1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. WestwardDrift

WestwardDrift Active Member

Very nice. Did you go standard size or made to measure?

I'm still disappointed that TOJ never released the Admiral's Peacoat they teased before beginning the looooong march to closing up shop. They could have sold the coat in standard sizes for two seasons.

2. Josephpark

Josephpark New Member

Looking at a J.Crew Dock Peacoat. Highly interested in it. Anybody have any experiences? Im 5'7 with a 158lb athletically built body. I read that it fits a little bigger, I'm not sure whether to get XS or S. Can anybody help me out? Which size should I get?

3. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

U.S. Navy issue pea coat circa 1955

Needed this on Saturday as it was absolutely freezing in the Big House. At least, we won.
    Wearing underneath an OCBD and a fairly heavy shetland wool sweater.

4. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Glad you got to wear it, and that you guys won.

We had a little over 12" of snow in the mountains Friday night, so peacoat weather is here. The Tennessee mountains are about 2 hours to the east of me, so I wasn't affected by the snow, but it was a cold and windy day here in Middle Tennessee.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  5. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

quick question. coming from a Spiewak Dugan and want something a bit higher quality. if i want to get something new (i know how great the vintage coats are) what are my best bets? Still Sterlingwear and Schott?

(under $300)

6. Rift

Rift Member

Is the Spiewak Dugan warm enough for -20 Celsius/-4 Fahrenheit? And why do you think it's not that quality?

7. pineappleguy16

pineappleguy16 Active Member

Anybody with a similar build as me and own a Buzz Rickson peacoat? I'm 5'6" (170cm), 140lbs (64kg), 35" chest. I'm deciding between a size 34 and 36. Thanks.

8. ChronBong

ChronBong Senior member

does anybody own the charcoal dior peacoat from 2 years ago? man that thing i saw in person...unbelievably awesome looking, smooth mixture of wools/cashmere. was the best peacoat ive seen.

i also like balmain's military peacoat in navy, but i prefer it had silver buttons, not gold.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rift

Rift Member

10. inspireys

inspireys Member

I'm thinking of going ahead and getting a Sterlingwear Authentic Peacoat!

Oxford Gray or Black?! What do y'all think?

Also, is there any point in waiting for a sale? Should I wait till Black Friday?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  11. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

No idea if they go on sale but either Navy or Gray looks killer. Navy is more common but I went with Gray because I have alot of navy clothes already. Good luck

12. vogs

vogs Well-Known Member

I'm currently looking for a Peacoat in navy. I found some nice at Stearlingwear, Gloverall, Montgomery. Can you atm totally recommend one or should I absolutely avoid one of those? The price region should be clear by the manufacturers named above.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  13. mrdashington

mrdashington Member

Quote:The one with the detachable hood and leather elbow patches from Winter 2011/2012? I have never been so close to making an impulse buy ever in my life! Anyone think they'll bring that pea coat back?

14. jstrath406

jstrath406 Senior member

Does anyone have any recommendations for a slightly shorter, slim-fitting peacoat in in the $400 and below price range? J Crew Bayswater is unfortunately very hard to find at this point in time, and I don't like the protruding pocket flaps on the Dock peacoat. It also looks like those tend to have loose, baggy arms from the fit photos I've seen online. I have my eyes on a Burberry one on eBay, but at ~$600 it's probably a no go. Sterlingwear seems to be the concensus for quality but I'm not sure if they have a model with a trim fit. I'm just under 5'10" and about 145lbs for reference.

15. Hiamosey

Hiamosey Senior member

I'm looking at this:

http://epauletnewyork.com/collections/outerwear/products/slim-fit-melton-wool-peacoat

I was hoping someone could weigh in on it too.

16. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Senior member

I've been wearing a cheap Claiborne peacoat from JCP for the last couple of years. It got the job done, but definitely not high quality. I just bought a Sterlingwear military peacoat off eBay. The description said it was an unissued and unworn military peacoat in 40R. The pictures seemed to confirm everything. I ended up getting it for $91, a great deal since the Sterlingwear mil-spec coats are about $350. When it arrived, the descriptions and photos were 100% accurate as far as I can tell. It even still had the stitching on the sleeve where the tag was. It fits great, high armholes, fairly trim fit, fits very similar to my 40R suits and jackets. I am 5'9" and 180 for reference. It works over a sweater or heavy flannel, but wouldn't go over a suit. I uploaded some pics:

Fleece lining around bottom - this was supposedly added because the Melton wool didn't block the wind as well as Kersey from what I've read:

[​IMG]

Size tag:

[​IMG]

Tag with coat info in inside pocket:

[​IMG]

Pocket lining, not really sure what it is, kind of thick cotton like chambray:

[​IMG]

Very dark blue, almost black. The special coloring apparently accounts for much of the higher price of these over the Sterlingwear Authentics (plus 100% wool versus blend):

[​IMG]

17. jstrath406

jstrath406 Senior member

18. Hiamosey

Hiamosey Senior member

Also look at a 32 oz wool blend. I think it's $275 for that one versus $360 for the 21 oz.

Both look great though.

19. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Could you post measurements? I've been thinking about one of these, really curious about the fit (because sterlingwear's pictures, well, do not inspire confidence)

20. LukeRoz

LukeRoz Member

I just purchased this Fidelity pea coat yesterday at a local surplus store. It's a 40R and the pictures below are with a light merino sweater underneath. Any comments/suggestions on the fit?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]