1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. LukeRoz

LukeRoz Member

Just a quick bump to my post right above...im going back to the surplus store today and wanted to get some opinion on the fit of this jacket....

2. LukeRoz

LukeRoz Member

no suggestions on fit? Really want to make sure before i go back to the surplus store today....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. Hawel

Hawel Member

It fits great, no worries. I would not take it back, if you like it, keep it. My opinion.
    I´ve got the same one in black, only that mine is a 42, which is a tad more spacey on the fit side, but that was intended as I need to fit some warmer stuff underneath, like a Tellason Jean Jacket or a suit jacket.
    I have the feeling that the Fidelity things are really well made - plus I think the closing on the throat really works like it should, in my opinion. Many others make you feel like your strangulating yourself when closing the upper button. Fidelity doesn´t.

4. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Senior member

Sure, what measurements do you want?

5. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

chest, shoulders, waist, that sort of thing

does it fit slimmer / better than the standard sterlingwear coats? or at they cut the same?

when I see advice from sterlingwear that they fit slim and then see the pictures on their website, I honestly don't have the slightest clue what to think

6. jstrath406

jstrath406 Senior member

Does anyone know if there are any major differences between this:

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/wool-blend-slim-fitted-peacoat.htm?color=1&catID=9

and this?

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/24-oz-slim-fit-fashion.htm?color=14&catID=9

I understand the second one is labeled as the "fashion peacoat," but besides the interior lining, are there any differences? It looks as though both are 31", a wool blend, and slim fit. As long as the fit is the same I don't see why I shouldn't opt for the $75 cheaper one.

7. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Senior member

I've never tried any other Sterlingwear, so I can't compare. Someone earlier in the thread said they were told they use the same pattern. Others say the armholes are higher on the milspec. I'm not sure if I would consider it slim, but it fits similarly to my suit coats after my tailor takes in the waist for me. Definitely not real boxy or baggy either though.

Here's what I get on a 40R, all taken with it buttoned and laying flat

Pit-To-Pit: 21.25"
    Shoulder Seam to Shoulder Seam at Top: 19"
    Waist: Same as P2P
    Sleeve Length from Seam: 25"
    Length from Base of Collar Down Back: 31"

I've never measured a coat before, but think I did it correctly.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  8. Rift

Rift Member

Is this worth getting if the shipping alone costs $50 since I live in Canada?

9. divot

divot Active Member

I posted this in the quick questions thread, but someone suggested I post it here instead.

Tailoring question:

J.Crew's dock pea coat fits me really well, but I don't like how it flares out so much around the hips (not me in the photo). Is that something a tailor would be able to slim down, or would it be tricky because of the vent in back?

Here are some actual coat measurements as provided from J.Crew:

Chest Circumference 1" Below Armhole: 41.5"
    Waist Circumference: 39.75"
    Sweep Circumference Measured Straight: 43.75"

As you can see, the flare at the bottom is pretty significant, and I'm having a hard time visualizing how it could be made smaller.

10. vogs

vogs Well-Known Member

Does anyone have experiences with letting the sleeves out on the Sterlingwear Authentic? Does that work?

11. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Yes. Will cost about $45 depending on where you are located.

12. Hiamosey

Hiamosey Senior member

Did you ever get an answer? I'm interested in both as well.

13. jstrath406

jstrath406 Senior member

I did not, but I went ahead and ordered the "fashion peacoat." The only difference I saw was the leather on the pockets and behind the neck (which is visible when the collar is up) on the cheaper one- which I personally do not like.

14. nathanl

nathanl Senior member

I ordered the Schott fashion peacoat (751) and am not impressed. Wool shell is thin and rough feeling, not particularly soft, and the lining, especially in the pockets, feels really poly/plasticky cheap. The pockets are truly awful and I'd still feel that way if I hadn't ever experienced the wonder of corduroy pockets.

15. vogs

vogs Well-Known Member

I got my Sterlingwear Authentic. What do you think of the fit? I think it's quite good. Only the sleeves could probably be a bit longer. What do you think of the overall length?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know that it looks a bit "wide opened" at the bottom. I checked that in the mirror again and I wasn't able to see that. Probably a bad pose at the pictures.

16. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

I think the overall length is fine as is the torso fit. As you noted, the sleeves are a bit shorter than I would like, but still doable. There is probably enough material at the cuff for a seamstress to let it out a bit if it is going to bother you.

17. divot

divot Active Member

What's a good price for a WWII pea coat that has been in storage for 60+ years and is essentially perfect? I know part of it is "whatever you are willing to pay," but I'm curious what you guys think the appropriate market value is in 2014.

18. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Not really sure a "market value" can be assigned to an item such as that. Depends on how badly you want it. I would say $250 to $500 would be a fair price.

I had two WWII coats a few years ago. One wasn't in perfect shape, but it was in pretty good condition, all things considered. A friend of mine had been looking for a WWII coat for over a year without success. He wears the same size as I do. I gave it to him. Now he has one and I have one (WWII coat, that is).

19. Spazz

Spazz Active Member

So... best FW14 peacoats?

20. spgr

spgr New Member