• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or find some older RLPL chino on eBay (all the RLPL chino I have seen are dress chino and no elastin at least on the older ones). Dry clean only though if that bothers you

emptym

Reaction score
I have a couple Monitaly chinos from NMWA that put others I've had to shame.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Private White released this really cool looking Offshore jacket yesterday in ventile cotton:

1632390485289.png

1632390502318.png

1632390522022.png

I am very very close to pulling the trigger on it but I wanted to get your advice and general impressions first.

It's quite pricey but it looks very functional, tons of features + the water resistance is a big plus here in rainy UK. Removable hood, lots of pockets, nice materials. A drawback I see though is that it might not be as warm given there is only mesh lining inside.

I think aesthetically speaking it looks fairly smart and can lend itself well to wear with a smarter pair of trousers + some boots, alongside more casual stuff. I'm not sure if I'm not just telling myself that though in order to buy it - any more grounded thoughts on the versatility of such a piece are very welcome.

What do you guys think? I can't seem to be able to decide either way...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Private White released this really cool looking Offshore jacket yesterday in ventile cotton:

View attachment 1673727
View attachment 1673728
View attachment 1673729

I am very very close to pulling the trigger on it but I wanted to get your advice and general impressions first.

It's quite pricey but it looks very functional, tons of features + the water resistance is a big plus here in rainy UK. Removable hood, lots of pockets, nice materials. A drawback I see though is that it might not be as warm given there is only mesh lining inside.

I think aesthetically speaking it looks fairly smart and can lend itself well to wear with a smarter pair of trousers + some boots, alongside more casual stuff. I'm not sure if I'm not just telling myself that though in order to buy it - any more grounded thoughts on the versatility of such a piece are very welcome.

I saw that last night when checking out their website. Very nice coat. Looks ideal for wet climates that are not too cold. Perfect over a sweater as pictured.

I have two Private White items, a green linen field jacket and a wool "shacket." I'm a 42L/52L and their Size 5 fits true to size for me. I'm still on the fence about the Bridge Coat but fear wifey will murder me if I add more outerwear to the closet

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty good (and has a hood!), for something water proof I always prefer synthetic outer shell though…
I think the cotton fabric is treated to the point that it's virtually synthetic. I have an Isaia rain coat in their treated wool and I first thought it was rubberized.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1673727
View attachment 1673728
View attachment 1673729

I think I’d still prefer a Barbour.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty good (and has a hood!), for something water proof I always prefer synthetic outer shell though…
That's what I thought... My wallet will suffer.

I saw that last night when checking out their website. Very nice coat. Looks ideal for wet climates that are not too cold. Perfect over a sweater as pictured.

I have two Private White items, a green linen filed jacket and a wool "shacket." I'm a 42L/52L and their Size 5 fits true to size for me. I'm still on the fence about the Bridge Coat but fear wifey will murder me if I add more outerwear to the closet
Thank you! I have the PS Bridge Coat - I can't recommend it highly enough - probably my most treasured outerwear item.

I think I’d still prefer a Barbour.
A bit too country for me. There's a nice PS version though - again with Private White - called the Wax Walker.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the cotton fabric is treated to the point that it's virtually synthetic. I have an Isaia rain coat in their treated wool and I first thought it was rubberized.

so what would be the care instructions? Wipe down only?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought... My wallet will suffer.

Thank you! I have the PS Bridge Coat - I can't recommend it highly enough - probably my most treasured outerwear item.
Yeah, I like Barbour but this PS coat looks better suited to wet and windy Northern climates. Maybe no accident they got the Swedish guy to model it? Barbour jackets seem ideal for light rain but not serious inclement weather.

How does the Bridge coat fit? Their website recommends sizing up.

EDIT: Barbour, of course, makes many different models, was thinking of their standard wax jacket in comparison to the this one.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads