• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Vaio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by armaja71
I am looking for a peacoat that is in the attached picture...or something similar. I am 6'4" and wear a 44XL jacket normally. Ive been looking for a peacoat with a similar collar to the one in the picture.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

not sure if that's a peacoat. from what i see it has only one row of buttons, and peacoats are typically double breasted....

masterllama

Reaction score
well i tried to purchase a sterlingwear coat and they sent me the wrong size.

the service has been terrible. after repeated phone calls, they refuse to deal with the issue. they keep telling me that "i'll get a call back" as the person handling returns is in a meeting or busy.

firstly, this is not a return, i am not trying to "return" the item because i am dissatisfied with it. they sent me the wrong ******* size. it was an error on their part that should be corrected as soon as possible.

i'm at a loss of what to do. my phone calls to the company are futile, they keep telling me i'll get a call back and i never do. really how hard is it to send me a shipping label so i can send the item back, you don't need a special customer returns person to handle this issue and it certainly shouldn't take this long to correct their mistake.

not to mention the fit of the coat is poor even AFTER sizing down one.

overall, i'm really disappointed with sterlingwear and won't be purchasing anything from them again.

mcfmcf

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I wear a 36S in suiting and pretty much buy the smallest size any brand carries. Would anyone have any suggestions for a peacoat in the $150 range? Brands, etc.

Thanks so much!

unmodern

Reaction score
Hi dudes, I just went through the process of researching and ordering a P-coat, and thought I'd record what I've learned in case others find themselves in my position. First off, thanks to the advice on SF I ordered a 100% wool, Made in USA P-coat from sterlingwear.com (Navigator model, black), that fit very well right out of the box.

Random notes on the coat:

(1) Holy ****, it's heavy and thick. My old peacoat was a China-made, wool/poly/viscose Kenneth Cole NY. I think my parents splurged and bought it for me on sale for ca. $125. I can already tell Sterlingwear mops the floor with that one, in terms of weight and warmth (not to mention overally quality of construction). Over a heavy sweater and a shirt, the Kenneth Cole was sufficient for Connecticut winters; this one will be more than sufficient---I may be able to wear it over just a BD shirt, or a shirt and a light sweater.

(2) It does fit slim. I did not size down (35" or 35.5" chest, I ordered a 36S). Had I sized down to 34S I doubt I would have been able to button it up, or wear it with more than a Tshirt; that size also would have been too short (but 34R would have been too long). It is cut very boxy (lots of shoulder padding, and I think the waist actually measures MORE than the chest), but I personally don't mind this---this is what a winter coat should look like.

(3) I found its length to be generally commensurate with sportcoats in a similar size. I was worried about this because the lengths listed on sterlingwear.com are super long, but they must be counting the collar. This drapes to the perfect length for me, making it around 29" or 29.5" BOC to hem. Sleeve is great (I'm 32.5" sleeve on shirts).

(4) Something for small guys to consider: the collar is so huge that it partially covers the top right button, making it impossible to button without buckling the collar. I may end up moving all through buttons over an inch or so, both in order to avoid this and to make it fit a tad tighter in the waist. But it might bug me more to have the buttons a little off of center between the pockets.

(5) It shipped very quickly (I hear sometimes the other colors can be on backorder).

(6) The shoulders are pretty wide for the size (it's hard to measure because it's so damn thick, but I make it 18" for a 36S). The shoulder padding, on this model at least, is INTENSE. Again, I don't mind personally cause that's actually an authentic detail in the military cut, but I already have a built upper body in comparison to my waist and I could do without more accentuation of that.

(7) The buttons are strong and sewn on very tightly.

(8) It could drop well below zero, and I bet this jacket would still keep me super warm!

unmodern

Reaction score
mcfmcf, just saw your post. I highly recommend one of the Sterlingwear peacoats. You might do 36S (it has a 19" p2p) or you could even get away with a 34S (ca. 18" p2p), depending on your chest measurement. It's between $120-$150, made in USA, high wool content, and incredibly warm.

Ren

Reaction score
Picked this up from a Banana Republic Factory store that was having an opening special for about $100 cdn, about 90 USD.

vadykk

Reaction score
Could u please help me with sizing the Sterlingwear (authentic) peacoat please ? my height is 189 cm (6.2 feet), chest 35 inches, body 23.6, waist 31.8. i want the slim fit. waitin for your support

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ren
Picked this up from a Banana Republic Factory store that was having an opening special for about $100 cdn, about 90 USD.

Hey I know you!

Looks good have it taken in at the waist slightly for a slimmer fit.

Jay687

Reaction score
Is it possible to make a peacoat larger (chest) by moving the buttons?

I'm wondering what to do:

I have 36 Sterlingwear Authentic Peacoat that fits well around my chest, but is too big for my shoulders, even with layering. I think the 34, which I have read has roughly 17" shoulders, would be must better.

However, I have a 38" chest and definitely think they 34 will be too tight in the body. Especially considering I want to layer underneath it.

The shoulders on the 36 aren't crazy big. My shoulders are in fact 17", and considering layering doesn't add THAT much to the measurement, the 18" still leaves a good .5" on each side. I think that the very structured nature of the shoulders adds to the effect... plays a big part really, since I measure to the shoulder seam, and the padded part adds additional width.

So, should I stick with the 36? (maybe I'll get pics up) Since 2" tighter on the chest would be too tight (38-39" chest)... but that's why I was considering moving buttons. But does moving the buttons throw off the balance of it or something? And how much can one move them over before looking weird? I am doubting an entire 2"...

Lastly... I guess the real culprit is less the shoulder size and more the structured/padded nature of them. I wonder if it's possible to fix this? But probably not worth the trouble?

What to do... what to do...

maritimetimetime

Reaction score
I'm about 5'6" and have a 34" chest, i was wondering if i should go for the 32S or the 32R for the sterlingwear authentic

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ren

Let us see how it is after the alternations.

I wanna see the difference in fit after the waist suppression if it changes much.

Melo

Reaction score
Was looking at the Schott slim fit peacoats and noticed the khaki color. Has anyone seen one of these in person? I'm looking for a camel color but from the stock pics I'm not really sure.

untitled2.bmp

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Melo
Was looking at the Schott slim fit peacoats and noticed the khaki color. Has anyone seen one of these in person? I'm looking for a camel color but from the stock pics I'm not really sure.
Warning about the Schott, the wool's really scratchy and sheds like crazy. Gets all over your clothes, furniture, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads