1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Or you're a druid and can't wear metal.

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Can't decide between Gaziano & Girling Canterbury in shell cordovan or Edward Green Shannons in coffee suede. Anyone have thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Didn't you just get a pair of Shannons? Why not get a suede shoe?

4. dieworkwear

I did, but it's dark oak antique calf. I really like it and now think I want another.

The question I suppose is - which would look best with grey flannel trousers and tweed jackets?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  5. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I always go with suede if I'm on the fence. Though both materials are on the casual side of the spectrum, the added texture of suede always sets off an outfit, IMO. I also usually only like corodvan for loafers. The rolls created by wearing strike me as odd on a formal shoe (or formal boot).

I would issue a warning about though suede pull tabs, though. I've read many horror stories about suede tabs being pulled off or wearing very poorly. I think it was Fok who said that AS won't put suede pull tabs on any of their boots anymore, even MTO, because of this.

6. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Suede Dovers?

7. dieworkwear

I was unsure about the waviness of shell on a formal shoe as well, but somehow when I think tweed jacket and flannel trous, shell dress boots seem like they'd look better than suede? Would suede just add too much texture? Regarding the suede pull tabs, are you saying fabric pull tabs then?

I'm ordering a pair of those as well, but figured maybe I should get another dress boot on top.

8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would definitely get the cordovan. I love the way it looks on bal boots. Looks great with flannel, I think even better with donegal (and significantly better than suede with donegal IMHO). I don't have any cordovan boots but they are somewhere in my future. Def the next boot I will get.

I'd rather get suede dovers and cordovan boots than suede boots and calf dovers.

9. bourbonbasted

I'm not 100% sure what the complication is with suede tabs, I just remember reading here (and elsewhere) that they are less than ideal. Never having owned a pair of suede boots with tabs, I can't speak to it myself.

I kind of tend to agree with unbel regarding the Donegal factor. While I love the combination of mid-grey flannel and peanut butter suede (I'm wearing that combo right now, in fact), I think it may be a bit at odds with a Donegal and may, to your point, add a bit too much texture.

10. mymil

mymil Senior member

Shell boots looks so good with flannel trousers. I've been wearing that combo pretty much every day it's cold enough.

11. unbelragazzo

Perhaps my favorite trou/shoe combo that I have is some blue flannels with shell wingtips.

12. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Given the distance, I'm not sure how the texture of the jacket impacts that of the shoe and vice versa.

13. bourbonbasted

Likely my over-thinking. But for some reason I see a cigar shell cordovan going better with Donegal than peanut butter suede in terms of the overall tones of the outfit. Though, to your point, I'm sure both would look good.

14. dieworkwear

I don't even fuck with certain environments if it clashes with what I'm wearing. Dark skinned people coming up to me? Not when I'm wearing charcoal, brotha.

1 person likes this.
  15. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

16. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

17. dieworkwear

I know, it's quite tempting.

G&G's might only offer burgundy shell. Not sure how red it is in real life, but that might tip me to suede. I just worry that suede may be too much texture for a tweed, though I know you wear both with great success.

18. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Thanks, D. Yes, I like suede with tweed and flannel (and, and...). I can imagine people like the contrast of smooth and 'textury', but I quite like to go all-textury (as you've probably noticed...).

19. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Am I allowed to suggest that you go for the Galway in shell instead?

Bluchers would be the preferred choice with tweeds and flannels anyway, and the Galway is sleek enough to not be mistaken for a work boot.

I don't really like how shell looks in balmoral anything.

20. unbelragazzo

If loving bal boots in shell is wrong, I don't wanna be right

1 person likes this.