• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Melo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
Warning about the Schott, the wool's really scratchy and sheds like crazy. Gets all over your clothes, furniture, etc.

Really? First I've heard of this. Did you have this experience with a particular model?

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Melo
Really? First I've heard of this. Did you have this experience with a particular model?
Yes, with the Schott slim fit you posted. Mine sheds all over everything, if you wear a white shirt underneath remember to carry a lint brush or a roll of tape. The worst is when the fibers fall in between your shirt and back. I shook it out a few times and went at it with a roll of tape but the problem's still there. I emailed them about it and they said it was normal.
confused.gif
Might be an isolated issue, but I doubt it judging by their response.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sucks, thanks for the tip. Any idea if the 740N is the same way?
I tried on the 740N a few times but to be honest I didn't pay attention to the shedding at the time. I did notice that the wool felt slightly different. I remember reading on the Schott forums that the DU models use a different wool than the regular ones, so the 740N may not have this problem. If I get a chance I'll check it out again and let you know.

Melo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
I tried on the 740N a few times but to be honest I didn't pay attention to the shedding at the time. I did notice that the wool felt slightly different. I remember reading on the Schott forums that the DU models use a different wool than the regular ones, so the 740N may not have this problem. If I get a chance I'll check it out again and let you know.

Yeah, I've heard that too. Also the 740s are made in USA whereas the slims are made in Canada. I'm not one to usually care about that (at this price point, anyway) but maybe there is a quality difference.

Know if its possible to get a slim fit with the 740 by sizing down, a la sterlingwear?

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about getting the Sterling Navigator. Apparently there isn't really a consensus on sizing. Some people say they sized down one and could have even went down a second size, while others are saying they should have sized up. I'm looking for a more modern fit, and these look too boxy for what I'm looking for, as well. Could anyone that has one of these please comment on this? Is it really boxy looking, even if you size down? The photos on their site don't do the coat justice, regardless. I'll post my measurements later tonight and maybe I can finally get this figured out. I'm also really thinking about getting that Indochino, it looks really nice. Not huge fan of the belt on the back but it's not terrible.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To help with sizing:

I bought the Sterlingwear classic. I am 5'10" with a 38 inch chest and bought the 36L and it fits perfectly. It fits slim and there's enough room for me to put a sweater on underneath.

shckr446

Reaction score
not a peacoat but does anyone have experience with the m77 or m79? Might be a silly question but does the m79 have outside pockets? It doesnt say anything and the picture is hard to tell by. How long is the m77?

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard that too. Also the 740s are made in USA whereas the slims are made in Canada. I'm not one to usually care about that (at this price point, anyway) but maybe there is a quality difference.

Know if its possible to get a slim fit with the 740 by sizing down, a la sterlingwear?

Hrmm, I can't remember. But Schott customer service (Gail) is really good with providing measurements, email her and she'll give you a full chart.

Nogo

Reaction score
So my friend (in the Navy) bought me a non-civilian peacoat and had it shipped to me but he got the size wrong and ordered a 40R.

The problem is, I'm 5'7" and 37 chest but I don't know what size to exchange it for. I want a slim fit but have enough room for some layering if I want. Should I get a 38 or 36 and a short or regular?

I hate my awkward height and chest size as nothing seems to fit properly haha. Oh it's a Sterlingwear btw since they're the manufacturer of the US Navy so I don't know if it's any different than the civilian ones they sell.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nogo
So my friend (in the Navy) bought me a non-civilian peacoat and had it shipped to me but he got the size wrong and ordered a 40R.

The problem is, I'm 5'7" and 37 chest but I don't know what size to exchange it for. I want a slim fit but have enough room for some layering if I want. Should I get a 38 or 36 and a short or regular?

I hate my awkward height and chest size as nothing seems to fit properly haha. Oh it's a Sterlingwear btw since they're the manufacturer of the US Navy so I don't know if it's any different than the civilian ones they sell.

can you post fit pics of this?

I'm a 39" chest (usually fit a 38R) and 18" shoulders.

Not sure if I should go 38, or size down to 36 or size up to 40 ?

Nogo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn
can you post fit pics of this?

I'm a 39" chest (usually fit a 38R) and 18" shoulders.

Not sure if I should go 38, or size down to 36 or size up to 40 ?

Haha it looks ridiculous on me but let me take a quick picture to show you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads