• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Ketawa

Reaction score
The only problem is that Sterlingwear has been the only place I could find something in extra long. I had a 40XL first, but it was too snug. It could be that I just got unlucky with the variance and my 42XL is bigger than usual. So I was going to look at vintage for something cheaper or wait until I could try their MTM program.

Peacoat

Reaction score

Looking for some advice on finding a vintage peacoat. I currently have a size Sterlingwear Authentic in size 42XL. It's kind of boxy-looking. The body is big and the sleeves are huge. I'm 6' 5" and 200 lbs, fairly athletic, hence the vintage route.

My actual measured chest is 43" and the p2p on the Sterlingwear is 23.5". I may have ended up with a large model and I could fit something smaller. Just to accentuate how boxy this thing is, the shoulder-to-shoulder measurement is 20". Vintage coats with this shoulder measurement seem to be around 22-22.5" pit to pit. If I remember correctly I couldn't fit in a 40 because the shoulders were too small.
The sleeves measure 28" from the shoulder seam to the end of the cuff, and they hit about halfway between my wrist and the web of my thumb and index finger. I could go about 0.5" shorter here.
The back length is 35" from the top of the collar when it is folded down to the bottom of the hem. There didn't seem to be a standard convention for taking this measurement. The hem hits around the tip of my thumb. This probably shouldn't be any shorter. I had this hem taken up a couple of inches when I bought it since it was too long.

Is it going to be possible to find a vintage coat with sleeves/body long enough to fit me? I haven't been able to find anything close on eBay or VintageTrends, but I haven't been looking long. If I can't find one, I may just bide my time for a good chance to stop at Sterlingwear in Boston and use the MTM option.

That is a huge size 42. It is sized like a 44. No wonder it is large on you. The size you need for a relatively trim fit is a 42, but with the p2p of 22.5, as you said. This is why I recommend getting the p2p measurement and relying on it. The Authentic should fit much smaller than the one you have, and the p2p should be 22.5, just like the issue models.

To measure length of the coat, it should cover your butt and not much more. Using the tip of the thumb isn't a good test, because that length will be a little different for everyone.

You might find a long size in a 42, but I'm not sure it will accommodate your height. The longs are generally about 2" longer in the torso and about an inch longer in the arms. Your best bet may be to stop in at Boston, once Sandy has moved out and all is calm. That way you can see what sizes will actually fit you. While there you might ask about the Spec coat, which is the actual Navy issue peacoat. See the picture Clarinet Player posted of his. It is a nice coat.

BTW, what is Sterlingwear's MTM program?

Last edited:

Ketawa

Reaction score
That is a huge size 42. It is sized like a 44. No wonder it is large on you. The size you need for a relatively trim fit is a 42, but with the p2p of 22.5, as you said. This is why I recommend getting the p2p measurement and relying on it. The Authentic should fit much smaller than the one you have, and the p2p should be 22.5, just like the issue models.

To measure length of the coat, it should cover your butt and not much more. Using the tip of the thumb isn't a good test, because that length will be a little different for everyone.

You might find a long size in a 42, but I'm not sure it will accommodate your height. The longs are generally about 2" longer in the torso and about an inch longer in the arms. Your best bet may be to stop in at Boston, once Sandy has moved out and all is calm. That way you can see what sizes will actually fit you. While there you might ask about the Spec coat, which is the actual Navy issue peacoat. See the picture Clarinet Player posted of his. It is a nice coat.

BTW, what is Sterlingwear's MTM program?

Thanks for the advice, your article is great. This coat actually is the correct length as you describe. I had to shorten the torso but left the sleeves the same length.

I'm intrigued by the Spec coat, as I am in the military and can purchase directly from the Navy Exchange's web site at a very low price. The Spec coast is listed as 100% Melton Wool. This actually has higher armholes and is generally slimmer than the Authentic, correct? I wonder if the coat available at the Navy Exchange is different from the version available to civilians, maybe it has some kind of insignia. There's only one option for both enlisted and officers.

Here are a few posts from this thread about the Sterlingwear MTM program. MTM might be exaggerating, more like a custom ordering option.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/144305/...l-peacoat-questions-here/3960_30#post_5070764
http://www.styleforum.net/t/144305/...l-peacoat-questions-here/3960_30#post_5080839

Last edited:

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any thoughts on my fit? I can take better pics later

It might be too small. I have a thrifted coat, and while it's not a great fit, it doesn't bulge when I have a sweater on underneath. Maybe take some better pics.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Per request from a couple of PM's , here is the Sterlingwear Mil Spec, again. But, this time, with the bottom button fastened. I'm wearing a sweater underneath.

Compared to the vintage peacoat, this coat is softer and a bit roomier--allowing for the sweater. The vintage peacoat weighs a ton and is snug; a sweater would be too tight. For different reasons, they are both great coats. I prefer the more natural shoulders of the vintage to the current Mil Spec issue.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Reaction score
Any of you thinking of getting a Military Spec need to keep in mind that the coats have become larger over the years. I remember Clarinet Player telling me his Mil Spec in a size 38 measured 21" p2p. That makes it fit like a small size 40 in the vintage models. So, if you have a 38" chest, you might want to consider getting a size 36 in the Mil Spec, but before you do, ask Sterlingwear for a p2p to see how the size 36 is fitted.

[Edit Note: Of course if you size down to a 36, a sweater may not fit underneath.]

Last edited:

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone know how weather resistant is melton wool? what happens if you get caught in rain?

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mintyfresh

Reaction score
Is modifying one's peacoat sleeve a difficult task for a tailor? Would they just take it in at the shoulder?

RLX009

Reaction score
I just got my pea coat from: http://www.armynavysuperstores.com/peacoat.htm

I usually wear a 38S, and got the 38, fits perfectly, chest and sleeve, a bit slim but enough space for a thick sweater and scarf. The color is near black but I guess it's a very dark navy. Made in the US, Melton wool, gov issue, legit. The only other one I was considering was the Schott. Compared to the Gosling pic, the only discernable difference is that the shoulder on mine is more squared, so with arm movement there is a bit of peaking. Nor'easter's comin' up so I'll see how it fares in colder weather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads