• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MC General Chat

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are 2 of the best stories.

Possibly Mobster

"An older man walked into the shop accompanied by two beautiful girls who he said were his "nieces" and a pug nosed man who looked like he had spent time in the ring as a middleweight .

The man was from Florida. He said a friend had told him about our quality and he wanted to order a custom tailored suit.

He placed an order.

After the man left, my father said he was "very uncomfortable" with the new customer. He thought it was very likely that the man was "mob" connected.

When the suit was ready for the first fitting, the man traveled up from Florida accompanied by the same middleweight and two different " nieces". ( Beauty and "to die for figures" were apparently part of his families genetic make up.)

After the fitting. he said he would be back in town in a few weeks.

When he returned four weeks later for the final fitting - of course with the middleweight and two new "nieces" - he was very pleased . He said he would be returning in in a month and place additional orders.

About 20 minutes after he left we received a phone call.

We were told MR......... had left something in the changing area.

What we found was a very big roll of $100 bills.

Dad said we were lucky no one went into the changing area after he left.

Dad said if we had not found the money we would have had two options- Replace the $ or direct fish traffic in the Hudson "

Cary Grant

"
In all our years in the business - Chipp was born in 1945 - we only had one court experience.

A new older customer and his wife climbed the stairs at 14 E 44th St - this was before we moved to the ground floor.

She told my father that they were ordering a custom tailored suit and that she wanted her husband to look like Cary Grant. My dad thought this was an effort at humor ; her husband was 5' 5" and weighted 210 pounds.

The fittings, alterations and adjustments went on for months.

She accompanied him to each fitting. She would sit about 3 feet behind the tailor and give a constant stream of instructions to her husband - "stand straight, your leaning to the left ( sometime to the right),balance your shoulders..............

With each change in posture the jacket would shift.

Her caustic nature got to my father as no other customer ever had.

He told me we were going to give it one more try; but since he expected it to fail he had my uncle, who was an attorney, stand bye with the "service notice".

What he thought would come to pass came to pass.

He asked the customer to step a few feet to the side. He told him there was no way to please his wife because she was "a clothing maven ". ( In the trade a maven is either an expert or some one who thinks they are an expert.)

She heard what my dad said.

She loudly said," I am not a maven. I am an Episcopalian."

The legal procedure was before a judge with no jury.

The man put the suit on. The judge looked at him and said," the suit fits."

Dad left the court house with a check
. "

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh wow. Noooooooo. Good thing you found this thread.

1. Those Amazon cheap socks blow. They have synthetic fibers used as fillers (like nylon). Trust me bro. No good. The natural fiber socks breath so much easier.They aren’t even close to comparable.

2. I used to do the bulk wash. I still do for my golf/athletic socks. It think about it: 20 pairs of socks at once: what are you only doing laundry once a month?? Like I said, I used to be in that category. I was just like you! But I have seen the light. Once a week, usually a Sunday morning or whatever, I just throw them in the machine on delicate cycle. An hour later I grab them and lay them out on the rack. It literally takes less time than brushing your teeth in the morning.

look, you wear socks every day. And it’s not like a tie or pocket square that is mainly aesthetic and superficial. These are an item of clothes that actually touch your body and comfort is beneficial.
I was a doubter too. Then I made the plunge. Best sartorial move I have ever made.
I would recommend:
Purchase 6 pairs of Kirby socks (buy 6 get 20% off, so it’s buy 5 get one free). At $35 per pair and you are looking at under $200 even after shipping. Maintain them by washing once a week and hang drying. I guarantee you will appreciate the effort. If a year goes buy and you don’t think they were worth the $13 per month you paid, hit my up and I will offer a sincere apology.
I wear cotton blend socks...never had a problem with them being uncomfortable or not breathable. I have no complaints about them and feel no reason to spend a lot of money on socks. I've worn nice socks too (cashmere, nice fine wool dress socks, etc.) and don't find them any more comfortable that my cheapo amazon socks. Lots of things I'd rather spend money on.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darn Tough socks can be put in the drier, but that's because they generally are blended with synthetics as well. Great socks though.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh wow. Noooooooo. Good thing you found this thread.

1. Those Amazon cheap socks blow. They have synthetic fibers used as fillers (like nylon). Trust me bro. No good. The natural fiber socks breath so much easier.They aren’t even close to comparable.

2. I used to do the bulk wash. I still do for my golf/athletic socks. It think about it: 20 pairs of socks at once: what are you only doing laundry once a month?? Like I said, I used to be in that category. I was just like you! But I have seen the light. Once a week, usually a Sunday morning or whatever, I just throw them in the machine on delicate cycle. An hour later I grab them and lay them out on the rack. It literally takes less time than brushing your teeth in the morning.

look, you wear socks every day. And it’s not like a tie or pocket square that is mainly aesthetic and superficial. These are an item of clothes that actually touch your body and comfort is beneficial.
I was a doubter too. Then I made the plunge. Best sartorial move I have ever made.
I would recommend:
Purchase 6 pairs of Kirby socks (buy 6 get 20% off, so it’s buy 5 get one free). At $35 per pair and you are looking at under $200 even after shipping. Maintain them by washing once a week and hang drying. I guarantee you will appreciate the effort. If a year goes buy and you don’t think they were worth the $13 per month you paid, hit my up and I will offer a sincere apology.
A bridge too far for me.

I'm already anal enough with hang drying my shirts and shaping the collar rolls.

Socks and underwear being added to that pile is too much of a pain.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hang up loads of stuff to dry on folding rack. Dress socks, Tommy John undergarments, a few Tracksmith pieces, the odd tshirt I don’t want to shrink. No real effort and they dry overnight.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I wear cotton blend socks...never had a problem with them being uncomfortable or not breathable. I have no complaints about them and feel no reason to spend a lot of money on socks. I've worn nice socks too (cashmere, nice fine wool dress socks, etc.) and don't find them any more comfortable that my cheapo amazon socks. Lots of things I'd rather spend money on.
not sure what to say about this.

First, you are wrong. The synthetic fiber filler socks are terrible. They don’t breath well. They aren’t as comfortable. Not sure what to say otherwise. To each their own, but not going to debate this issue as there is no way I agree (maybe the socks you thought were good actually weren’t high quality?).

Second, if it’s a money issue, fine. But in reality the cost difference is negligible. $200 for two years worth of socks is a small price to pay. If you want to wear cheap socks, fine, not here to convince you otherwise. But considering what we all spend our money on, this seems pretty minor.

heck, 5 pairs of briefs from Tommy John will run you more than 5 pairs of socks from Kirby. Same with their undersshirts.
$200 for socks. $200 for briefs, $200 for undershirts. $600 for about 2-3 years worth of wear? Well worth it.
At the end of the day, comfort is king. Minor price to pay for comfort

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
A bridge too far for me.

I'm already anal enough with hang drying my shirts and shaping the collar rolls.

undwrshirts and briefs go in the dryer. I only hang socks and shirts. 4 shirts and 4 pairs of socks a week. Iron the 4 shirts.
Really not a big deal

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sponge and press my socks.
As any true gentlemen should...

A bridge too far for me.

Well that escalated, who said anyting about hang drying underwear?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure what to say about this.

First, you are wrong. The synthetic fiber filler socks are terrible. They don’t breath well. They aren’t as comfortable. Not sure what to say otherwise. To each their own, but not going to debate this issue as there is no way I agree (maybe the socks you thought were good actually weren’t high quality?).

Second, if it’s a money issue, fine. But in reality the cost difference is negligible. $200 for two years worth of socks is a small price to pay. If you want to wear cheap socks, fine, not here to convince you otherwise. But considering what we all spend our money on, this seems pretty minor.

heck, 5 pairs of briefs from Tommy John will run you more than 5 pairs of socks from Kirby. Same with their undersshirts.
$200 for socks. $200 for briefs, $200 for undershirts. $600 for about 2-3 years worth of wear? Well worth it.
At the end of the day, comfort is king. Minor price to pay for comfort
I'm not suggesting my socks are of good quality. I am saying they are plenty comfortable and I have no desire or need to wear anything different. I wear Hanes cotton undershirts too, so I'm sure I'm "wrong" about that as well, huh?

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Ahhhhh, natural fiber socks. So breathable. So comfortable. Can’t believe people punish themselves with synthetic blend socks. Why do that to yourself??

3CA18027-D37A-43BF-9455-A0540C31C2C0.jpeg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 38 14.9%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 41 16.1%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Carmina

Votes: 40 15.7%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • Other

Votes: 79 31.0%