• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

milk: does a body terrible?

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
rebecca-romijn-got-milk.jpg

^^^^

Milk...drinking it makes you look like a model!

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to Millet in his book Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy, he states that no one really know the best daily calcium target.

America has one of the highest levels of intake of calcium/milk and yet also has the highest rate of hip fractures. There seems to be a link between high calcium intake and weaker bones.

Also, a high intake of milk (more than a serving per day) is related to lactose intolerance, unneeded hormones, a possible increased risk of prostate cancer, and a possible increased risk of ovarian cancer. Milk is also high in saturated fat and provides one with extra calories.

He goes on to say that although milk isn't really bad and there are some small benefits, it's probably a safe bet to not rely on milk very heavily in a diet. In other words, probably not every day.

I assume that the argument for milk being "unnatural" comes from the fact that many people end up not being able to digest it (lactose intolerance).

runner-guy

Reaction score
As a Registered Dietitian, let me shed some light on this subject. First, there is no link between increased calcium intake and increased rates of fractures. Actually, the opposite is true. Milk is one of the best dietary sources of vitamin D, which enhances calcium absorption in the gut and helps maintain calcium balance in the body. It is suggested that Vitamin D may decrease risks of prostate, breast, and colon cancer. Drinking milk will likely decrease the risk of certain types of cancers, not increase the risk. One of the reasons people living in northern latitudes have increased risks of certain cancers is thought to be due to the lack of adequate year-round sunlight, which is the main source of vitamin D. Recent studies have also shown that vitamin D may decrease the risk of heart disease. Finally, milk does not cause lactose intolerance. Lactose intolerance is due to a lack of the enzyme lactase. Lactose intolerance is thought to be related to either genetics or some type of injury to the small intestine.
Originally Posted by Tck13
According to Millet in his book Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy, he states that no one really know the best daily calcium target. America has one of the highest levels of intake of calcium/milk and yet also has the highest rate of hip fractures. There seems to be a link between high calcium intake and weaker bones. Also, a high intake of milk (more than a serving per day) is related to lactose intolerance, unneeded hormones, a possible increased risk of prostate cancer, and a possible increased risk of ovarian cancer. Milk is also high in saturated fat and provides one with extra calories. He goes on to say that although milk isn't really bad and there are some small benefits, it's probably a safe bet to not rely on milk very heavily in a diet. In other words, probably not every day. I assume that the argument for milk being "unnatural" comes from the fact that many people end up not being able to digest it (lactose intolerance).

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13

Originally Posted by runner-guy

Do either of you have sources for your assertions? I'm not asking to be patronizing or sarcastic; I'm genuinely curious. You're making claims that are pretty much directly conflicting, and I can't help but wonder if either of you have hard data.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
America has one of the highest levels of intake of calcium/milk and yet also has the highest rate of hip fractures. There seems to be a link between high calcium intake and weaker bones.
Or perhaps a lack of magnesium inhibiting the absorption of all that calcium.

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Or perhaps a lack of magnesium inhibiting the absorption of all that calcium.

Caffeine also inhibits the absorption of calcium. In fact, most studies will show that our calcium intake in NA is way above what it "needs" to be, but most of it is leeched out.

runner-guy

Reaction score

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
What the woman in the OP states makes logical sense to me. After all, we seem to be the only animals that consume milk from other species.

I lack the scientific background (and the Google patience) to comment on the adverse effects of dairy consumption. But it would seem that a calf's nutritional needs--including the requisite proteins--to triple (or so) its birth weight in a matter of months is met by its mother's dairy production. Compare those needs to a human infant's and its mother's production (and nutritional content) of breast milk.

In either case, both calf and human are weened from mothers' milk in a relatively short time. And the mothers cease milk production. That would lead me to believe that in the natural order of things, milk is unnecessary after infancy. So why continue to consume it (breast milk or cow's milk)?

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KnowYourRights
What the woman in the OP states makes logical sense to me. After all, we seem to be the only animals that consume milk from other species.

facepalm.gif

This arguement is cringe worthy and has already been addressed in this thread. Humans do a lot of things other animals don't and that fact alone doesn't make it bad for us.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KnowYourRights

My cat would disagree. The only reason for that is because we have the means to do it. Pour her a saucer of milk and it's immediately lapped up. Scoop yourself a bowl of ice cream and she climbs all over you trying to eat some of it. That part is not something we've ever encouraged, but she wants her dairy. She also has a bad habit of removing cream and custard from donuts left out overnight.

Milk is milk, there are few differences between cow's milk and human milk. The only real significant ones are the percentage of milkfat, which we modify anyway.

The women's argument only makes sense if you don't have any real background. If there's any real issue, it would be what we feed milk cows- corn based diets have been shown to cause a whole lot of issues in beef consumption, causing virtually all of the health problems we associate with "red meat". Grass fed beef doesn't cause those problems.

Milk is a great nutrient rich source of protein and vitamins, but there's plenty of fat too. Stick to 1% if you're not looking to gain weight. And if you're concerned about health problems, stick to organic.

All that said, it's kind of hilarious that you're believing the word of a women hawking the heath benefits of juice. That's all of the nutritional value of soda without the carbonation, and somehow it's considered healthy. It's not.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i guess milk hides would be camel toes... damn one strike against milk.

Originally Posted by Zenny
rebecca-romijn-got-milk.jpg

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
My cat would disagree. The only reason for that is because we have the means to do it. Pour her a saucer of milk and it's immediately lapped up. Scoop yourself a bowl of ice cream and she climbs all over you trying to eat some of it. That part is not something we've ever encouraged, but she wants her dairy. She also has a bad habit of removing cream and custard from donuts left out overnight.

Milk is milk, there are few differences between cow's milk and human milk. The only real significant ones are the percentage of milkfat, which we modify anyway.

I don't think you're addressing the point here. It seems your argument is one of accessibility. And of domesticated animals in a controlled environment. You could argue your cat's ability as a scavenger.

But I can't seem to remember any episodes on animal planet where a pack lions were documented drinking wildebeast milk. If I'm wrong, please provide the link.

If milk is milk, I'm interested to see a nutritional breakdown of cow milk versus human milk.

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Humans do a lot of things other animals don't and that fact alone doesn't make it bad for us.

It doesn't make it bad for us, nor was it meant for us. I don't see the disconnect?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads