore our DM's.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The answer is 'around and about'. It might have been 'on street corners' if there was someone to talk to there, though usually we were to be found in the cafe at the bowling alley in Lewisham, or the Wimpy Bar. Anywhere where I could have worn jeans - the pictures, football, the youth club in Bromley, the market, the pie-and-mash shop in Deptford, college. I had a succession of boots over a couple of years but had stopped wearing boots altogether by the summer of 1970. My first were a pair of 'cherry red' work boots, my favourites were a pair of brown commando-style boots, can't remember the brand of either. Basically I wore them to save my decent shoes for times I dressed up a little.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing is, although I was 18, I was pretty immature. My mum's influence had been such that I hadn't had much of a 'teenage' time. I only started stepping out when I was 16 - and that was only down to the local youth club - and when I was 18 I was trying to cram about four teenage years into one. If that makes any sense.

pressuredrop

Reaction score
The thing is, although I was 18, I was pretty immature. My mum's influence had been such that I hadn't had much of a 'teenage' time. I only started stepping out when I was 16 - and that was only down to the local youth club - and when I was 18 I was trying to cram about four teenage years into one. If that makes any sense.

It certainly goes a ways to explaining your current beret fixation. ;)

pressuredrop

Reaction score

I'm taking the piss.

The only people I've ever known who wore berets were artsy ex-Boy Scouts, who had them lying around from childhood and wore them in that clichéd jazzbo-hipster way in high school, or actual soldiers.

In my limited experience of them, an adult actually wanting to have one is strangely fascinating to me.

MonkeySpanner

Reaction score
I don't think anymore is mature at 18, i was getting drunk and pulling pranks and other immature things with my mates.

Nowt wrong with berets either, good northern kit. Looks good with trucker/suit jacket.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never wore a beret. There was a assistant-caretaker at our school, nicknamed 'Pedro', who had a castrato voice and wore a beret, so the idea of wearing a beret was foreign to me/us. I've never owned a beret (correction, I once had a Tam o' Shanter, if that counts), and was only considering getting one in a half-serious way because the doc had advised me to always wear a hat and I was looking for something different.

benj84

Reaction score
I never wore a beret. There was a assistant-caretaker at our school, nicknamed 'Pedro', who had a castrato voice and wore a beret, so the idea of wearing a beret was foreign to me/us. I've never owned a beret (correction, I once had a Tam o' Shanter, if that counts), and was only considering getting one in a half-serious way because the doc had advised me to always wear a hat and I was looking for something different.
Did you like "the tams". Hey girl...., is a tune I hear at NS nights sometimes. Tam hat was there trademark

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads