• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Fair enough. Thanks for the advice. Just to clarify, what this guy has going on with this Band of Outsiders jacket is not really correct due to the plain wool flannel blazer?

It's not about it being correct or incorrect, it's about achieving the kind of look you want, and asking advice from people who share that view. That jacket isn't correct or incorrect because of the material (though, I don't think it's ideal), it's just not a cut that jives with the kind of look most of MC is focused on. If that's the look you want, you might find people who are more helpful over at the SWD side of the board. The idea that a sport coat can only be cut in one way is kind of ridiculous, and if you keep asking people here, you'll get answers that basically tell you there are hardline rules about XYZ. That's only true if you're trying to achieve a classic, tailored look, which I don't think is what you're trying to do.

I know its not the best pic, but if you were me, what would you do as a SC? Ill preface with a heavy bias towards the top one, left column.

That one's nice. I also like 880101, 880102, and maybe 880014.

Are you not able to get physical swatches? I've found online representations of color and texture to be really unreliable. I always ask if the company can send me swatches.

Also, can you do CMT?

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That one's nice. I also like 880101, 880102, and maybe 880014.
Are you not able to get physical swatches? I've found online representations of color and texture to be really unreliable. I always ask if the company can send me swatches.
Also, can you do CMT?

101 and 101 are great, if not a little too un-FU for what I want in this though. 014 is nice. This is my ****** pic of the real swatches I have here.

Whats CMT?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

101 and 101 are great, if not a little too un-FU for what I want in this though. 014 is nice. This is my ****** pic of the real swatches I have here.
Whats CMT?

For FU, I definitely like 880001 the best. 880007 might be able to work. 880006 looks nice, but I think it might be too light in shade.

CMT is just short for "cut, make, trim" - which means supplying the tailor with your own fabric and asking him to "cut, make, trim." Some people do it to save costs on cloth (since the tailor will sometimes have a mark up). Others do it because they want to use a special cloth they cant get from the tailor. It comes with some risk, however. If you supply the tailor with your own cloth, you're assuming the cloth takes to a needle and iron well. You're also assuming that the tailor won't mess up and need extra cloth at some point. But ... if you want to expand your options, it can also be nice to do CMT.

You might want to post this question at the Unfunded Liabilities thread. People often ask for opinions on cloth there, and it's where most of such conversations are held.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know its not the best pic, but if you were me, what would you do as a SC? Ill preface with a heavy bias towards the top one, left column.

880001 certainly looks interesting, but I think my favorite on the sheet is 880005. I also like 880008 quite a lot. Not a big fan of the blue check against the olive in 880006 though- the colors just don't mesh for me, though it would add an interesting opportunity to pull the color out with other elements in the outfit.

Last edited:

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whats CMT?

I did a double-take when I saw Spoo ask that question.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

880101 for me followed by 880012

Last edited:

Dewi

Reaction score

I'd go with 880008 or 880015. Or if you want to go full FU, 880104.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Spoo, what fabrics are these?

Some of them look very similar (read: identical) to the H&S Sherry Tweed II book, but the ordering/numbering is quite different and there are also some others that I don't think are in that book. If they are from there, I have the grey/blue-overcheck and the green/yellow-overcheck (I think they might be 2 & 4 from your swatches, but 1 & 4 in the H&S book) currently being made up as jackets at the moment. Just waiting for final fitting. If they are from this book, you can find bigger photos online at http://deoost.nl/hollandandsherry-fabrics-stoffen/sherry-tweed-hs1188
The fabric makes up very nicely indeed, by the way. What I would say is they seem slighter darker/"calmer" when made-up than when looked at in the small swatches, so being a little aggressive on your fabric choice is OK. Anyway, based on seeing them in person in the larger fabric bunch, I liked lots of them. In general I thought the larger scale checks were nicer than the denser ones. There was plum with yellowish check and a charcoal with brown/orange-ish check that were particularly cool. There are some nice donegals towards the back of the book, too, but they're not in your pic and probably not what you're after right now anyway.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Grey Donegal is the way to go.

or a gray/burgundy wool/cashmere mix. :)

880104 OBVI

if not that, im not sure. i like the one you picked, and the one beneath it. or the darker gray (blk/wht) herringbone. or the gun clubs.

:lol:
Who's the tailor?

I KNOW I KNOW!!! but ill let spoo say when he is ready.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Those look more rustic than I'd expect you to go for, Spoo.

880101 for me followed by 880012

Wow, talk about ghost whisperer. How are you both? Its been a really long time.

Thats precisely the book it is, yes. The purplish with the yellow overcheck is the one that I was mentioning that I was leaning towards.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
Cool. It's a great book IMO.

I was thinking about the plum myself, but what put me off it was that it would occupy a similar niche in my wardrobe to a corduroy jacket in a similar shade. IIRC, you've also got one of those. Not a reason to not get it in addition, but I've run out of wardrobe space so need to operate a one-in/one-out policy now, and I still like my cord jacket so didn't want to rotate that one out. Also, the yellow overcheck is just a fraction too "acid" for me. But I think it would be quite wearable. The colour of the shirt would be the key; if you use white, it would have to be an off-white (cream, ecru, etc) rather than bright white. Pale blue would also work, of course.

I think the charcoal/orangey-brown check is quite gorgeous in person; I was sorely tempted by it but figured the green/mustard check would be more useful to me overall. The blue houndstooth and the steely-blue with baby & navy blue checks were also pretty cool. Keep us in the loop with what you decide!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads