• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Chelsea 11. A little more rugged casual with lug soles.

Lug soles are unfortunately pretty uncomfortable to me.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still haven't figured out what kind of black footwear to buy.

In my head, black suede chelseas would cover the most breadth in terms of aesthetics (from workwear, to casual suits), but these are kind of hard to find. Even here, Chelseas may be too sleek overall for workwear fits.

Black calf chelseas and black blundstones seem like they would cover more breadth. To my eye though, black chelseas are a bit too smart for how I usually dress.

Here's a random assortment of things I wear: Safari/Field jackets, denim jackets, shawl cardigans, balmacaans, polo coats, various chinos, jeans, denim shirts, OCBDs. Occasional casual suit or sports coat.

why not Alden black shell PTB, should jive with workwear, casual suit maybe depends

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
another possibility, black chelsea in grain, I'm sure you could get a EB make up from that.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like them either, mostly for aesthetics. Chelsea V in rough suede?
I just saw that one and I think it may be exactly what I'm looking for.
why not Alden black shell PTB, should jive with workwear, casual suit maybe depends
I was looking at AE's Leeds, which is also a PTB and fits me well, but to my eye it looks neither here or there.

After looking up the Alden PTB, this changed my mind and I do think a chunky black PTB may be the ticket as well.
IMG_2625_720x.JPG

another possibility, black chelsea in grain, I'm sure you could get a EB make up from that.
I thought about the European makers, but a lot of their return policies don't seem great. My feet can be a difficult fit.

Thanks to you and smitty for the ideas though, seems like I'm on the right track.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good arguments against black side zip and chelseas I think.

It sounds like black blundstones and/or AE Leeds in black may serve my purposes better.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not black, GS mimic the Alden aesthetic pretty well

rough out

and boots (definitely more hassle though), black CXL

non Alden/AE PTB, natural edge (anything denim should work)

GS's chelsea is not super sleek, but if you're truly looking for chunky this might be a bit too sleek

edit: I know you ruled out European but Tricker got to be accessible in Asia somewhere, they definitely chunky black PTB as well (though might be same as Church using that bookbinder stuff, would also recommend Church for black PTB because easy to find if not for the recent significant price increase)

edit2: absolute random suggestion (as in I personally have no idea how it would turn out but maybe someone can try for fun), how about black cowboy boots...?

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not black, GS mimic the Alden aesthetic pretty well

rough out

and boots (definitely more hassle though), black CXL

non Alden/AE PTB, natural edge (anything denim should work)

GS's chelsea is not super sleek, but if you're truly looking for chunky this might be a bit too sleek

edit: I know you ruled out European but Tricker got to be accessible in Asia somewhere, they definitely chunky black PTB as well (though might be same as Church using that bookbinder stuff, would also recommend Church for black PTB because easy to find if not for the recent significant price increase)

edit2: absolute random suggestion (as in I personally have no idea how it would turn out but maybe someone can try for fun), how about black cowboy boots...?
Appreciate the large selection of recommendations. I think the natural sole rules out being worn with tailoring IMO, I prefer the earlier suggestions. Other boots I find I just don't end up wearing. Chelseas are great for lazy people.

Yeah I've thought about black cowboy boots. I know they're trending lately, but I just read them as chelsea boots in terms of sleekness, the shaft won't be seen.
Have you considered the Loake Chatsworth Chelsea boots ?

ac146ecb-3427-4d01-adc8-4ac4716b27c2-jpeg.1665486
Yep. Loake is horrible for shipping restrictions to Canada.

I did mention I'd rather not buy European due to returns, but Herring Shoes is the exception. They consistently offer great return services for me, better than any domestic one I've found.

Couldn't find black suede chelseas on their website.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads