1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

For the price ($800 for SCs and around $1,000 for suits), Mashburn is a great place for OTR. The ticket pocket thing is slightly off-putting and every time I'm in there I make a comment about how much better a patch-pocket offering would be every once in a while. Alas, I am no #menswear insider, so what do I know? Honestly, though, their 42S fits me almost perfectly with some minor collar adjustments.

I will say that the MTM program is a lot less of a deal. With their "updated" process/order, you're looking at roughly $1,200 for a MTM sport coat. At that price it's only a little more for a true bespoke jacket from one of the traveling tailors (granted, the cost of flying/driving to see them isn't in there, but still). I've talked to multiple members who have said if you're going to spend close to $1,500 on a SC, you might as well go bespoke.

In any event, if you haven't been I'd highly recommend stopping in. The shop is awesome and the sales staff are really passionate about what they sell. It's also a great place to grab a free afternoon beer or bourbon.

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Disappointing to hear about the MTM. I'm a pretty short guy, so ticket pockets are a double no-no for me, and I agree that for that kind of money, there are much better options. Still, will have to check them out next time I'm in town.

3. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Honestly, I like the posts where Will complains about some petty nuisance. He remains charming.

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

People on this forum seem to have an unusually tough time buying wallets.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  5. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

:foo:

6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

So periodically I go over to SW&D to try and figure out what's going on over there and try, in the hopes that I might gain insights and valuable fresh perspective. Every time so far I immediately find something that I find so ridiculous that I just leave.

Just now I picked a random recent page in the fashion thoughts thread and it was a guy drooling over a shirt made out of wood. Sigh. Maybe next time.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  7. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I loled.

8. Naka

Naka Senior member

9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

:rotflmao::lol:

That is awesome. I feel the same way. There are a couple of threads that are helpful (usually ones dedicated to specific things--the SNS Herning thread comes to mind) but yeah...

10. bourbonbasted

I have a guy I work with from time to time who is a huge SW&D type dude. He's told me he's on the forum, but won't say which name (he's also on SUFU and SZ). Needless to say he has quite the penchant for clothes that make a "statement." Generally he's either completely in white or completely in black. It's quite humorous when we meet for a project. Like living both sides of the forum.

All that said I think he has, arguably, the most refined personal style of anyone I know. Not only does he never stray from the expected (knocking out the uniform portion of the style equation), but he always has a personal spin here and there that keeps things interesting. Granted, I know next to nothing about the more avant-garde realms of SW&D, but I do notice his attention to detail and insistence on what is his idea of a perfect fit for this clothes.

While I doubt 99% of the people he comes into contact with look any deeper than "that dude is dressed like a weirdo," I think it's important to remember that we all have our own things that we harp on and obsess over. So long as someone takes getting dressed seriously and finds an identity in their clothing, I say all the power to them.

Just as no one will ever understand why we wait a year and a half for an overcoat that we travel to Italy to get fitted for, we can't really judge someone on what they think is appropriate or cool. So long as the due diligence is done and the understanding is there, then the objective part of "style" is undeniably present. The rest is far too subjective to attempt to classify or trace.

3 people like this.
  11. unbelragazzo

To be clear, I didn't mean, sigh, everything over there is objectively ridiculous, I meant sigh, I can't figure out what they're doing. I'm sure it's my own stupidity/closed-mindedness. But every time I make an attempt, it just seems impossibly foreign. Seriously, a shirt made of wood??

12. bourbonbasted

Was it a "bamboo" shirt? I have bamboo sheets and they are the shit.

13. unbelragazzo

14. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

Bamboo is a grass, not wood.

:teach:

1 person likes this.
  15. bourbonbasted

Haha funny that it was Lionheart who posted that too. I remember, not too long ago, when he was a MC type of guy (or at least had MC tendencies). Suppose those are all gone now.

That said, I'll never get the infatuation so many people seem to have with "runway" clothes. There are "dandies" I see from time to time in ATL wearing the most ridiculously designed shit. Designers don't intend on their runway creations making it to the street (usually). I don't see why some insist that everything is wearable.

Also note "such a cool concept" should not be synonymous with "I need this in my closet."

16. dieworkwear

Anyone read The Cutting Class blog? I feel like since most CMers like technical things, that blog is a good introduction to what goes on behind designer fashion. The stuff is truly beautiful.

17. unbelragazzo

Thanks for the tip, D, I will check it out

18. dieworkwear

19. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

That shirt is ugly and gimmicky.

20. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member