• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
those are cool story, though the only thing I remember about Chipp was
1. it had cheap basic tie
2. it had relative cheap handsewn button hole
2a. I was not impressed with those handsewn button hole...

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know Paul is advertising his ties in that thread, but I found the menswear stories far more interesting.

"When I joined my father at Chipp in 1960, we had three shirt suppliers - Gant, Troy Guild and Creighton.

They each offered a button shirt - their version of replicating the Brooks "roll".

Each company had purchased a Brooks oxford button down shirt.

They took it apart and traced each part. They put the parts together and voila - the "roll" was not the same.

I asked Marty and Elliot Gant, Bill Archer and Don Donovan at Troy, and Larry Kamisher at Creighton
why the "roll" was not on the mark.

No one had an answer.
"

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember buying navy grenadine tie from Chipp because they were the cheapest, definitely was a workhorse until I manage to destroy it...

edit: and still reading, they're good stories

Last edited:

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
What socks brands are people using? I’m looking for good options online.

I normally go for Sozzi for more formal socks. I really like Rototo for more casual stuff.
Kirby Allison socks.
amazing
Next level comfort and fit

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
You can't put them in the dryer though....that's an automatic pass for me. I can stomach line drying some things, but socks aren't in that category.

Why?

I find I tend to take better care of them when I don’t use the dryer. Usually wear 4 pairs of socks per week (one day a week I tend not to wear a suit). Wash them and take them out and put them on a small dryingrack in the guest room. Works great.

I don’t have dry cleaners access where I live so I have to hand launder my shirts too. Usually wash them with the socks (so 4 pairs of socks and 4 shirts) and hang them as well. Iron the shirts later in the evening or the next day.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why?

I find I tend to take better care of them when I don’t use the dryer. Usually wear 4 pairs of socks per week (one day a week I tend not to wear a suit). Wash them and take them out and put them on a small dryingrack in the guest room. Works great.

I don’t have dry cleaners access where I live so I have to hand launder my shirts too. Usually wash them with the socks (so 4 pairs of socks and 4 shirts) and hang them as well. Iron the shirts later in the evening or the next day.

Why? Because I just don't find it a valuable use of my time to lay all of my socks out. Especially because I can buy perfectly acceptable cheap socks (I buy from amazon, something like 6 pair for $20) that are comfortable and I can just wash and dry without even thinking about it. I guess if I only had 4 pair of socks I might feel differently. But I typically wash, idk, 20 pair at a time.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember buying navy grenadine tie from Chipp because they were the cheapest, definitely was a workhorse until I manage to destroy it...

edit: and still reading, they're good stories
I had a few of their grenadines as well but I could never get knots out of them. Traded up for Shibumi Firenze grenadines and love them.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't put them in the dryer though....that's an automatic pass for me. I can stomach line drying some things, but socks aren't in that category.

I don’t think any of the socks we've discussed are recommended to go in the dryer, YMMV.

Kirby Allison socks.
amazing
Next level comfort and fit

Hanger Project is a resller of Palatino socks, very high quality, but pricey.

Ben Silver and Mes Chaussettes Rouges also have very nice (albeit also pricier than Pedemeia) socks

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can't imagine putting wool socks in the dryer, but if you do, it will probably not be good for the fibers, regardless of the maker.

I wear Bresciani, Marcoliani, and Dapper Classics for wool over-the-calf dress socks. Sozzi and Mes Chaussettes are also good makers. For casual socks, I wear American Trench, Wig Wam, and Anonymous Ism. I've been wanting to try Rototo and Thunders Love, but don't have any.

Regarding Paul, he's full of amazing stories. I interviewed him last year and have been meaning to write a post, but am behind on work.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't imagine putting wool socks in the dryer, but if you do, it will probably not be good for the fibers, regardless of the maker.

I wear Bresciani, Marcoliani, and Dapper Classics for wool over-the-calf dress socks. Sozzi and Mes Chaussettes are also good makers. For casual socks, I wear American Trench, Wig Wam, and Anonymous Ism. I've been wanting to try Rototo and Thunders Love, but don't have any.

Not dress socks, but I have put darn tough merino wool socks in the dryer for over a decade without issue. I'm sure I have pairs with close to 100 washes/dries (probably more) that are still going strong.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not dress socks, but I have put darn tough merino wool socks in the dryer for over a decade without issue. I'm sure I have pairs with close to 100 washes/dries (probably more) that are still going strong.

I assumed we were talking about finely knitted dress socks.

Gold Toes can probably be put through the dryer, but I found them uncomfortable.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Regarding Paul, he's full of amazing stories. I interviewed him last year and have been meaning to write a post, but am behind on work.

definitely want to read that

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Why? Because I just don't find it a valuable use of my time to lay all of my socks out. Especially because I can buy perfectly acceptable cheap socks (I buy from amazon, something like 6 pair for $20) that are comfortable and I can just wash and dry without even thinking about it. I guess if I only had 4 pair of socks I might feel differently. But I typically wash, idk, 20 pair at a time.

oh wow. Noooooooo. Good thing you found this thread.

1. Those Amazon cheap socks blow. They have synthetic fibers used as fillers (like nylon). Trust me bro. No good. The natural fiber socks breath so much easier.They aren’t even close to comparable.

2. I used to do the bulk wash. I still do for my golf/athletic socks. It think about it: 20 pairs of socks at once: what are you only doing laundry once a month?? Like I said, I used to be in that category. I was just like you! But I have seen the light. Once a week, usually a Sunday morning or whatever, I just throw them in the machine on delicate cycle. An hour later I grab them and lay them out on the rack. It literally takes less time than brushing your teeth in the morning.

look, you wear socks every day. And it’s not like a tie or pocket square that is mainly aesthetic and superficial. These are an item of clothes that actually touch your body and comfort is beneficial.
I was a doubter too. Then I made the plunge. Best sartorial move I have ever made.
I would recommend:
Purchase 6 pairs of Kirby socks (buy 6 get 20% off, so it’s buy 5 get one free). At $35 per pair and you are looking at under $200 even after shipping. Maintain them by washing once a week and hang drying. I guarantee you will appreciate the effort. If a year goes buy and you don’t think they were worth the $13 per month you paid, hit my up and I will offer a sincere apology.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put my darn tough no show socks in dryer and I think after like 10 wash/dry, a hole developed on bottom. This was on multiple pairs.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I assumed we were talking about finely knitted dress socks.

Gold Toes can probably be put through the dryer, but I found them uncomfortable.

gold ties are the worst. Oh man. So uncomfortable. Don’t breath at all. My grandmother sends me a pack of them every year. I don’t have the heart to tell her to stop. I don’t even take them out of the package, just toss them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads